Move ahead, put it in the past

Home Forums All StateFansNation Move ahead, put it in the past

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

More money I give more pissed I get when I see losers… I work in finance (CFA & CPA)… I have some professional experience judging character and competency.

Isn’t it fiscally irresponsible to finance a (in your opinion) losing proposition by throwing good money after bad? I don’t know why you would continue to contribute funds to a program that you’re obviously unhappy with, and has such a low ROI. I must be missing something.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Why are we still talking about “moving on” instead of just moving on…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Bill – I am ready and excited for tourney.

I am not ready to crown us for next year.

Since74
    Participant

Forget the losses, I’m psyched for the tourney.

Went to the Pitt game and DT and Tommy were sittin 3 rows behind me. Got the fist bump from the Skywalker and a good awkward arm shake from Gugs. Maybe most of you have met’em before or played golf with ’em but it was a first for me and I’m feelin good omens.

Go Pack!

Since74
    Participant

Blam! Nailed the 4:20 post. Good omens.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Maybe I didn’t say it right…

I am excited for this tourney as much as anybody…
    Win or lose … this Team’s journey thru this season has been one of the best …
    in a “just watching our kids grow up” kind of way…

But we are playing with ‘house money’… and we’re getting paid back on this season’s investment three times…

First … we get the fun of this Tournament…
    Second… For Turner, Dez and Staats… memories and a couple of more life lessons maybe that will last a lifetime
    Third… For the kids returning next season…

Where ever this Team “finishes” this season… that automatically will be the “starting point” for next season…
    The better we do in the tournament …. the better we do next season… ceteris parabis…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

But we are playing with ‘house money’…

I don’t understand this line of thinking, and I hope that the players and coaches don’t, either.

House money, to me, means nothing to lose.

You’ve played through the highs and lows of a long season. A lot of growth. A lot of teaching moments. A lot of memories. You’re now at the end of the road, with as good or better of a shot than most.

To make that next step as a program, which is what I think most Pack fans want to see, beyond just being in this thing, is to see us become a team that can a long way in it, year after year. Let’s not settle for just being there. Why should we? Have we not shown we can compete, and beat, anyone? What was all that hard work, that growth, for?

Where ever this Team “finishes” this season… that automatically will be the “starting point” for next season…
    The better we do in the tournament …. the better we do next season… ceteris parabis…

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. A new year is a new team. Different faces, different chemistry, new roles, a new set of challenges. We’ll be marked next year. The word is out. Will we step up?

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Did anyone else watch the first half of the Duke/ND game and think, “This isn’t fair?” If they’d played like that the night before, it could have been a tie ballgame at the half instead of a blowout.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I watched it, Packer. Duke gut flummoxed the same way we did. Notre Dame had the game plan. Okafor can go for 30, but we’re shutting down the shooters. And Winslow was all out of sorts the first 20. It worked well in the first half, which is where it was won. Notre Dame has showed me a lot this year. That’s a good solid team. They are certainly beatable, but with Grant, the shooters, and now the freshman Bonzie Colson coming along, they are a very tough out. Good solid team.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And as good as Okafor is (incredible footwork, soft touch), he is a lousy defender, especially as to positioning, and his free throw shooting is awful. Those are going to rear their ugly heads in the NCAAs. Not knocking the kid – he’s the #1 pick and for good reason. But certainly some things to work on.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

And as good as Okafor is (incredible footwork, soft touch), he is a lousy defender, especially as to positioning, and his free throw shooting is awful.

It was clear that the plan was to take it right at him – drive him and make him react. It worked. I was hoping State would have that advantage Thursday night, but ehhhh …

Anyway, it would serve Okafor well to put in a lot of hours on footwork and positioning. He’s got all the tools if he gets the fundamentals in order.

choppack1
    Participant

Packerinrussia – I wasn’t wondering that. We got duke after 5 days off. The domers got them after 24 hours off. They aren’t a deep team and they extremely hard. Their legs were gone.

I wanted duke after their first game. When I saw our bigs and lacy dragging a bit Wednesday I figured Thursday we might not have enough in the tank.

I think we can do damage in the dance. Hopefully, we are not an 8 or 9 seed. If so, hopefully we aren’t in Kentucky or Wisconsin’s bracket.

