Game Thread – Wolfpack Football in Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Game Thread – Wolfpack Football in Blacksburg

Viewing 12 posts - 326 through 337 (of 337 total)
  • Author
    Classof89
    Participant

The latter simply better never happen again. A weak schedule is NOT an opportunity to have a special year (unless your team has no flaws), it’s a recipe for disaster because your team hits conference play less prepared/battle tested than your competition.

I absolutely agree, BJD. As a season ticket holder, I will be all over Yow’s butt with irate emails if they ever ask me to buy tickets for a schedule like this again.

On the other hand, next year after we get punked by ND and ECU at home and go 4-8 or 5-7, I might be wishing for another scintillating matchup with Eastern Kentucky…

tjfoose1
    Participant

The schedule whining is getting tired.

Sure, the 4 non conference games are not what any of us wanted, but it wasn’t planned out that way. Originally, the ACC was going to be playing 9 conference games this year. Also, 2015, I think, as originally planned was to be the year we played LSU or Notre Dame, that is, before the quasi addition of ND to the ACC and LSU bought out the contract.

It wasn’t the first time State was left scrambling, schedule wise, which is why we got the 2-for-1 deals.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I do…and we can play the moneyline.

For what it’s worth, probably nothing, but going into the Louisville game, State was 7-0 in its last 7 in covering the spread. Since, 0-2.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Foose – in a vacuum, I totally agree with you. Extenuating circumstances out the wazoo.

But this is a pattern with our football scheduling, and my impression is we don’t try very hard to “fight” the buyouts, or replace them with real matchups. Nor do we negotiate very well. I am not convinced this has changed with DY any more than the dumbass EZU shit, despite the fact that the Basnight mafia no longer controls state government. Inertia is a bitchy thing.

There’s also the matter of Doeren’s public comments. All he has said on the matter is “I like to schedule wins” or something of that ilk. Don’t like the sound of that one bit.

Not to rehash old arguments, but there is a vast “sensible center” between what we have been doing and this red herring “murderer’s row” hypothetical schedule.

tjfoose1
    Participant

^ Can’t disagree. However…

The complaining has been positioned as if the schedule was by design. At WORST, it was a quick fix. My understanding (though I can not attest as gospel truth), is that the administration did try to get bigger schools, but were unsuccessful due to the time constraints and the demand from NC State that it be a home-and-home (as opposed to NC State getting a one game deal with the Wolfpack on the road). The administration even had difficulty promising paydays for smaller schools. Thus, we wound up with 2-for-1 (2 games at CF for 1 game away) deals with FBS schools outside the Power 5.

As for DD’s comments, he said he wouldn’t apologize for the schedule. What was he supposed to say? He went on to make the point that for a young team in only his 2nd year, he’d prefer the schedule he had vs a 1-3 record. Now that logic can be argued, but that’s not the argument that has been made.

I didn’t like the schedule either, for the reasons now being espoused by the Monday morning QB’s (and my suspicion is that DD didn’t too much care for it either, but he’s certainly not going to admit that, and the reasons why). I wasn’t going to, and haven’t, complained about it because I know how it came about.

Somewhere in the past few years I remember DD talking about his philosophy of an ideal schedule. I promise you, the 2015 version was not it.

Anyway, your points are understood and have merit. I just get tired of the clueless whining from some.

Greywolf
    Participant

I was asking for the collective opinion of the smart posters here. I was not advocating.

“If the season is lost, then it is more reasonable to shift to the long view.”

Sorry Tau, since this was not a question I had trouble knowing you were asking a question. Had you put a question mark after the above sentence it would have helped understand that you were asking a question. Switching the “it” and the “is” around making it a question rather than a statement might have also helped.

TheCOWDOG

Tau. I’m one of the dumb posters, but hear me out.

The season is never lost, or even considered lost after a weird 1st loss(and I do mean it,) and an ass handling on the road.

So…ya don’t even think that sh#t.

Now…changeup,is a different story. I have no doubt that if they think a spark is needed, from where a damp match is seen, they will insert a dry Blue Tip.

…but it won’t come from a lost season frame of mind.

tractor57
    Participant

As I remember we had the same discussion last season at this time. To my eye the talent level is improved but still quite young overall. I’ll make my judgment at the end of the season.

Tau837
    Participant

I was asking for the collective opinion of the smart posters here. I was not advocating.

Sorry Tau, since this was not a question I had trouble knowing you were asking a question. Had you put a question mark after the above sentence it would have helped understand that you were asking a question. Switching the “it” and the “is” around making it a question rather than a statement might have also helped.

Sorry, Grey. Here you are actually quoting a single sentence out of context. Surprise.

I opened this exchange with this: “Serious question. If this season turns into a death spiral, will Doeren start playing McClendon to get him reps for the future?”

Clearly a question. Stated as a question, and with a question mark and everything.

After you ripped my post, I stated this: “If there comes a point where the team cannot achieve its objectives for the season, and if the staff expects McClendon to be the QB next season, then it could benefit both McClendon and the program long term… If the season is lost, then it is more reasonable to shift to the long view. I’m not saying it should be done, I was just asking the question.”

Notice that I used 3 ‘ifs’ and a ‘could’ in that post. And then clarified that I was asking for opinions.

I get that reading comprehension is not always a strong suit of message board posters, but you seem to be pretty far off base here.

Tau837
    Participant

Tau. I’m one of the dumb posters, but hear me out.

The season is never lost, or even considered lost after a weird 1st loss(and I do mean it,) and an ass handling on the road.

So…ya don’t even think that sh#t.

Now…changeup,is a different story. I have no doubt that if they think a spark is needed, from where a damp match is seen, they will insert a dry Blue Tip.

…but it won’t come from a lost season frame of mind.

I don’t think you are a dumb poster. Or Grey, either. I have read calls for McClendon on other sites and was simply trying to gauge the feel of the posters on this site.

Greywolf
    Participant

I have read calls for McClendon on other sites and was simply trying to gauge the feel of the posters on this site.

I think “comments on other sites” is the source of my misinterpreting your question as a statement. IMO we both are victims of haste: me in hastily reading your post and you in not formulating your question as a question.

There are too many posters on other boards, maybe here as well, who use a “question” or questions to disguise a thinly veiled put down or attack on the coaches and team. When I read your penultimate sentence, I thought that’s what you were doing.

I should have known better as you are not in my memory as that kind of guy. I apologize and promise to be more careful the next time I read one of your posts. Hell, I could even ask if I had any doubt. What a concept.

Rick
    Keymaster

Sorry, Grey. Here you are actually quoting a single sentence out of context. Surprise.

I opened this exchange with this: “Serious question. If this season turns into a death spiral, will Doeren start playing McClendon to get him reps for the future?”

Clearly a question. Stated as a question, and with a question mark and everything.

After you ripped my post, I stated this: “If there comes a point where the team cannot achieve its objectives for the season, and if the staff expects McClendon to be the QB next season, then it could benefit both McClendon and the program long term… If the season is lost, then it is more reasonable to shift to the long view. I’m not saying it should be done, I was just asking the question.”

Notice that I used 3 ‘ifs’ and a ‘could’ in that post. And then clarified that I was asking for opinions.

I get that reading comprehension is not always a strong suit of message board posters, but you seem to be pretty far off base here.

It appears a certain group of posters have built up a “side” and any post other than “everything is awesome” is met with disdain and derision.
    Example: Someone points out the schedule did not do us any favors. The response is to tell them to stop whining.

This is why I hardly ever post here anymore which I am sure some of you will celebrate.

Viewing 12 posts - 326 through 337 (of 337 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.