Basketball Weekly Roundup

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball Weekly Roundup

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Paki, that’s exactly what I meant with “The Butterfly Effect.”

How our resident savants don’t grasp that is beyond me.

Another thing. Criticizing players is completely fair game. John Wooden couldn’t coach hands and concentrated finish at the rim; two things that State has failed enumerable times, in enumerable games, leaving enumerable points on the table.

There is so much stuff that has been, or better yet, not been displayed that are completely uncoachable, rather instinctual.

To each spin there is an equal and opposite spin.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The difference between no chance and some chance, because the roster goes from doomed to merely “fragile” in its construction.

Fragile…I like this description. Under the best of circumstances, this team was always going to lose some games that it shouldn’t or let victory slip from its grasp several times…turned ankle, flu, foul trouble….something was always going to happen. That’s why I was never optimistic about this season. There were simply too many ways for it to jump the rails.

Think of it as a Monte Carlo simulation.

BJD knocking it out of the park today.

Rick
    Keymaster

Criticizing players is completely fair game.

But any time someone dates criticize the coach your feathers get ruffled

TheCOWDOG

This is inherently untrue.
    There are several posters in here that pose INTELLIGENT critiques of the coaching staff.

TheCOWDOG

Well, that didn’t format quite right, but you know what I mean.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I’ll clean it up my bruthah.

pakfanistan
    Participant

While you’re fixing stuff, put a ‘say’ in the appropriate place in my previous post. <3 xoxo

Wufpacker
    Participant

While you’re fixing stuff, put a ‘say’ in the appropriate place in my previous post. <3 xoxo

You smooth talker. I’ll get right on it. (that’s what she said)

Rick
    Keymaster

This is inherently untrue.
    There are several posters in here that pose INTELLIGENT critiques of the coaching staff.

Lol
    Gotcha cowboy

pakfanistan
    Participant

Ogod thank you. That was driving me bonkers.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Ogod thank you. That was driving me bonkers.

Short drive? 😉

pakfanistan
    Participant

Short drive? ?

Well within walking distance.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Question: Does anyone hold any animosity or “unsettling” feelings over the Lacey defection? Yeah, can’t blame him for taking the money even though he knew it wouldn’t be NBA money. Does he stay another year and hope for NBA money, or did he realize what his potential was, financially? That Europe was the limit? If he did realize it, why would he not risk injury for one more year of D-1 ACC basketball to see what he might have become? Did he sell himself short? Geico might make a “settler” commercial about him, as unsettling as it might be.

Rick
    Keymaster

Question: Does anyone hold any animosity or “unsettling” feelings over the Lacey defection? Yeah, can’t blame him for taking the money even though he knew it wouldn’t be NBA money. Does he stay another year and hope for NBA money, or did he realize what his potential was, financially? That Europe was the limit? If he did realize it, why would he not risk injury for one more year of D-1 ACC basketball to see what he might have become? Did he sell himself short? Geico might make a “settler” commercial about him, as unsettling as it might be.

I certainly hold no animosity to the kid but IMO it made no sense for him to transfer to play one year.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I certainly hold no animosity to the kid but IMO it made no sense for him to transfer to play one year.

Just another bizarre case in the history of NCSU sports. I would love to know just exactly what “advise” he received.

choppack1
    Participant

Regarding a transfer leaving early – this should never come as a surprise… Kind of like when that divorce’ walks out of another marriage.

Like gott and tob, transfers have a track record. It may work out just great, but don’t be surprised when it doesn’t.

44rules
    Participant

No problems with Lacey at all. He wasn’t going to become a surefire NBA first rounder by staying. He needed the money. Hell, I’d move to Europe for probably 1/4 of what he’s getting paid. Glad to see a ex-Wolfpacker doing well and making steps toward his dream of being a coach.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Heelh8r
    Participant

I see if differently and will admit to some “unsettling feelings”. If you want to play the blame game for this season, I say the first finger should be pointed directly at Lacey. I think he let himself down, and a whole lot of other people. He had the potential to do something great, but he choose to take the immediate gratification of taking what he could get for himself. He certainly let Gott down, who I have no doubt treated him like a son. He let his teammates down, and he let his school and all of its fans down. Sure, we all have to look out for ourselves, but he was getting good advice and he didn’t take it.

