NC STATE at MIAMI Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC STATE at MIAMI Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Buckets 27pts
    Turner 17pts
    V 4
    Lee 3
    Lewis 3
    Nard 2

Miami 55.9% ORbd.

We had no business winning that game.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We are NOT good at end of game situations. It’s like we’ve never played basketball a day in our lives.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

BJD, just add “end of game situations” to Free Throw shooting and Defensive Rebounding on the list of things we must never practice.

MrPlywood
    Participant

re: rebounding – granted, it must improve, but as Odom pointed out the ball was going right to Miami a lot of the time (in Miami’s end)

BJD95
    Keymaster

I still can’t fully believe what I just saw. Madness. That might have been the stupidest minute of basketball I’ve ever seen. Yet we still somehow won.

packalum44
    Participant

We fouled him on that heave. Hahahaha they could have called that. Kyle is an idiot. Two idiotic plays to end game.

Bill I prefer high tempo game with full court press and good defense. However we don’t play good defense. Awful really and we have better personnel this year. We can’t mask it with good offense this year. We play even worse pressure D. Never seen Gott use it. Seen 3/4 press some but it was executed so poorly I cringe. It only works if you create turnovers and have athletes and technique to do it.

K turns marginal athletes into good defenders. Gary did it. It’s not hard for really smart coaches. Coaching is zero sum game. One loses for every win. You just have to be smarter than other coach. It’s a chess match all else equal.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Want to know why it was going right to Miami? Because 90% of the time every State big is trying to block the shot, even if it takes 3 to try to block, thus leaving Miami players all alone to grab a rebound.

MrPlywood
    Participant

There were a lot of long rebounds off of jumpers, that’s what I was referring to.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Also, we continuously give up +45% ORebounding to the opposition. Once or twice and you can say it’s the bounce of the ball. All freaking season and it’s a trend.

packalum44
    Participant

If anyone actually enjoys watching Gotfried coached teams you may be a perverse individual. Of just ignorance is bliss.

Yow can’t be pleased with Mark over last two years. A trend is sprouting up.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Let me say this….

CUZ made the difference this afternoon !

Now… here’s the secret recipe…

In the second half… CUZ was clearly more focused, more determined to get the job done for the entire twenty minutes.
    Starting at the 5:43 mark in the fourth quarter…
    Eight straight free throws … nothing but net… at the end… says it all.

CUZ seems to be motivated by those around him…. the better everybody else plays the better CUZ plays.
    In the first half… well … CUZ mostly watched.
    In the second half… well… CUZ wasn’t going to “watch” anybody.

We all want to see more of that.
    Book that Coaches.

Our BIGS did not impress today… but if you have seen the ‘Canes play this year… you know their NoName-BIGS are tough, workmanlike guys who can match up well with and push most anybody in the country.

That said… to be the Team we can be… we GOTT to get more out of our BIGS…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

I enjoy watching State play, I guess I must be perverse AND ignorant. Good to know.

Fastback68
    Participant

Still LMAO. Nobody and I mean Nobody plays basketball like NC State. Crazy ball. Back to .500. Good Times.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

44…

What did you think about that ‘Cuse – Dook game last weekend ?

You’re right, at least conceptually, good/great defense is worth 5-10 wins a season by itself.
    But the problem is…. that NOBODY in high school coaches or plays good defense anymore….

What Coach Rat, Williams, Boeheim and a few other dinosaurs ( Bennet at UVA, Freeman at FSU too ) do consistently is to take kids with decent athleticism AND who are COACHABLE and over a couple of seasons teach them how to play solid team defense.

But they are starting from scratch with their freshman every season.

AND they keep their kids on campus for 3 or 4 years…. they are not playing the one and done game like Kentucky and some others.

You are also right when you said

“You just have to be smarter than other coach. It’s a chess match all else equal. “

I said the same thing on another thread back in December. This is even more important when you have a team of “kids”….
    Good Coaches ought to win 3-5 games a season simply by out coaching the other Coach.

Gott & Company has a lot of strengths…. but this is an area where they may still have some room for improvement…
    That said…. we have not seen anything crazy coming from our bench in the last two minutes of the game for over a month now.

And back to Rick’s comment…. Coach WISH players would / could do what they tell them to do.

Coach-ing v. Coach-ablity.

That’s the most fundamental question in college basketball today.

It IS just like watching your kids grow up.

44 — you got any kids yet ??

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I said it was going to be eye bleeding to watch this game and they didn’t prove me wrong.

Wulfpack
    Participant

K, Bennett, Hamilton teams play great defense EVERY year. Some coaches GOTT it and some don’t. This is not an emphasis in our program.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

State made 7 fg’s in the second half. The last one came at 6:32 remaining. That’s right, we didn’t make a basket during the final 6.5 minutes of the game. Every made basket was in the paint. Warren went 8-8 on FT’s during the final 6:30. Turner went 1-2. Washington went 0-2.

MBS
    Participant

I hate to find out that I’m ignorant and perverse, but I think this team can be fun to watch. Besides, 5-5 right now is not so bad. Duke, Virginia, and the 2nd half of Pitt were horrific, but 4 out of 5 since the Duke debacle is strong. We have SO far to go, but the good news is, we’re 5-5 in the league and improving steadily.

Having said that, we were lucky to get out with a win today.

Texpack
    Participant

Didn’t even look at the site until the game was over. It’s interesting to read what everyone’s thoughts were after the fact. Simple formula today. Turner bombs carried us in the first half. Warren carried us in the second half. Ugly win. Move on.

BJD95
    Keymaster

They CAN indeed be fun to watch. Not today. But escaping with a win gives us a much better chance to see fun shit to watch the next couple of weeks. Lose today, and you are in a competitive and psychological hole too deep to climb out of.

BJD95
    Keymaster

And I dunno what happened the first 17:52 most of us were stuck with Pitt/VPI. But the last 20:00 was some of the consistently worst PG play I’ve seen since poor Gavin tried his hand at the position.

Not blaming WBS. Cat was every bit as bad when he played.

Rick
    Keymaster

And back to Rick’s comment…. Coach WISH players would / could do what they tell them to do.

I am NOT talking about them doing everything a coach says perfectly. What I am saying is if a coach really wants his team to play defense or rebound they will, for the most part, do it.

JeremyH
    Participant

Good Win! (Because its a win.)

I had a hard time watching the last couple of minutes, because I knew it would be decided on a last second sort of deal. I kept flipping to cross-country skiing to take the edge off…

There was a moment where we were up 6 with 6 minutes left, had recovered a rebound, and Warren threw it away on a break. If we had slowed things down more at that point, it just wouldn’t have been such a close finish. If Lewis can provide a little more offense, then we can have him in there when we need him, the steady force that he can be.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I’ll take the win and call it karma for last year’s loss.

Let’s back those guys from Wake and then head to Clemson and get a couple of games over .500 in the ACC standings.

Is this a great team? No. But considering everything, the team is exceeding expectations a bit.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Only problem Alpha is we have @Syracuse between WFU/Clemson. I’m going to go out on a limb and call that one a loss now.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.