ACC Operation Basketball: State Picked 9th

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Operation Basketball: State Picked 9th

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

Lewis filled a role on the team. As a retired (from BB) slow, white, undersized PG, I felt a certain kinship with Tyler but he was a defensive liability. I think when your starter is as wide open as Cat, it’s nice to have a back up who can play a tad more under control. I still think the most important things for this team to learn will be how to post up and how to make a solid entry pass. It’s all about the bigs.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I still think the most important things for this team to learn will be how to post up and how to make a solid entry pass.

And how to not telegraph the crap out of a pass, and how to step to the ball, and how to pass and catch with two hands, and how to bend our knees, and….

Rick
    Keymaster

With all due respect, I think you’re missing Rick’s meaning. All that will be required is Cat to falter, even for a short time, and fans with bad patience and equally bad memories will start bemoaning how “Tyler woulda never….”

It might not happen on a large scale, but I’d wager that it will happen.

Well, if that was his point, I agree I missed it. But I would still disagree with it. Did fans say “Harrow woulda never…”? I don’t remember that. Have fans said “Purvis woulda never…”? Maybe it’s too early to call that one.

Anyway, I wouldn’t put much stock in such opinions about Lewis (or Harrow or Purvis).

That is certainly one of the points I made and I guarantee you someone will bemoan his loss. He started over Cat for parts of the season so apparently the coaches did not agree with your assessment.

Either way you need a good backup when something goes wrong with your PG. I do not see a really good option at this point.

Rick
    Keymaster

I still think the most important things for this team to learn will be how to post up and how to make a solid entry pass.

And how to not telegraph the crap out of a pass, and how to step to the ball, and how to pass and catch with two hands, and how to bend our knees, and….

I can agree that, as a general rule, the team is missing many of the fundamentals of the game.
    boxing out, moving your feet on defense, going over a screen etc

Tau837
    Participant

Either way you need a good backup when something goes wrong with your PG. I do not see a really good option at this point.

Barring a major injury to Cat that causes him to miss several games, if not having Lewis to back him up is our biggest problem, we’re in great shape. I would rank many concerns as higher priority than having a backup PG the caliber of Lewis, including (in no particular order):

Quality starters at all 5 positions
    Overall team defense
    The running game
    At least one quality backup wing player
    At least one quality backup big man, particularly since I don’t think we can count on 25+ minutes from Anya every game

Lewis would only possibly address one of those (the running game).

YMMV

Rick
    Keymaster

I am not really sure how my conversation ended up being about Lewis. I honestly do not care whether he is here or not so please do not take my posts as some support for him. I support the players that are here.

My list of things that concern me, in order
    1) defense. I have yet to see it so until I do I will always list this first.
    2) Reliance on one primary ball handler. We have zero options for foul trouble injuries or simple bad play
    3) End of game points. You need a player who can create his own shot to score in end game situations. I assume it will be Cat but I have not seen that from him yet.
    4) Rebounding. We have size but have never made this a priority so I am in “show me” mode

pakfanistan
    Participant

2) Reliance on one primary ball handler. We have zero options for foul trouble injuries or simple bad play
    3) End of game points. You need a player who can create his own shot to score in end game situations. I assume it will be Cat but I have not seen that from him yet.
    4) Rebounding. We have size but have never made this a priority so I am in “show me” mode

1) Abu, the Martin twins, Slim Anya, and Cat are all (supposedly) high motor defenders.
    2) Lee and Lacey should be able to at least spell Cat from time to time. I’ve heard Dez is backing up the point in practice.
    3) Lacey, Ralston has also (supposedly) improved in this area.
    4) Anya, Freeman, Abu. Freeman has definitely shows a proclivity for rebounding.

In closing, with the incoming freshmen we have coming in here and what we have coming back, I don’t see us losing any more than four games this year………

Rick
    Keymaster

1) Abu, the Martin twins, Slim Anya, and Cat are all (supposedly) high motor defenders.
    2) Lee and Lacey should be able to at least spell Cat from time to time. I’ve heard Dez is backing up the point in practice.
    3) Lacey, Ralston has also (supposedly) improved in this area.
    4) Anya, Freeman, Abu. Freeman has definitely shows a proclivity for rebounding.

In closing, with the incoming freshmen we have coming in here and what we have coming back, I don’t see us losing any more than four games this year………

#freegavin

Calling Anya high motor is premature at this point.
    Defense takes a lot of work and three of the five you referenced are freshman (and I do not beleive we will see much PT out of the twins this year). We shall see if this year is different from a defensive perspective. I would expect to get half way into the ACC season before this is answered.
    If Ralston is our end of game scorer we will be in deep doo doo. He has shown no ability to make his own shot, not to mention his heel clicking three pointer is streaky at best.

I am enjoying the friendly back and forth.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I don’t see us losing any more than four games this year………

… wow Paky!
    can we get some of whatever it is ricky’s GOTT ?

… these guys will have four WTF games! but will still win twenty…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Woah now
    Someone needs to up the perscription on their reading glasses.
    I did not say that pakfanistan did but I THINK he was making a joke in regards to Gavin Grant

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. don’t matter who said it… Can I get some ??

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.