Anybody else taking a knee on the NFL?

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Anybody else taking a knee on the NFL?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I can look past one or two misguided knuckle heads out of the entire league disparaging the country as was done last year, but for entire teams, coaches, and the commish himself?

If they want to protest they should protest in the middle of the game. Just not even take the field during a drive or two. See if coaches and commish rally behind that as much as they rally behind spitting on America.

And Trump needs to lay off the childish tweets. This issue was finally starting to die off.

choppack1
    Participant

Thank you for that last note. Trump is the biggest goon in all of this. These players- like it or not – are much younger, have the peer pressure to participate…I emphasize with their position though I don’t like it nor do I necessarily think it’s good for the league or particularly courageous.

The bravest player in the NFL is unquestionably Alejandro Villanueva for the Steelers.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Agree that peer pressure at this point is playing a huge role. I’m still not sure what their “position” is. Remember, Kapernick started this thing wearing cops are pigs socks and not even giving enough respect to kneel. He just sat there with his confused head down. Seemed more anti-police than whatever it is they are protesting now.. is it Trump now they are protesting?

WolftownVA81
    Participant

The players will keep at it until they kill the golden goose. I’m so tired of entertainers mixing politics with there job and I bet I’m not alone no matter what political persuasion you may be. What do you think my employer would do if came to work and protested issue X, Y, Z on the job? Exactly what they should do and fire my AZZ. These sports stars, as well as Hollywood celebs, need to understand what their role is and where their bread is buttered. Remember the Dixie Chicks? Love their music, couldn’t pay me to go to a concert of theirs even after all these years.

PS, agree that our President should act more presidential and less grade schoolish.

AsheWolf
    Participant
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

My research is now showing police brutality as what’s originally being protested. I’ve got a solution to 99.9999999999999% of police “brutality”.

Now, a lot of people don’t know this, but I’ll go ahead let you guys in on it since we’re all pretty good pals.

If we can get people to do these two things, we can get everyone back up on their feet during the national anthem!
    #1) Don’t commit crime
    #2) Obey police officer’s command

Have a nice night, folks.

rthomas44
    Participant

I hate to be the one to upset the party but the Supreme Court decided at least 20 years ago that even burning the American Flag was protected free speech. Peaceful protest are every American’s right. Trump is a jerk.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I hate to be the one to upset the party but the Supreme Court decided at least 20 years ago that even burning the American Flag was protected free speech.

Ummm, sorry to be the one to bring you back down to earth but you are not “upsetting” anything. Nobody here has said it was illegal to be a jack a$$ and disrespect the flag.

I’ll be exercising my rights to not watch these idiots disparage the country.

rthomas44
    Participant

A protest is not”disrespecting the flag” anymore than not supporting a war is not supporting the troops. Stop watching Fox news and read a good newspaper and think

Texpack
    Participant

The one thing I wish both sides would understand in all of this is that free speech is not free from consequences.

rthomas44
    Participant

Without free speech, the consequences are tyranny

Pack78
    Participant

I did not get to bring (or even consider bringing) my politics or personal views into corporate business settings…not appropriate in any way, shape, or form. The NFL game is these snowflakes JOB and they will do it without me watching or attending.

choppack1
    Participant

Without free speech, the consequences are tyranny

Umm. Yep. X10 on College campuses. And yes, this does include klansmen, commies and nazis (of whom there ain’t much different.)

Read that Villanueva apologized to his teammates and coach. Tomlinson (to his credit) had tried to not play the game. Me, I am not playing it either. I will watch NFL, but probably less – I am much more disappointed in our president and media (all mainstream not just one side of it) who seek to divide us and make us dislike one another.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

A protest is not”disrespecting the flag” anymore than not supporting a war is not supporting the troops.

This very well might be the most preposterous thing I’ve ever read on SFN.

We MUST be on different pages.. let me just let you clarify.. which protest are you speaking of?

Surely you aren’t speaking about the protest where the football players do not stand to show their respect for the flag and national anthem? Because THAT protest… well… that’s their entire point of the protest. Not sure how to drive this home to you. Disrespecting the flag IS the fVcking protest!

This is why we can have an intelligent discussion.. absolute truth just gets entirely perverted, warped, and ultimately disregarded.

choppack1
    Participant

Texpack – that’s true. You have every right to say it…but understand that you are offending a significant % of your customers. Robert Johnson (former hornets owner and bet founder) had some good thoughts on this this morning on CNBC.

McCallum
    Participant

Who cares?

Haven’t watched the NFL and NBA for years and I have largely stopped watching major revenue college sports.

There is no common ground to be found.