As for next year, we should enjoy this year because we simply don’t know what next year will bring..aside from what the experience of being a middle-aged state fan has taught me: @ least one of those 7 cards in your hand that you like so much will get lost or you’ll screw up the hand.

graywolf
    Participant

choppack1 wrote As for next year, we should enjoy this year because we simply don’t know what next year will bring..aside from what the experience of being a middle-aged state fan has taught me”

I understand the sentiment: when you think things are finally looking up NC State s*** happens.
    Also, you are correct when you say next year looks interesting at best. Who replaces Turner and where is our recruiting going at the current time?

backthebackagain
    Participant

choppack1 wrote As for next year, we should enjoy this year because we simply don’t know what next year will bring..aside from what the experience of being a middle-aged state fan has taught me”

I understand the sentiment: when you think things are finally looking up NC State s*** happens.
    Also, you are correct when you say next year looks interesting at best. Who replaces Turner and where is our recruiting going at the current time?

As some posters have said in this and other threads, Yow fired TOB for the exact same reason. Mediocre results, piss poor recruiting and a fan base that became uncaring. Couple that with her top 25, championship talk then next year is going to be interesting for a plethora of reasons. This was a big issue I have always had with Yow, whether it was in person or during press conferences, she has a tendency to run her mouth and not think before she speaks. See the Garry Williams/sabotage, national news article, etc. She puts herself in weird situations and next year may be awkward for all parties involved.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We could very well be a preseason top-25 selection next year. It’s possible. While praise is nice, we never seem to handle it well. Just when you start to read the press clippings….

BJD95
    Keymaster

Henderson is a more athletic BSW. Steps right into the lineup.

Biggest issues are complete lack of PG depth and an injury or two would kill us. But our lineup 1-8/9 would be as good as almost anybody’s. I would seriously give us a puncher’s chance at a Final Four if we stayed healthy.

PG – Cat
    SG – Lacey
    SF – Henderson
    PF – Frenchie
    C – KH

Bench – Twin A, Twin B, Abu, Angel of Death (if he comes back)

Henderson can play some 2, the twins can play anywhere from 2-4, which gives us tons of versatility EXCEPT at the point. Cat’s great, Lacey is sometimes adequate in short bursts.

I hope one assistant is scouring the country for the elusive Alex Johnson clone. Or alternatively, NC State’s version of Krieger is working on creating one.

backthebackagain
    Participant

Henderson is a more athletic BSW. Steps right into the lineup.

Biggest issues are complete lack of PG depth and an injury or two would kill us. But our lineup 1-8/9 would be as good as almost anybody’s. I would seriously give us a puncher’s chance at a Final Four if we stayed healthy.

PG – Cat
    SG – Lacey
    SF – Henderson
    PF – Frenchie
    C – KH

Bench – Twin A, Twin B, Abu, Angel of Death (if he comes back)

Henderson can play some 2, the twins can play anywhere from 2-4, which gives us tons of versatility EXCEPT at the point. Cat’s great, Lacey is sometimes adequate in short bursts.

I hope one assistant is scouring the country for the elusive Alex Johnson clone. Or alternatively, NC State’s version of Krieger is working on creating one.

Hence, thats the rub. We should be good next year, on paper we look awesome. But as NCSU fans we know the devil is lurking in the shadows

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting observations from the ACCT. Coach K was rather stoic and emotionaless. OK….he was still breathing….saw one of the assistants put a mirror under his nose.

As a “watcher”, we noted that Coach K was not really into the game until midway through the second half. He called a TO at the 18:18 mark of the FIRST HALF. That may well be a record for the earliest TO that he has called in 20 years.

After that, as ND started to manhandle Duke….he just sat there. Maybe he was doing the mental exercises to determine WHAT to do to stop it rather than make impulse decisions. A vocal DOOKIE behind me had the solution on every play. Each time a Duke player would make a bad play…yank him. Each time a Duke player had the ball outside the arc…SHOOT. Really obnoxious.

The TO’s were really ugly. Neither team put on a clinic. It was “shoot and pray”. Pass and HOPE someone will be there.

Okawhatmacallit has NOW been crowned as the new HANSBROUGH. He was Duke’s secret weapon during the second half. He was in the lane…bumping and grinding like a stripper. Shuffling his feet and pushing off. The Ref’s seemed to be oblivious to that. I guess Mikey texted them during the half and “explained” things.

Mike Bray was more into the game….and fully engaged. It was a sloppy called game. Very similar to our game with the Dukies. It was also a very boring game….until about the 10:00 mark. The old “Win with 10 at 10” is now more like “maybe win at 2 with 10”

The Dukies were a somber crowd as they left….I THINK I witnessed that on Thursday night….except they were RED people. The loudest cheering for Duke came from the Lobby area…where the scalpers were congregating. They wanted a UNC – Duke Match-up. Tonight’s game in the uppers is $45….and the scalpers were only paying about $10 – 15. LOTS of Dukies (of the WM variety) had sad faces….there goes next week’s grocery or beer money.

