Move ahead, put it in the past

Home Forums All StateFansNation Move ahead, put it in the past

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

4 bubble teams with another bubble team coming in year 5. Hail to Gottfried.

To me a bubble team is one that is nervous on Selection Sunday. Since we earned our way in before the conference tournament, I don’t see us as anything but a lesser accomplished at large team.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Ohio more likely, think Okie fell to a 10/11 last night.

I’m not saying State will definitely win or even draw a favorable match-up, but what I’m most positive about today is that State will almost certainly draw a team that has almost no business being seeded ahead of them.

Obviously that positive feeling is largely dependent upon Cat’s status.

Rick
    Keymaster

My apologies for even expecting that someone is transferring. Hopefully no one is, but we’ve got a barn full of bigs in a 3×3 pen. In this day in age, no one is happy to be a part of the team. They’ve all been told their the next great, with phenom scores through the roof, Nike deals around the corner and they all want to score baskets.

Why would you expect it as it no one has yet to transfer under Gott.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Move on? Yeah.
    Put it in the past? Maybe not. Use it to fuel your hate-fire.

I had similar thoughts last night when the announcers (during ND/Miami I think) said we should just burn tape of last night’s game. We better keep that tape and go thru it meticulously.

You can bet at least some of our future opponents will.

Gowolves
    Participant

Alpha, don’t know why you respond to that troll. He knows the deal. PA44 exists to just stir crap where there is no crap.

Tau837
    Participant

I believe the first play Washington was in the game was when his man Plumlee dunked on an inbounds play because Washington lost him.

IMO that sums up why Washington hasn’t been playing. Anya, Freeman, and Abu are all better players, because Washington is a poor defensive player. Many fans perceive him as a better offensive player, but he really isn’t:

– His shot selection is poor
    – He is worse than all of our other bigs at offensive rebounding, likely because he spends too much time on the perimeter
    – He has a terrible free throw rate, again because he is too perimeter-oriented, so he rarely gets to the line and rarely draws fouls on the opposing big men

The other bigs may not have as much skill in terms of shooting and scoring, but they are generally better at offensive rebounding and setting screens, which is an important role for our bigs on offense. Freeman is the epitome of the guy who does important dirty work, and Anya and Abu have the highest upside and need the minutes to keep improving. There are only so many minutes.

I like KW and hope he doesn’t transfer. But he deserves to be the fourth big in the rotation right now, and a tighter rotation often will not have many minutes for the fourth when the first three are playing well and not in foul trouble.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

True story. KW could turn into a Deshawn Painter, a decent contributor by year 4. The defense and shot selection are the two glaring killers to me. That’s hurting your team right there.

Rick
    Keymaster

Alpha, don’t know why you respond to that troll. He knows the deal. PA44 exists to just stir crap where there is no crap.

Actually I do not believe him to be a troll but rather someone who really dislikes Gott.

choppack1
    Participant

A couple of thoughts on previous posts.

1) if you’re going to press (which cat was doing) – then expect the other team to do what they can to break the press.
    2) the “ruthlessness” you saw by the Duke team and players gives you a guess why they have so many banners hanging under coach k.
    3) regarding the bubble – if your tourney hopes come down to the last week of the regular season (which ours did) – you’re a “bubble” team. Its easy to forget that not even a week ago we were 8-8 with 2 games left in conference reeling from the BC loss.
    4) gott has done a good job to go to 4 tournaments in 4 years. There are still unanswered questions at this point in a 14 year coaching career in major conferences whether or not he is capable of winning a natty or even produce a team that is consistently in the top 3rd/upper tier of the conference.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Comrades! Always have faith in GLORIOUS FIVE YEAR PLAN!

What kind of Reds would be otherwise? DA?

Gowolves
    Participant

Ok maybe not a troll but one negative MF’er. Even during the wins he grips about something. Maybe he needs to get laid more?

Heelh8r
    Participant

^An obvious man crush on Archie.

choppack1
    Participant

Nicely played bjd! I am hoping that year 5 brings an upper tier finish and nice NCAA seed. However, there are 3 players we cannot afford to lose the upcoming off season and I think we all know who those are.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Cat, Lacey, Abu, Anya, Freemon…I can’t cut it to three.

StateRed44
    Participant

Boy it would be awesome to slip down to an 11 seed based on scheduling or other snafu and get into Maryland’s bracket. I see them as a weak 3 seed and one we would not be in “awe” of. I want no part of Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona. Praying for Gonzaga or Maryland for possible round of 32 opponent. Very unsure of Villanova, haven’t seen them play in years.

StateRed44
    Participant

As far as Gott goes, I’m happy considering this last stretch. We win in Chapel Hill about once every 10 years. Last win over there against one of their legit teams was Les Robinson with Tom Gugliotta. The losses that bothered me the most this year were Clemson at home and Wofford at home. If you consider a small “what if” Warren would have acted like a Chapel Hill product and overstayed, boy we would probably be in the top 10 right now. That’s the type of teams I think Gott can give us. Maybe next year, huh? Now if we crap the bed next year and again lose 10+ without mitigating circumstances, I’ll revisit.

choppack1
    Participant

Heelh8tr – I should have said “who could be weighing the option” of leaving…. I don’t think Abu or Freeman are going anywhere.

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

Very true. But it’s uncheat’s mantra.

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

this:
    Move ahead, put it in the past

Does it seem like we say that alot, or is just me?

theTHRILL
    Participant

Aside from drawing Kentucky (who we would have 0 shot at beating) I refuse to speculate as to who our opponents might be. Does it matter? Every game for this team is a roll of the dice to the degree of none I’ve ever seen. Analyze matchups, list “keys to the game,” etc., the only thing that matters is what’s going on between the players’ ears at a given moment. I expect us to lose every single game and am pleasantly surprised if we win.

packalum44
    Participant

Not a troll Ive been reading since 2003 and posting since 2007 or 2008. In the Chancellors Circle. More money I give more pissed I get when I see losers.

I work in finance (CFA & CPA) and used to underwrite hedge fund managers. I have some professional experience judging character and competency. Not a fan of Gott. Pitt fans provide a refreshing breath of independent air to bash Gott. We are crazy to fool ourselves.

Tau837
    Participant

Heelh8tr – I should have said “who could be weighing the option” of leaving…. I don’t think Abu or Freeman are going anywhere.

So since he said Cat, Lacey, Abu, Anya, Freeman, you are implying that Cat, Lacey, and/or Anya may be weighing their options on transferring?

If you are saying that, based on what?

If you aren’t, why post this BS?

choppack1
    Participant

Tau – I am simply saying that I think there’s a decent chance 1 (or even 2) will weigh their options. Of those 2, barber is more likely (especially after the scare last night.)

Last year, I predicted lewis would transfer. I didn’t have any scoop – just a good melody, an understanding of the way college basketball works and IQ over 59.

If you noticed I haven’t criticized gott for transfers or kids for going pro or even kids for transferring… But please by all means feel free to start stuff with me. I have only been a die hard pack fan for 25 years I obviously just want to start stuff.
    We typically have one early departure for the league at least one transfer. So I won’t be surprised if we have another.

But what I am saying is we can’t afford to lose cat, Anya or lacy if we want a special season. Hopefully, all 3 come back to school. Hopefully, the Martin twins both stay, hopefully we have just 1 transfer.

choppack1
    Participant

I think we can have a special, non-bubble season if that does happen.

choppack1
    Participant

The domers showing why you wanted a bye before you played this years devils.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.