It Must Be Friday… The Story that Never Ends…

Home Forums All StateFansNation It Must Be Friday… The Story that Never Ends…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… ya’ll ain’t gonna believe it….

*NC asks for ANOTHER outside “review”… of the ongoing ‘scandal’ in the Hole.
    details here:

And of course… they waited until AFTER they spanked the Dookies and us in basketball…

Speaking of which….Uncle Roy said after his game last night…
    ‘…the only time I’ve had fun in the last nine months has been when I’m on the court with my kids…’

How much more can anybody take over there without absolutely losing their sh$t ?

For the rest of us…. this adds AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR to the *NC endgame.

Stock up on the beer and popcorn boys… sit back and continue to enjoy the show.

Inquiring minds might ask…

“Just what difference is another ‘review’ going to make in the final outcome?”
    or “Is this not another case of just throwing good money after bad?”
    or “Wonder what the Gubernor Pat has to say about all this?”

Methinks in the end, it’s just the same old story… more questions than answers.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Headline: UNC-CH seeks new outside investigation of academic irregularities

Quote: “UNC President Tom Ross and UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt have hired Kenneth Wainstein, a former U.S. Justice Department attorney, to review information uncovered during a State Bureau of Investigation probe of the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies.”

Now, I know WRAL seeks to fellate UNC-CH at every opportunity, but let’s not confuse the difference between an ‘investigation’ and a ‘review’, shall we???

NCSU88
    Participant

I love the way scandal has become irregularities.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

What scandal?

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Wainstein is a UVA graduate. That part is a tad interesting. His law degree is from Berkeley. Certainly had a high profile at various times in his career. Given his assignment here is reading documents, one might think his hiring is a bit overkill. This seems to be more of acting role than an actual investigation. Let’s see…haven’t we seen this film before….the one featuring former Governor Jim Martin in his acting debut? Hmmmmmm, I can taste the popcorn already Bill!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If I’m counting correctly… since 2008 or 2009…
    (not necessarily in exact chronological order)

1. *NC ‘investigation’ #1 — by athletic dept. compliance folks… re: Marvin, Greg, BMFD, et al….
    2. NCAA investigation relating to Marvin, Greg, BMFD, et al….
    3. *NC ‘investigation’ #2 — by administration re: Marvin, Greg, BMFD, et al…. which led to…
    4. Independant ‘investigation’ #1 — by Governor Martin and the ‘consulting’ firm…
    5. Orange County DA’s ‘investigation’… which lead to…
    6. Secretary of State’s ‘investigation’…. and ….
    7. SBI ‘investigation’….
    8. Dan Kane && the N&O’s ‘investigation’… which led to
    9. Multiple other ‘News’ organization’s ‘investigations’….
    10. Durham County Police and DA’s ‘investigations’ re: all things Fat’s and PJ
    11. *NC ‘investigation’ #3 — by athletic dept. compliance folks… re: Fat’s, PJ and Leslie
    12. NCAA ‘review’ relating to Fat’s, PJ and Leslie…
    14. CNN’s ‘investigation’ re: D. Crowder and Prof. N’rangoo
    13. *NC ‘review’ #4 – by new Chancellor Folp…
    and now…

14. Independant ‘investigation’ #2 by Mr. Wainstein…

Did I leave anyone out ??

wufpup76
    Keymaster

‘…the only time I’ve had fun in the last nine months has been when I’m on the court with my kids…’

JohnGalt78
    Participant

^ or reading “Goodnight Moon” to them at bedtime.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

How does that make Mrs Williams feel?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Gott’s comments on the radio postgame re: *nc were lulz-worthy …

I’ll type ’em up in a sec

Edit: Oops wrong thread

Greywolf
    Participant

*nc hires outsider for independent review. Is there an oxymoron in there somewhere?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Tangentially related, Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges.

http://deadspin.com/raymond-felton-arrested-charged-with-weapons-possessio-1530443974

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Directly related hereto is this….

*NC-CH probe could cost $990 per hour

–Just wishing we could all get a “piece” of this…. Ha!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Not to make light… yeah, I’m gonna make light of it. Best comment on Deadspin: “Needless to say, the weapon was not a jump shot.” lmao.

But seriously, I’m sure he was just holding the gun for PJ.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

By chance, did Felton find the gun on the shoulder of a road?

tjfoose1
    Participant

^ or reading “Goodnight Moon” to them at bedtime.

You sure that wasn’t Chicken Little?

NCSU88
    Participant

A Corn

NCSU88
    Participant

Sorry for the multiple posts. Trying to add a picture and not having much luck.

pakfanistan
    Participant

a corn

StateFans
    Keymaster

I still am trying to figure how anything is ‘independent’ when the bill is being paid by the school!

When you buy a house, the bank doesn’t let you hire/engage the appraiser for a REASON! The person paying the bill is the person whose interests get looked after.

StateFans
    Keymaster

The Atlantic — Sports Scandal Reports: Not that independent, not that investigative

Although the word “independent” is used frequently throughout the reports to emphasize the impartial nature of the investigators, the reports are quasi-independent at best. The investigators, after all, are paid by the leagues they’re investigating. The frequent use of “independent” in these reports is the kind of calculation Patrick Hruby described in detail at Sports on Earth when he spotlighted sports leagues’ now-unremarkable habit of borrowing communications strategies from the political sphere.

The PR language generally works as intended. For example, in virtually every media report about the Wells Report, “independent” was used in its noun, adjective, and adverb forms. The usage started early. When the NFL announced the retention of Ted Wells in November, their short press release was on message, and the Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross repeated the term in his statement last Friday.

Another shared feature of these scandal reports: The investigators hired to inquire about the various past scandals all were also hamstrung in three distinct ways, differentiating them from governmental law enforcement. First, subjects who voluntarily submitted to questioning as part of the investigation were neither under oath nor strapped to a polygraph machine. There was no perjury charge looming overhead if false or incomplete testimony was proffered. Second, the investigators lacked subpoena power. They were unable to compel anyone to speak or turn over documents, emails, texts, or any other tangible or electronic evidence. Third, the investigators did not have the authority to organically search for certain evidence given laws restricting such activities by private investigators. As a result, the inquiries were handicapped in ways government-authorized investigations are not.

pakfanistan
    Participant
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… so it appears this bird is singing to save her own feathers….

http://www.wral.com/unc-ch-staffer-won-t-be-charged-in-academic-fraud-investigation/13449382/

NCSU88
    Participant

Another story on Crowder from WNCN. Nice collection of links at the bottom
    http://www.wncn.com/story/24883830/da-no-charges-for-crowder-in-unc-fraud-case

pakfanistan
    Participant

Howwwwwww do they still have banners. How. Where is the justice?

I need scorched earth. Rivers of blood. Lamentations of the women. Sackcloth and ashes. Pillars of salt.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.