#Gameday: Pack in Black

Home Forums All StateFansNation #Gameday: Pack in Black

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Ass hats all around. Clueless whiney bitches.

If you did not expect an offensive shootout early, with the ‘Pack pulling away in the 2nd half, you have not been paying attention. No worries, you’re just the average mouthy fan. But if you’re gonna make asses of yourself, I’d suggest a contemplative pause to reflect if you really truly know wtf you’re talking about.

If you can’t see the MASSIVE increase in talent that DD has brought to the program, you can use your blindness as an excuse for your clueless ignorance.

If you can’t see the improvements in play and scheme, you’re forgiven, for they are subtle and not readily visible to a layman’s eye.

That said, the DL was manhandled early. Pathetic. Other than that, the game went pretty much as expected.

Youth dominated defense going from facing a triple option offense (GSU put up 83 pts this week, btw) in week 1 to a passing spread offense in week 2. An offense lead by a Sr QB who won the Walter Payton award last year.

Our defense has no established leader and no true veteran in the back 7 for others to look to for guidance on the field of play. Essentially a trial by fire of the masses. And our starting nickle back has yet to play. It was gonna be ugly. It will continue to be ugly through the first half of the season.

Last week 20 freshman played, 50 total 1st or 2nd year players. I expect similar numbers from game 2. That has an effect on execution. That effect is magnified by the lack of veteran leaders in the back 7 of our D.

Most reasonable folks were expecting 5 to 7 wins this year. No matter how much ’44 moans and whines, that’s still the case.

As I mentioned in a previous post above, the jury is still out on DD, but I’ll go on record now and say I like what I see. I don’t know how successful he’ll ultimately prove to be, but I’ve already seen enough on the field and from his staff to know he’s definitely the best head coach NC State has had since Sheridan left after the ’93 season.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Maybe we should cancel the first 3 quarters, and just play the forth. Seems that way the last 2 weeks. This defense scares me. Thought surely after last week, they would step it up. NOT! They basically ran 2 plays, the hand off to the RB, or the QB pass. We knew that, but continued to not stop it. We had a real chance of ending the game in the forth on the forth down and a mile, and let them off the hook. Poor tackling, and pass coverage, as well as giving the QB way too much time. But all that being said, we won. But we have got to correct these issues, or our wins are going to start turning into losses.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It’s speculation, but I think if the Wolfpack was not facing an offense from practically the opposite end of the spetrum of week one’s opponent, we would have seen improvement.

Instead, it was an offense lead by a smart talented veteran QB running a spread offense against an inexperieced back 7 with an underperforming front four.

Coaches were pretty much stuck with sticking with the base D almost exclusively. I remember only one or two blitzes when it was obvious they were going to run.

There was coaching from the sideline during presnap, but without experienced veterens on the field, that was about as exotic as they could get with the ongoing adjustments, given the circumstances.

Coaches played it smart and fell back to their clear strength. Numbers and conditioning.

It’ll get better. Also got some pre work in on the basics for the GT and Clemson games.

Texpack
    Participant

The offense is miles ahead of last year. V-S had three drops last night that would have made the offense look even better.

The defensive line looks worse than last year and I’ll offer the caveat that it might actually be LB play that has regressed, but our lack of pressure on the QB last night was telling.

I agree that you can’t pass judgement on DD until next season at the earliest. He had too much ground to make up after the previous staff retired on the job rather than recruit true D1 talent. With two of the guaranteed massacres pretty early on the schedule, we will have the opportunity for any improvement that might occur in season to pay off with an “extra” win later in the year.

LifeLongWolf
    Participant

Preach it, ‘Foose. You are 100% correct.

Specifically in regards to criticism of going for it on 4th down:

In my opinion, punting is WAY overused at all levels of football, primarily as a way for coaches to avoid taking direct responsibility for potential losses. DD’s tendency to go for it on 4th down shows that he isn’t afraid to take responsibility. I am glad to see it.

YogiNC
    Participant

Ass hats all around. Clueless whiney bitches.

To be fair foose we ARE muddling around in the dark here. It’s a given that QB from ODU is no slouch. No matter what the competition level is you don’t amass 11K yards in a career (with a season left to go) without having some things on the ball. I can’t ever remember a team anywhere as young as ours. And it shows at times, and that is the frustration level. The whining should be directed at TOB. That bunch was too lazy and too stoopid to see what they were doing to our program with their lack of commitment to recruiting. It’s just painful to watch the results. One thing to remember is that DD is still learning too. You cannot question his passion though, and somehow someway he was able to muster the troops and come away with a win two weeks in a row when I for one amongst many thought we would get smoked in both cases. To rally young kids to overcome those deficits is immense. TOB couldn’t have done it. CTC, with all his bravado, fell short too.

Smarter than the average bear

mak4dpak
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, I checked up on Georgia Southern. Even though the opponent was Savannah State, they won 83-9. That is alot of points for anyone. So a one point win over them doesn’t seem so bad.

freshmanin83
    Participant

mak4dpak wrote ” They basically ran 2 plays, the hand off to the RB, or the QB pass. We knew that, but continued to not stop it.”

I am not sure what you are saying here. Is it that they basically ran the exact same running play and the exact same pass play all night?

13OT
    Participant

“A one point win over them (Georgia Southern) doesn’t seem so bad.”

