NCAA Tournament Selections

Home Forums All StateFansNation NCAA Tournament Selections

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    GoldenChain
    Participant

“My old friend Archie Bell says…:

“Tighten Up!”

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

“My old friend Archie Bell says…:

“Tighten Up!”

And when we “Tighten Up…”

“There’s Gonna Be A Showdown”

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Never a doubt 😐

RE: bid stealers – Oklahoma took someone’s spot…

Our game is at approx 4:30 on Thursday on TBS (following the Kansas game which starts at 2:00).

I’ve got a big presentation on Thursday morning, I’ll be done just in time to watch. Be ready to play boys.

GoldenChain
    Participant

The question is how does Kansas look at the possibility of playing US!

Wulfpack
    Participant

NIT:

1 Notre Dame
    2 Louisville
    8 BC

john of sparta
    Participant

for four seconds i froze:

“After Penn/KU (TBS): (9) N.C. State vs. (8) Seton Hall — Nessler, Lavin and Washburn.”

the Chris Washburn flashback hit, then it faded.

13OT
    Participant

It would be a mistake for us to look ahead to Kansas. Seton Hall, who won the Big East tournament last season, is a solid team and is well coached. Of late they’re playing very well, losing to Villanova by only one point, plus they beat TCU by double digits this season.

The selections were about as expected, but I would have put both Louisville and Notre Dame in the field instead of Florida State and Syracuse. I don’t see how Louisville losing to UVA on a Hail Mary lessens them in the eyes of the selection committee. I also don’t understand what the selection committee saw in “Cuse, especially after the BC drubbing last weekend, culminating a season of blown opportunities. Apparently television needs an audience for these play-in games, featuring the likes of Jim Boeheim and UCLA.

The Big XII was considered the nation’s best conference, so why did they get only 7 teams in the field, especially when you consider KU is a #1 seed? West Virginia being only a #5 seed also puzzles me, as the Mountaineers have had a really good season under difficult conditions, playing in a conference a thousand miles away. They also beat UVA this season.

I guess my nightmare Final Four would be Kentucky, Arizona, Duke and UNC. U of A shouldn’t even be in the tournament, nor should Grayson Allen, who once again showed his a##, both figuratively and literally last Friday night. And Kentucky’s Calipari is the biggest slimeball in the college game today, period.

I would have picked Duke, but now with Allen getting his coach, along with Greenberg, Bilas and Barkley, to defend him, I sincerely hope the Devils go out ASAP.

ryebread
    Participant

I’m thankful we’re in as it beats sitting at home like the last two years. The team has exceeded the expectations of most, and is playing with house money. It’d be nice to extend the season amnother year, if nothing more than for Nard and Abu, who stuck it out through some tough times.

Having said that, I don’t like the draw at all. Is there a tougher 8/9 opponent? I guess Seton Hall is probably saying that. Seeing how we’ve done after long layoffs coming off a loss, I’m going with State in a close one.

The winner gets the privilege of playing Kansas in a de facto home game. They quietly ground out a conference championship in what the computers and media thought was the toughest league (my nod went to the Big East). Our former PG target has had a career year and won’t easily be pressed. Kansas will be fresh and will hammer us on the boards. Just a bad match up, though I do genuinely believe we can beat anyone if we play our A game and hit from the perimeter (and I haven’t said that since Wood was a one man shooting shooting display).

Texpack
    Participant

Cuse had a non conference SOS of around 16 iirc. The committee has consistently rewarded that. It’s why St Mary’s didn’t get in according to the interview with the chairman. I thought Louisville was better than Cuse but they had 0 Top 50 wins. I think that was Louisville’s undoing.

We won enough games against the cream of the crop that our warts (terrible OOC AND LATE LOSSES) could be explained away or overcome. The big lesson from today was that you can play your way into the field in December.

Wulfpack
    Participant

13OT, the committee selects teams, not leagues. And Tex is right on – you absolutely can play your way into this thing the first couple of months of the year (Oklahoma). 2-8, folks. And still easily in.

The committee did consider the Colson factor. Notre Dame would have been in had Rhode Island topped Davidson yesterday.

A couple of mid major coaches have come out and said the quadrant system stacks the deck against them. You know what? I agree. Solid mid major programs cannot schedule tough games. They have every reason to complain. It’s a problem.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22727059/mid-major-coaches-say-new-quadrant-system-hurts-teams-ncaa-tournament-chances

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cuse had a non conference SOS of around 16 iirc. The committee has consistently rewarded that. It’s why St Mary’s didn’t get in according to the interview with the chairman.

