N.C. State vs. Pittsburgh – 12pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation N.C. State vs. Pittsburgh – 12pm

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I would take Anya or Abu on one leg over Vandy. Any day, and twice on Sunday. Let them do what they do well, and their offensive games will evolve.

Cat’s value to this team? If he sat at midcourt every halfcourt set, he’d be invaluable for his plus-plus on-ball defense. If there’s any justice in this world*, he will be ACC DPOY.

* I’m 41, certainly old enough to know there is not.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Only meant someone with Vandy’s height. And I was one of his biggest detractors over the years, but he really did step it up last year. We need one of our bigs to step it up in the same way. I’m not saying to ACC POY level, but Vandy really made a point to contribute in his own small way, whether it was cleaning up misses, grabbing boards, or just playing tough D. And that was huge b/c the rest of our bigs were young and untested.

choppack1
    Participant

Team looked great. After being down 6-1, it was absolute domination… Now, can we continue with that level of intensity and execution? That’s the big question, we have nice talent and depth…effort and execution will have us in the dance.

Texpack
    Participant

Anyone else notice State never looks to push the ball on a defensive rebound? They get excited on blocked shots but a normal defensive rebound is so ho hum that we instantly go into slowdown mode and settle for halfcourt play?

No time to comment on this during the game.

Hardcore running teams send their guards to the hash marks for the outlet pass as soon as the shot goes up. We need our guards crashing the boards because we give up too many offensive rebounds. Frenchie is our most consistent rebounder at this point. Until the other bigs pick up the defensive rebounding, we won’t be able to afford to get the guards out. That is why we run better off of blocked shots.

ancsu87
    Participant

^ Exactly

TheCOWDOG

Tex be on it. They need 3 on the glass and one in the box, right now.

They run when the deep rebound goes their way.

So be it. It’s a three guard make up so to speak, and they ain’t exactly gazelles out there.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

There’s a reason why Lacey and Anthony are averaging 9-10 rebounds a game …
    Because they can…

Not all guards can and will rebound.

While our BIGS still need some help at times with rebounding, esp. against some teams…
    that doesn’t matter as much as this…

Until we’re getting 70-80% of the defensive ones and 40-50% of the offensive ones…
    If I’m coaching… everybody is looking for a rebound OR hitting the boards on defense…and three or four on offense…

With the three point shot… there are a lot of long rebounds… which the BIGS ain’t going get on their best nights… so that’s where the outside guys really help out..

Then I might catch’em by surprise a couple times a game when needed and send Anthony long…

We don’t pass and catch that good – yet – anyway…
    So… One rebound == 2 x One fast break…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

This is also why MG (rightly) likes big, physical guards – they can rebound. Cat plays bigger than he really is, so does Lacey (who is already plenty big).

choppack1
    Participant

Sorry I ain’t buying it. I saw times when cat could have pushed tempo but he didn’t.

Even if guards crash the boards they can still get out on the break…its will, stamina and persistence. Heck, cat is usually the fastest guy on the court.

Heck watch great point guards…they push it all the time.

I think a lot of this is cat trying to play under control and not be a ball hog (and stay out of those nasty double teams.)

Heck, from my perspective I would much rather try to score against guys running backwards.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Next up, Hell Week

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^chop… I know the feeling well … but if you gonna Coach… you GOTT to play the percentages… and see the big picture… and then you can then do like ‘ole Gaylord Perry… ’cause you’ll “know when to take some off and when to put some on”…

Wait until next year or his Senior year… I guarantee you Anthony will be doing both and at the right times for each… and that’s why he’ll be first team ACC…

But this season he’s GOTT to learn how to do ‘what he don’t like to do’.. and get as good at that as the other…

Basketball is a “Player Development Business”… which why they are not ‘problems’ but ‘weaknesses’ to be corrected…
    ——————–

^john… you damn sure GOTT that right… “it’s gonna be a twelve mile run… blindfolded in the dark…”
    and some might not make it to the end…

choppack1
    Participant

Bill – I think it’s better for both cat’s development and the team if we are pushing tempo.

I do look for cat to take a big leap next year too. He’s tough and improving.

Will be fun to see how we play against uva.

Loved the effort and attackinng from Cody today. That’s exactly what I want to see from barber. Realize that if one guy has you in the open court you will likely get no better look in the half court and are more likely to get fouled.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop… since we’re just talking and nobody’s gonna say anything wrong…

May I ask a question and it’s not a trick one?

You’re the Coach… and as I said on at least one fundamental level this is a “Player Development Business”… and let’s just agree on those two points…

Why would you “knowingly” put your best player(s) in a position where there is a higher probability of failure than you’re comfortable with and then have to take two or three steps, or weeks, backwards to recover?

Now let me add… this is a “judgement call” every time out and nobody gets it right all the time and what I’m not saying is that the Coach should not push his kids to do the things they don’t want to do and to do things they need to do to be successful that they haven’t done yet… ’cause that’s exactly what the Coach is supposed to do….

… so there’s no right or wrong answers… I’m just curious to see what you might or might not say…

blpack
    Participant

Good win today. Maybe we can get on a roll after beating U*NC. Every team can be had on the road. Let’ go Pack!

choppack1
    Participant

It depends. If cat has shown he isn’t capable of driving the ball in those situations that’s one thing…if he’s not comfortable that’s another.