What would someone think, if they’d last been inside Carter Finley Stadium in the early 1990s, of seeing the Wolfpack in black last night, the opponent’s band performing at halftime, and Pack fans generally pleased despite having been pushed around most of the game by Old Dominion?

Welcome to the new and improved ACC.

Where in the world will we be 20 years from now?

Wufpacker
    Participant

What would someone think, if they’d last been inside Carter Finley Stadium in the early 1990s, of seeing the Wolfpack in black last night, the opponent’s band performing at halftime, and Pack fans generally pleased despite having been pushed around most of the game by Old Dominion?

Speaking of “What If” scenarios that are both meaningless and funny, but yet still have no basis in reality and are therefore completely irrelevant….

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m feeling warm and fuzzy towards Foose.

I should probably go to the doctor and get that checked out.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

UNCheat out of top 25 where they never belonged in the first place.

Zaphod
    Participant

First ever post, long time reader, State fan since I was old enough to understand sports. Saw games in Riddick as a child, was in Reynolds when DT returned from his fall in the NCAAT, standing in one of the entrances because my dad and I walked in at halftime with no ticket…

Was going to post last week about how NC State Fans appear to just totally suck in the new millenium, but decided against a negative first post. So here’s a more positive first post…

I saw a team last night that was still very young on defense, but had made huge strides on offense. We had the ball 4 times in the second half, and scored touchdowns on all 4 possessions. We had 9 total possessions in the game and scored on all but 2, and one of those was the missed field goal. Brissett to me seemed very in control of the offense, and the o-line was blowing ODU off the ball the whole 4th quarter. And Shadrach’s last touchdown, he ran right through the ODU defense. Someone posted earlier that the S&C coaches should be rewarded, and they were right. We have finished both games this season clearly stronger than the other team.

Biggest stat of the game to me? 1 penalty for 5 yards. The whole time TOB was here, we got as many stupid penalties as we did when Amato was the coach. Anyone remember the game three years ago when we had 9 defensive offsides penalties against Miami? This team plays with discipline, and efficiency. One turnover, and 5 total penalties means they are not beating themselves, and just that change alone means I see improvement.

I hope the defense gets better…it needs to. But the offense has already gotten very good. And they are not beating themselves. Doeren has already made progress in my book.

Greywolf
    Participant

Zaphod,

Greywolf
    Participant

Welcome. Your post is right on.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Zaphod — excellent post, and I agree. The offense has improved leaps and bounds this year. Defense is lagging, but hopefully will start playing whole games like they play in the fourth quarter so far.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Zaphod, you should post more often.

I saw defensive improvement from wk 1 to wk 2. Foose is right, the youth of the unit, along with the diametrically opposed offensive schemes, have given the coaches fits. Look for more obvious improvement next wk.

If offense keeps improving as well, they’re gonna be really fun to watch in the second half of the season!

Gotta say, I’m having fun watching these youngsters play this yr.

mak4dpak
    Participant

A work in progress! But at least it is progress. Go Pack!

tjfoose1
    Participant

Biggest stat of the game to me? 1 penalty for 5 yards… One turnover, and 5 total penalties means they are not beating themselves, and just that change alone means I see improvement.

Exactly. A huge indicator, a very telling point, especially when considering the number of freshmen that are getting playing time. One of the reasons why I wrote:

I’ve already seen enough on the field and from his staff to know he’s definitely the best head coach NC State has had since Sheridan left after the ’93 season.

Rick
    Keymaster

I’ve already seen enough on the field and from his staff to know he’s definitely the best head coach NC State has had since Sheridan left after the ’93 season.

I have alwasy professed to not know that much about football so I ask this with all sincerity. Why do you think this? All I see is us struggling against what appear to be weak teams. Your answer may just be “low bar to hurdle”. IDK

I do know TOB left a complete dumpster fire. IMO he had no plans to return after Glennon’s senior year and so did not even try on the recruiting trail. He and Fowler were robbing this university. But it seems to this football illiterate that DD has taken a bad hand and played it poorly.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I have alwasy professed to not know that much about football so I ask this with all sincerity. Why do you think this? All I see is us struggling against what appear to be weak teams. Your answer may just be “low bar to hurdle”. IDK

I do know TOB left a complete dumpster fire. IMO he had no plans to return after Glennon’s senior year and so did not even try on the recruiting trail. He and Fowler were robbing this university. But it seems to this football illiterate that DD has taken a bad hand and played it poorly.

I don’t know much about football either, but I can touch on some of that.

1) Discipline, we’ve been much better with penalties, and that’s with freshmen playing.
    2) S & C, clearly several steps above TOB
    3) Offense, we’re balanced in a way that we haven’t been in a long time
    4) 4th quarter attitude, this team wants to win, and they’re learning how

Just IMO.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Oh, and turnovers.

Rick
    Keymaster

Good points

Anyone have some more “technical” reasons?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t have any technical reasons, but I don’t think it really matters. Unlike Obama and his supporters, you can only blame the previous administration for so long. But regardless of this year’s results, DD will probably get four or five years to win. If he does that, then he will have the option to stay. If not, then I’m reasonably confident he will be gone.

(Don’t turn this thread into a political debate. The free shot at BJD was just too good to pass up.)

pakfanistan
    Participant

Unlike Obama and his supporters, you can only blame the previous administration for so long.

Good lord, really?

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.