NC State at Wake Forest Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State at Wake Forest Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Well, at least our guys can read! (I think)

vtpackfan
    Participant

WTNC….wait til next coach.

I know it’s not going to happen soon and I’m cool with that…but…

Let’s face it that ever since V it has always been WTNC.

inhoc…
    Participant

“Very frustrating loss to a mediocre team with a lousy coach”

Ha, if Wake’s coach is lousy, then……

JaxPackMan
    Participant

The one time Cat drove the lane in last few minutes it resulted in a basket. Other then that one drive and an occasional fast break the offense is one or two passes around the three point line and then jack it up. No one is position for offensive rebounds or put backs.

Looking at it on TV you can’t tell if these are coaching issues or if the players aren’t coachable.

Based on the UVA and Wake games I’m thinking it is going to be another tough season…

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

WolfWiz11
    Participant

@spintk I have been feeling that way about Gott this season. I saw signs of poor game management last year. This year, it’s clear as day. I’m expecting Yow to have a serious conversation with him at the end of what will surely be a subpar season.That full court press just made no sense, WF had way too much time on the clock, they didn’t need a long entry pass. We should have been protecting against an easy bucket down low, make someone get open to take a contested three. And this is just our defensive deficiencies. Haven’t even started on offense.

Jediwolf
    Participant

Hang that on on Gott. Never played Lewis in the 2nd half. Wake zone killed Cat.

vtpackfan
    Participant

I watched on TV and TL was never visible…not like, never played, but as in…gone.

Info..?

BJD95
    Keymaster

WBS was either sick or hurt – per SFN peeps with radio feed.

spintk
    Participant

I still can’t get over the double team on Thomas, letting Miller-McIntyre run free, and then have no one near the rim with blocking capabilities to at least alter the shot.

BJD95
    Keymaster

More depressing music. Night all!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Tyler’s been sick with the flu since Monday and did not practice this week.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    inhoc…
    Participant

“Looking at it on TV you can’t tell if these are coaching issues or if the players aren’t coachable”

Wake’s coach knew exactly what to do with 10.5 seconds left with what Gott put on the floor. Got a basket and a foul. That wasn’t razzle dazzle. It was drawn up. Gott had nothing drawn up with 4.5 seconds left to at least try for a good shot.

You’re saying that’s not coaching?

vtpackfan
    Participant

It was hard telling with Chase, Stats, Wallace sitting down there, but I didn’t get the head count of that one more little white guy in a warm up. Just thought it was odd since Cat is usually given atleast a tiny break in the second half most nights. Not that it really fn matters-they all suck.

I think we set a new amateur record in turnovers via 5 foot lobs in the paint. We are offensively rebounding great and a guy has prime position. Just put up a shot and let him go after the miss. No, better yet, go to the Sally 5 foot lob pass again.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Don’t think Tyler would have made much of a difference tonight….
    He can’t solve our problems in the Paint by himself.

And FWIW…. there were reasons Mr. Barbour didn’t get more offers from the top tier bball schools.
    Athleticism was not one of them.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackFamily
    Participant

Lewis was sick. He left the game and was not there in the second half.

spintk
    Participant

Don’t think Tyler would have made much of a difference tonight….<br>
    He can’t solve our problems in the Paint by himself.

And FWIW…. there were reasons Mr. Barbour didn’t get more offers from the top tier bball schools.<br>
    Athleticism was not one of them.

@bill
    .onthebeach, BARBER is one of the key reasons we have won the games we have. These passive-aggresive digs at individual players are cheap and old. Comment on a particular play, decision, past games, etc. But don’t try in one broad, obscure swath to chastise a player.

vtpackfan
    Participant

The last 4 didn’t matter since we had no TO. We couldn’t have drawn up a play. Doesn’t matter since Cat would have had to be taken off the floor for anything other than what was seen to occur.

We just get screwed by the zone every night. We came out and went 0 for 3 against it (all outside shots) and that set the tone for another polar bear face paw with claw to the eyes for good measure.
    WTNC.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Watching college basketball these days is nearly unbearable at it is. Watching this team isn’t something I can stomach much longer. I have no reason to be excited even when we’re winning. Gottfried will figure out real quick that this isn’t Tuscaloosa. Lot of folks around here actually know what good basketball is.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

anybody with the Gottfried post game comments?

spintk
    Participant

Gottfried’s post-game comments are pathetic. Looks like this is who we have for however many years. The man needs to grow a pair, take the blame, call out the refs, get mad . . . something . . . ANYTHING! Sitting up there saying, “Turner had some good looks. Some good shots you want him to take.,” doesn’t help. Give it a rest! You are lying to our faces now.