I don’t know. In general, I think its better to push the tempo and I have hard time believing that a McDonald’s all American guard isn’t capable. But I am not at practice either.

I don’t have access to analytics coach may have either. So, its entirely possible coach gott is making a data driven decision.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… I got that chop… thanks..

Anthony was a MDAA for scoring… nothing else…

I’ve been to a few high schools games this season… bottom line is the most of the kids who play year round and jump out of the gym ain’t GOTT half the basketball sense us ‘WBWCJ – Carmichael Gym rats’ had at their age…

Anthony’s not the only one and State’s not the only school that learning and teaching at the junior high school level…

Botom line Guys like Tony Warren and Lacey are rare…
    Then they don’t stick around for four years unless they have to much anymore either..
    which make ‘Player Development’ really tough…

My gut say GOTT ain’t looking at charts on this kind of thing…
    He’s a eye-to-eye kind of guy who knows pretty much what he looking at and knows what Anthony gonna say before the words come out of his mouth..

Just like me and you raising our kids… you know…

Wufpacker
    Participant

Why would you “knowingly” put your best player(s) in a position where there is a higher probability of failure than you’re comfortable with and then have to take two or three steps, or weeks, backwards to recover?

I see it the other way. Right now, Cat’s biggest value is speed/quickness. Putting the governor on that speed is willfully negating a weapon, and doing the opposing teams’ job for them, not to mention retarding Cat’s ability to develop that part of his (and the team’s) game.

Gott should listen to the Salt n Pepa Geico commercials.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^There are no one dimensional guards, either at point or on the wing, playing in the NBA…..

It’s a Player Development Business and that’s how recruits measure schools – not by their W/L records and not by their flashy uniforms… There’s also a reason Anthony didn’t go to UK, KU, Dook, zNC etc. etc. etc… which doesn’t mean he can’t go to the NBA… just that there was consensus coming out of high school that he had some serious work to do…

Your job as Coach is to build the areas he’s deficient in much more so than to enhance those in which he already excels…
    which brings us back to my question above…

unless…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Posted on the ‘other’ thread tonite… but fits in better here…

Interesting takes from Kobe Bryant on AAU and youth basketball

“AAU basketball,” Bryant said. “Horrible, terrible AAU basketball. It’s stupid. It doesn’t teach our kids how to play the game at all so you wind up having players that are big and they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap and they don’t know how to post. They don’t know the fundamentals of the game. It’s stupid.” …

“Teach players the game at an early age and stop treating them like cash cows for everyone to profit off of,” he said. “That’s how you do that. You have to teach them the game. Give them instruction.” …

“I was kind of fortunate because when I was growing up in Italy, the Red Auerbachs and the Tex Winters and all those great coaches were doing clinics and camps in Europe. They were teaching all the club coaches, and the club coaches were following their advice and their fundamentals like the bible, and they were teaching all of us kids that type of stuff. Me, Manu [Ginobili] and all these guys that grew up around that same time, we’re a product of that. It’s a big difference.”

Wufpacker
    Participant

Agreed. If I was to identify Cat’s two biggest areas of need, it would be perimeter shooting, and decision making when he takes it to the hole, either on the break or when he penetrates.

As a team, we flow better when we push tempo.

Instead of taking Cat’s foot off the pedal, I’d be more inclined to have him push tempo, and work on helping him recognize what his options are, including when he should pump the brakes and back it back out to reset if he doesn’t have the numbers and has no good dish option.

But not letting him push and learn is bad for both him and the team IMHO.

But, it’s certainly not happening in a vacuum, so as you said, no right or wrong answers necessarily.

tractor57
    Participant

Using the watchespn thing I was trying to watch the replay of today’s game. All good until suddenly things crashed. Then like a good boy I went to the Watchespn menu and imagine my surprise. Game not listed. Not a happy camper and ESPN “customer care” is clueless.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok… wp…

Let’s just say “All basketball is easier and a lot more fun when you running full speed… I know it was for me… anyway…

The problem is that unless you’re playing for Jerry Tarkanian, or one of his recent clones, you only get to do that about a third of time you’re on the clock, either within the game or number of fast games v. slow games per season….

So if you suck at the slow game and don’t want to learn it… then take your pick…

Belgium
    Finland
    Italy
    etc… etc.. etc…

or go play football for them DAMN DUCKS…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^speaking of sucking in the half court game…

Mr. Stick’s beloved Tiggers have 19 points in 24 minutes tonight…
    I think we can beat them twice… even if ABU play point guard…

Wufpacker
    Participant

Definitely agree that it’s easier to slow a fast team down than vice versa, and that pushing tempo is a ‘pick your spots’ kinda thing when the other team is dedicated to slowing you down. Trying to push tempo isn’t necessarily meant (not by me anyway) as playing out of control with your hair on fire and forcing things that aren’t there.

But for Cat, he’s still learning to recognize the difference, and there’s no real substitute for just doing it.

ryebread
    Participant

Nice performance in a must win game. Good job to everyone involved with the program — coaches, players, support staff, etc..

This was a well officiated game as well. The refs really didn’t impact the game at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 283 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.