NC State #8 in the East — Plays LSU

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State #8 in the East — Plays LSU

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    john of sparta
    Participant

+1.
    agreed.
    we caught a Big Bracket Break.
    we have to take advantage of it.

WTNY
    Participant

LSU’s lone national title came in 1935

NOPE. This is a Helms Foundation “title” — the same California baker that gave the Holes their fake 1923 title.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Here’s info from USAToday, complete with a couple of nice diagrams. Not exactly sure how to read them, but when State’s on defense it looks like we have LSU covered.

http://q.usatoday.com/2015/03/15/ncaa-tournament-march-madness-bracket-bracketology-kentucky-wildcats/

WTNY
    Participant

Couple of interesting stats:

* The head coach at LSU was an assistant for Gottfried at Alabama in 2000-2001

* This is the first trip to the big dance for LSU in six years. Hope “just happy to be here” is a factor for them.

redisgood
    Participant

We have the late game Thursday. Villanova goes at 6:50, we play after them.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

One of LSU’s guards is Keith Hornsby. He lit us up for 20+ a few years ago when he played for App State.

I expect he will be under the Cat’s paw for much of the game Thursday night. Cat’s one of the best defenders in the country, and it won’t be his first picnic against a tough opponent.

The LSU “NBA frontcourt” will be facing a good rotation of good bigs, and I would expect that our will cancel out theirs. The real question then immediately becomes whether or not they can match our backcourt, which I do not think that they will be able to do.

This is not going to be an easy game, but it is one that our players will have to look at as one that they can and will win. It’s going to require poise and complete game effort, but we ought to win the first round.

PapaJohn
    Participant

LSU took Kentucky to the wire, lost by two. Came closer than anyone else to beating them all season. Gonna be a handful.

redisgood
    Participant

Does anybody know what time we play? Or when we find out?

We play after Nova. They play at 6:50, so probably somewhere between 9:30 – 10:00.

theTHRILL
    Participant

Whenever I feel my hopes getting the least bit high, I remind myself that (1) we are NC State, and (2) we were embarrassed this year by Wake, Clemson and BC.

JeremyH
    Participant

* This is the first trip to the big dance for LSU in six years. Hope “just happy to be here” is a factor for them.

Don’t think our guys don’t remember, one year ago, dropping a game they should have won after the play-in.

PackFamily
    Participant

I was wrong about our seeding. I thought the committee would just divide RPI by 4 and move up or down no more than 1. We got a lot of credit for road wins and SOS.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Don’t think our guys don’t remember, one year ago, dropping a game they should have won after the play-in.

And should be well past the “happy to be here” stage.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Re facing Hornsby, that’s just the way it is.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

If we shut Hornsby down, we’ll be Sailin’….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Congrats to GOTT and the Kids !

IIRC… #28 in the country… exceeds the expectations of most observers…
    … as does 4 NCAAs in a row.

Since we are no longer in control of who are opponents are…
    Does that matter?

Not really. They got to beat us too…
    We’ve beaten three TOP 15 teams already this season.

We just need to PLAY our game…

Play smart.
    Play hard Defense.
    BIGS GOTT to be BIG.
    Shooters GOTT to hit their Shots.

Everything will be fine.

And the momentum and lessons of 2 or 3 games in this NCAA will set the stage for next season.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

We’ve beaten three TOP 15 teams already this season

Notable wins (Top 25 RPI – H/A/N):

NC State 5 – Duke (H); 11 – Cheats (A); 21 – Louisville (A)
    LSU 19 – Arkansas (A); 24 – West Virginia (A)
    Villanova 14 – VCU (N); 23 – Prov (H+A+N); 25 – Georgetown (H)

Just interesting to compare, that’s all …

rtpack24
    Participant

Hornsby played for UNCA and hung 26 on us. 6’4″ leaper who is a spot up shooter. Does not handle the ball much. Very athletic and can run the floor. Will be interesting who Gott has check him, I believe Cat will guard their point guard because he has ball most of the time.

redisgood
    Participant

Yep, I think Trevor will get 1st crack at him, and possibly Dez will get some PT as well.

The LSU team reminds me very much of the Tennessee team we played and beat last year. They had two big bodied projected NBA draft picks in Jarnell Stokes and Jordan McRae. Lennard Freeman had a great game and was a big part of shutting them down. I think Gott & Lutz will have a great game plan for neutralizing LSU’s two big guys.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I was wrong about our seeding. I thought the committee would just divide RPI by 4 and move up or down no more than 1. We got a lot of credit for road wins and SOS.

One thing that you have to remember is that the math will start to break down after the 7th seed or so because teams will be left out with better RPI rankings than State.

redisgood
    Participant

If we shut Hornsby down, we’ll be Sailin’….

Hornsby will get his 15-20 points no matter what. LSU begins and ends with Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey. Both are 1st team All SEC players. Leading point getters, rebounders, and shot blockers. One know on them is they are turnover prone, so they will see lots of pressure from our bigs.

They also have a couple guys who can get hot from the 3, and these are the kind of players who kill us sometimes.

WallyB
    Participant

Re facing Hornsby, that’s just the way it is.

No you didn’t just go there.

I recall that Bruce H is a UVA guy and actually quite a baller himself.

Tau837
    Participant

under the Cat’s paw

Love this phrase.

BJD95
    Keymaster

under the Cat’s paw

Love this phrase.

Trap him like a mole!

redcanine
    Participant

Ricky Scagg’s boy plays for them too.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Yep, I think Trevor will get 1st crack at him, and possibly Dez will get some PT as well.

The LSU team reminds me very much of the Tennessee team we played and beat last year. They had two big bodied projected NBA draft picks in Jarnell Stokes and Jordan McRae. Lennard Freeman had a great game and was a big part of shutting them down. I think Gott & Lutz will have a great game plan for neutralizing LSU’s two big guys.

I think this is a good comparison.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.