I think we know exactly what “advise” he got. Don’t do it. You have no chance to be drafted. You do have the chance lead a team that has the potential to compete for a championship. You have a chance to dramatically increase your stock. You have a chance to work on your education and prepare yourself for life after basketball. He choose to ignore it all and do what he wanted to do. Of course, we all make our decisions and live with the consequences, but I think he made a really bad one. Hopefully, it is working out well for him, but he gave up the chance to do something really great for himself, his coach, his teammates, and his school.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I see if differently and will admit to some “unsettling feelings”. If you want to play the blame game for this season, I say the first finger should be pointed directly at Lacey. I think he let himself down, and a whole lot of other people. He had the potential to do something great, but he choose to take the immediate gratification of taking what he could get for himself. He certainly let Gott down, who I have no doubt treated him like a son. He let his teammates down, and he let his school and all of its fans down. Sure, we all have to look out for ourselves, but he was getting good advice and he didn’t take it.

I think we know exactly what “advise” he got. Don’t do it. You have no chance to be drafted. You do have the chance lead a team that has the potential to compete for a championship. You have a chance to dramatically increase your stock. You have a chance to work on your education and prepare yourself for life after basketball. He choose to ignore it all and do what he wanted to do. Of course, we all make our decisions and live with the consequences, but I think he made a really bad one. Hopefully, it is working out well for him, but he gave up the chance to do something really great for himself, his coach, his teammates, and his school.

Again I am still unsure of what advise he may have gotten or was it just the guilt trip by the family as Hendu suggested one time on TOS.

I dont think we would have been contenders even if he came back. The same problems would still be here. Lack of defense, poor front court, no depth at the guard position. Plus I doubt we get Mav if he comes back.

tractor57
    Participant

Given a grant in aid is only for one year (renewable of course at the schools option) can we really fault an athlete for making a choice that we as fans don’t like?
    The loss of Lacey surely hurt but it changed some things – one being Rowan signing. Equal trade? In time we will see. Regardless it was his call and if he thought leaving was a better way I hope that decision serves him well.

Rick
    Keymaster

Given a grant in aid is only for one year (renewable of course at the schools option) can we really fault an athlete for making a choice that we as fans don’t like?
    The loss of Lacey surely hurt but it changed some things – one being Rowan signing. Equal trade? In time we will see. Regardless it was his call and if he thought leaving was a better way I hope that decision serves him well.

Nor does Cat become the player he is with Lacey here.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The Sweet Sixteen run was a truly special thing.

If he comes back, we probably don’t sign Ghost Face Killa, so who knows if that would have even been a good thing long term.

No hard feels whatsoever, the player should always act in his own best interests.

tractor57
    Participant

Rick we agree on the substance. Life is a series of decisions. After the fact we can trace the chain but in the midst it simply happens for better or worse. I have absolutely no hard feelings.

BJD there as well I see.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Nor does Cat become the player he is with Lacey here.

Why not? Having Lacey would have only made Cat better this year. Other teams would not be able to key on him nearly as much. Lacey was a point guard only when necessary. He would have been a nice back up for Cat when needed, but he would have primarily been more of a scorer and someone Cat could dish to. Then, assuming we also had Henderson at the time, we would have had a dynamic offense, with or without Rowan. Nobody can know had Lacey stayed if Rowan would have come or if Henderson would have gotten hurt, but have you forgotten where we were last year? On the edge of competing for an ACC and a national championship, and we would have only been better this year.

tractor57
    Participant

you know what assume means I hope. Maybe your scenario is right or maybe not. Either way it is what it is.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.