What the chairman didn’t address is how can St. Mary’s schedule meaningful non conference games? Nobody will play them. That’s the issue that nobody acknowledges. So Cuse gets countless opportunities to impress while St. Mary’s gets none. Note they were ranked in the top-20 a week ago.

Wulfpack
    Participant

West Virginia being only a #5 seed also puzzles me, as the Mountaineers have had a really good season under difficult conditions, playing in a conference a thousand miles away. They also beat UVA this season.

Lunardi and Palm each had them as a 5. Regardless, is the committee now supposed to take in consideration how far a school has to travel to play its games? If that were the case, Notre Dame would also be in. These aren’t factors (for good reason).

And you don’t think FSU deserves to be in? Why? They got in easily as a 9 seed. Some really big wins.

Texpack
    Participant

Cuse had a non conference SOS of around 16 iirc. The committee has consistently rewarded that. It’s why St Mary’s didn’t get in according to the interview with the chairman.

What the chairman didn’t address is how can St. Mary’s schedule meaningful non conference games? Nobody will play them. That’s the issue that nobody acknowledges. So Cuse gets countless opportunities to impress while St. Mary’s gets none. Note they were ranked in the top-20 a week ago.

The quadrant system makes it easier for the mid majors to get a decent OOC game at their place. You can go on the road and play UNCG and it’s a Q1 game. It was designed to make those kinds of games happen. Houston got games with both Arkansas and LSU this year and they haven’t had near the recent success that St Mary’s has had.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Southern Cal had an RPI of 23 and a SOS of 37 and missed.

GoldenChain
    Participant

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

NCAA had them at 34 but still to your point bet there are some ill feelings in SoCal this morning!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I thought Louisville was more deserving than Syracuse

How so? They were 0-11 vs the RPI Top 50. That is not likely to ever get a bid.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/LVILLE/louisville-cardinals

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

NCAA had them at 34 but still to your point bet there are some ill feelings in SoCal this morning!

When your best wins are Mid Tenn and N. Mexico St, you’re not likely to impress anyone. Finishing second in a bad power conference is not going to carry much weight without some big wins along the way.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Vitale’s big complaint was Okie St. With an RPI of 90, I doubt that they even got serious consideration. Another team done in by a miserable OOC schedule (and a losing conference record couldn’t have helped).

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/OKLAST/oklahoma-state-cowboys

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Along with OK St, here’s a little table illustrating the effect of RPI on NCAAT seeding.

If you based seeding only on big wins, the three 8/9 seeds should be seeded higher than Miami. However, a better OOC schedule gave the Canes a much better RPI ranking and a much better chance of progressing to the Sweet 16.

Anyone who thinks that OOC schedule doesn’t matter, simply isn’t paying attention.

Texpack
    Participant

I thought Louisville was more deserving than Syracuse

How so? They were 0-11 vs the RPI Top 50. That is not likely to ever get a bid.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/LVILLE/louisville-cardinals

Eye test. I know what the issue was when it comes to metrics. I think Clemson was the best win Syracuse had so it wasn’t like they were being compared to teams with a boatload of success against Q1. I also hate Bayhime so some of it is just prejudice on my part as well.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I thought that Syracuse got lucky. With a losing conference record against one of the easiest ACC schedules, I would have left them at home.

I saw one report that the Orange was the last team in…much like NC State with TJ Warren. I thought that State needed one more big win that year as well. I guess it’s better to be pleasantly surprised than pissed off.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Anyone who thinks that OOC schedule doesn’t matter, simply isn’t paying attention.

No kidding. We were 1-2 losses from being left out. Hope Keatts picks up the scheduling from here on out. We also had a fairly easy ACC schedule – won’t always be the case.

Texpack
    Participant

Along with OK St, here’s a little table illustrating the effect of RPI on NCAAT seeding.

If you based seeding only on big wins, the three 8/9 seeds should be seeded higher than Miami. However, a better OOC schedule gave the Canes a much better RPI ranking and a much better chance of progressing to the Sweet 16.

When you look at the 1-68 and see us six slots below VT it has to be about the loss in Bleaksburg. The metrics don’t justify them being ahead of us by more than 1-2 spots if at all

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Oh it clearly matters. I would argue that the committee places WAY too much emphasis on it. I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be a factor, but today it seems that it’s quite over weighted.

Should strength of your opponent of games played in November outweigh a teams’ record vs top 25?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.