BTW: don’t follow the Mizzou example. They are sucking wind.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Troll, you can only be so dense. The flag is a contrived symbol. The protest is about Injustice in this nation. Not standing for the anthem is communicating a protest about Injustice. The flag is just the tool. Think.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Surely you aren’t speaking about the protest where the football players do not stand to show their respect for the flag and national anthem? Because THAT protest… well… that’s their entire point of the protest. Not sure how to drive this home to you. Disrespecting the flag IS the fVcking protest!

This is why we can have an intelligent discussion.. absolute truth just gets entirely perverted, warped, and ultimately disregarded.

I heard a conversation like what you are having and the reply was the fact that you don’t get it that you don’t understand makes you part of the problem. The reason you dont get it is because you are part of the institutional racism that is being protested. I don’t know if every person on the protest side would put it that way but that is one explanation I have heard of why it is not disrespecting the flag or nation or anything.

I don’t agree with that explanation.

rcd1003
    Participant

As a life long NC State fan (my father graduated in 1960 and I attended for three years before I mistakenly thought that I was smarter than my father was and dropped out) I do pay attention to this site and check it quite often. I have only commented twice during all these years but this subject really has my blood boiling. This really should have nothing to do with politics, it’s about respect for the country that we all live in, and most of us have a pretty decent life living here. Obviously we have internet, or there would be no posts, most of us have cell phones, and all of us have the right to our own opinion, no matter how much or how little that opinion may fare with the majority. You don’t have to respect the man, but you should respect the position. You may not respect the position, but you should always respect your country, especially when it’s the greatest country in the world. My closing comment is – I wonder what Pat Tillman would think of all this……

gso packbacker
    Participant

I think we might be oversimplifying things if we assume every NFL player, owner, equipment manager, etc, was protesting (or not) the same exact thing by their action.

If they come out with a statement of such and they all sign it, maybe I will by that. Otherwise, that is a lot of folks to assume are all on the same exact page.

That aside, the NFL has been heading into the crapper long before Kaepernick decided to take a knee. Hell, even Troy Aikman noticed and said as much years ago.

Let’s all just be thankful that we don’t have to listen to Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith debate this topic in perpetuity (aka ESPN or whatever venue they choose to bilk currently).

gso packbacker
    Participant

Btw, if anyone thinks that this qualifies as a nation coming unglued and the $h!t hitting the fan, I suggest you watch Ken Burns show on the Vietnam War. Specifically, look at some of those protests and gain an insight as to some of the vitriol spewed between family and friends alone, much less the physical violence.

Picked up a great term tonight too. The “thin veneer of civilization” (i.e., how quickly we can act so uncivilized). Feels like it applies to us more and more these days.

McCallum
    Participant

Troll, you can only be so dense. The flag is a contrived symbol. The protest is about Injustice in this nation. Not standing for the anthem is communicating a protest about Injustice. The flag is just the tool. Think.

I just keep thinking about the crime rates.

And I think about all the upheaval in the education systems from state to state that have even a smidgen of “diversity”.

I think of out of wedlock birth rates at 73%.

I think of infant like mental capacity whereby one word reduces the “oppressed” to fear and tears through one word while songs of “mutha,uc&er” this and that are applauded.

I think of my cousin shot dead after hours in his office in Greensboro by an oppressed “youf”.

I think of a farmer down here whose wife was raped, eye cut out and left for dead on the side of the road when I hear about this crusade for justice in the NFL.

I think I’ll have “the talk” with my kids. I think they are of the age or getting close. I think I don’t want them to become a victim or a statistic. I think I love them so much that I will arm them for interacting in this world. I think they should know what is the real world out in the land of milk and honey. I think they should know there are two sides to every story, maybe even 3, 4 or more.

That is a good bit to think about.

I think about the Detroit riots of 67 starting after the clergy in certain sections of town REQUESTED police to shut down all the after hours liquor joints.

I think I like free speech.

And lastly….I think I’ll have more coffee.

Thanks rthomas for all this THOUGHT you provoked.

McCallum

gso packbacker
    Participant

I think they should know there are two sides to every story, maybe even 3, 4 or more.

Ding! Key to raising intelligent, contributing members of society. Easier said than done, and some days I consider myself a somewhat enlightened Cat.

tractor57
    Participant

“Freedom of speech”. I always thought that was related to the government restricting speech. Regardless if the NFL accepts the protests fine and good. They might suffer to consequences of that stand. Me personally I would not participate but they can. My thing is the product on the field becomes more silly every week. If I decide to no longer watch it is mostly because of the product on the filed. That puts the NFL and NASCAR in the same boat. Opposite sides of this issue but the product mostly sucks.

rthomas44
    Participant

Your welcome, mc.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.