It is going to take a lot for Gottfried to win me back over. A whole hell of a lot. To start, he can put the kibosh on all the excuses. Everytime he flaps his lips an excuse spills out. Just stop already. If he does that, it’s at least a step in the right direction. I would imagine that Yow will let his contract go to the last year if need be. Not good when there are already murmurs around the basketball program that Gottfried might not have what it takes.

Adventuroo
    Participant

WufPacker – CBS finally updated….it was 52, but I found WF site and the REAL game Box score. I was betting at least 25%….but was LOW….look at the end..

I GOT it figured out….the ref’s are suffering from a mild case of CO2 poisoning from the Demon Deacon’s Harley.

Tyler had the flu. Did not practice much. Played the first half. Then was ill and dehydrated. They kept him in the locker room and were working on him to make sure he is recovering.

The game was OK in the first half….I am NOT blaming the Ref’s…they probably whistled it fairly, but their impact (both ends) on the flow really sucks….Dorsey & Luckie…..what more can you say….

Luckie’s AFPG – 36.8
    Dorsey’s AFPG – 39.5
    Hull AFPG – 38.8
    Average FPG – 38.4
    Fouls 2nt 52
    Percentage over AFPG – 35.4%…..YIKES…..Probably a SEASON HIGH for them….
    THIRTY FIVE point FOUR PER CENT above their AVERAGE…..

Obviously the Zeb’s were really ON THEIR GAME TONIGHT….

packer74
    Participant

These guys couldn’t throw the ball in the Pacific Ocean, standing on the Santa Monica pier facing west. There are no words to describe how painful it was watching that feeble exhibition of shooting by what is suppose to be a DI basketball team. Gott needs to go to the gym and find a walk-on intramural player that can shoot. This team is non-competitive, fundamentally weak and the game coaching is questionable at best. ACC record: maybe 5-13, 6-12. Done watching this train wreck. Frees up 4 hours a week for watching Big Bang Theory reruns.

vtpackfan
    Participant

Cat gives a ton of effort. It APPEARS his speed of play is freakishly ahead of his mental grasp of things. Part of that is inexperience, for sure, but some of it could be why other major programs backed off. There might be a “clean slate” up there if you catch the drift.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I’ve only been critical of his team’s defensive play, questionable substitution patterns, and inconsistent effort and mental lapses, all the while recognizing that he’s better than anything we’ve had in 20+ years. But I’ll go on record saying that I think Gottfried is a shyster, a folksy two-bit hustler who doesn’t really have the drive anymore, and doesn’t really appear capable of critiquing himself as a coach. What happened to all he supposedly learned while away from the game? Win or lose, I don’t like him.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Unfortunately I had the honor of attending the game in person. I’ll share what I seen from the game.

1) screening is piss poor. When you set screens you initiate contact with a good base and weight in your hips. We did neither. Good screens create open shots and defensive lapses. We must get better at that.

2) their zone killed us. You thought it was bad tonite wait till we play Syracuse. We might only score 18 points the entire game against them. To beat the zone you have to move the ball quickly. We simply did not do that. You move the ball quickly to get the defense out of position. Instead, what you saw tonite was simply a pass, hold the ball for 3 seconds, pass, hold the ball for 3 seconds, blah blah. We also didn’t try to get the ball to the middle of the zone. Why I don’t know. We could have run X or 32 against the zone to create gaps back side. Coach never tried to change this. Instead we passed the ball around the perimeter and settled for jump shots. Exactly what the zone is meant to do.

3) if we are running plays the guys sure as heck don’t know them. Anya is on Planet Rock out there. He simply has no clue what’s going on. We must have set plays to run to create motion and then count on our guys to be basketball players and make a shot or drive when given the opportunity. To me it seems we’re just counting on our guys to be athletes and make plays or to throw it to TJ and expect him to go 1 v 3 to the middle. Coach needs to realize that he’s in a gym and not on an asphalt court. This isn’t pickup. ORGANIZATION.

4) the last play of the game was horrible. Why in the world do you choose to double a post player who 1) can’t dribble, 2) is running the opposite of his teams basket and 3) leave the inbounds man unguarded. Did coach really expect him to dribble up the court? Yes I understand you double first pass with under 5 seconds but when you have 10+ seconds on the clock you have to play man and keep yourself between ball and basket and if you get beat help side defense better be there.

5) Devon Thomas had 4 fouls on him with 7 minutes to go. Why in the world would you not try to get Vandy the ball to try to get him to pick up his 5th?

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 232 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.