Can’t pull for UNC….did not pull for UVA….but Tony Bennett looked like he DID leave his heart on the court. UVA is NOT a comeback team. Actually, like us….is more of a TEAM….than one Super Star and a supporting cast.

That is what did in Duke last night. ND’s scoring was uniform. Duke was centered around the Big GUY…

Will be an interesting matchup….rainy day this morning…..no music from the other RV’s….need some sunshine….

bill-1956
    Participant

Interesting observations from the ACCT. Coach K was rather stoic and emotionaless. OK….he was still breathing….saw one of the assistants put a mirror under his nose.

LOL – that’s pretty funny. Have a good time at the game today, roo.

Would rather not get UK the second game. A 10 seed would be fine with me. Under seeded but rather than being insulted – winning 2 games with a week to rest, practice and game plan – yep – we could make some noise in weekend two.

I hope KW and all the guys stay. That’s been the best part of watching this team. It’s a team. Not a one-and-done with supporting cast. It’s been fun, and sometimes exasperating, to watch them grow and learn and improve.

This has been the most fun watching NC State basketball since the ’80s.

Let’s hope we get a good bracket on Sunday.

GO PACK!!

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – lots of assumptions there. I think Henderson will be our next good/great transfer that gott has wisely leveraged to build his roster.

I’d like to see lacy lose some lbs in the off season. I want him looking like tj last year or bonzi wells this year. But, if those players you mention all return (that’s a huge if) we can play with anyone in country and should be able to get into the top 4 in conference and a top 5 seed.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I chose wisely last night and DVR’d the right game (Iowa State/Oklahoma). And Hoiberg’s team/roster looks a lot like how Gott has assembled our merry band. That gives me some optimism as to the direction we MAY be headed. We truly can be fun AND dangerous AND really good. Without top 5 recruiting classes every season.

Incoming transfers really are a key leverage point that shrewd coaches use to their advantage. They make the difference between being a true contender and being “plucky.”

BJD95
    Keymaster

Also, damned good point about body transformation and the parallels between Buckets and Lacey. Buckets went from good to dominant when he did that. It wasn’t that he was FAT before, but he came back CUT, and it made all the difference. Extra half-step on offense, and a HUGE leap forward on defense (which Lacey similarly needs to take).

Tau837
    Participant

Last year, I predicted lewis would transfer. I didn’t have any scoop – just a good melody, an understanding of the way college basketball works and IQ over 59.

Apples and oranges. It was obvious that Lewis was overmatched in the ACC and there was a better PG on the roster. I’m sure to Lewis is was obvious that Gott would choose Cat over him. I don’t think many people who follow the team were surprised at his transfer, so I’m not sure why you predicting it is meaningful.

Tau – I am simply saying that I think there’s a decent chance 1 (or even 2) will weigh their options. Of those 2, barber is more likely (especially after the scare last night.)

Why? Why is there a decent chance that Cat, Lacey, or Anya will weigh their options? Any of them would be foolish to go pro… is that what you are referring to you when referencing Cat’s “scare”? If Anya went pro, he might get drafted, but probably late second round at best. I strongly doubt Cat or Lacey would get drafted.

So you are likely talking about transferring. They all appear to have fine relationships with the coaching staff and their teammates. They are all locked in as starters. They have all improved in their time in the program.

If you have a basis for posting this stuff, then say so. If you don’t, and this is simply idle speculation, why post it at all?

But what I am saying is we can’t afford to lose cat, Anya or lacy if we want a special season.

Fine, then say that and leave it at that, unless you have a basis to say more.

We typically have one early departure for the league at least one transfer. So I won’t be surprised if we have another.

Yes, we have typically had one or more departures from the program. One was talented enough that it made sense to go pro early, and he did. We had one who transferred due to a family situation. The rest transferred due to role/playing time. None of those reasons apply to Barber, Lacey, or Anya, unless there is a family illness we don’t know about.

If you noticed I haven’t criticized gott for transfers or kids for going pro or even kids for transferring… But please by all means feel free to start stuff with me. I have only been a die hard pack fan for 25 years I obviously just want to start stuff.

Pretty much everyone who posts in this forum is a die hard Pack fan. I have been for 30 years. That doesn’t give you a free pass to post negative stuff like this without any basis.

You are one of the best posters in this forum. I’m surprised to be having this exchange with you, but I have to call it like I see it.

Gowolves
    Participant

I think Abu starts next year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I could see any 2 of the 3 main bigs starting.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.