ACC Operation Basketball: State Picked 9th

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Operation Basketball: State Picked 9th

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Here’s the picture I paint for this team. They will start as “B” defensively, “B-” offensively. They will learn and progress, and by March, they will be “B+” defensively and “A-” offensively. Dangerous. And fun to watch.

^This! and maybe a ‘+’ more on both ends of the floor…

Plus… We should see five guys with around 30 minutes plus another 4 with 10+ minutes every game…

So … our “improved – more aggressive – fewer fundamental mistakes ” TEAM Defense will find themselves in Foul Trouble less often not more often… which should be the difference between a couple more W’s instead of L’s in the 10 or so “close games” we’ll play…

Which… pokes the Bears in waiting… with the “other” !important question…

WHAT ABOUT Free Throw Shooting…. especially during the last four minutes of the game ??

Because this TEAM is going to be taking about 20 every game…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redisgood
    Participant

Chop, regarding Tyler’s assist to turnover ratio, you are right. Lewis and Barber had the same number of assists, but Cat averaged two TOs per game, while Tyler had one. On the other hand, Cat had 50% more rebounds, twice as many points and three times more steals. He also pushed tempo while Tyler dribbled around the perimeter for 30 seconds. I will gladly sacrifice one turnover a game for better defense, more points, and an uptempo offense.

Rick
    Keymaster

I remember when Brandon Costner was the reason Lowe sucked. Now the reason we sucked at defense is vandy and wbs. How many times are you people going to play this game?

Bill,
    I know you are NOT calling other people’s post indecipherable.

pakfanistan
    Participant

WBS getting abused is just a fact.

Gowolves
    Participant

Rick, Nobody is saying they were good on defense the last few years under Gott. I will even admit that his teams in the past more often than not lacked good defense. What I am saying is this team just seems to have the desire to play defense based on a few games at towards the end last year. Also seems like from the interviews the players have given so far this year is that they want to commit to playing good D. I know proof is in the pudding. I guess I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You cannot understate the lack of defensive skills V-burg and Lewis. One bad defensive player on the floor can completely destroy what they are trying to achieve.

Rick
    Keymaster

So wbs and vandy were the problems last year, the year before that our was selfish players? What about before that or before that. You can always find an excuse if you try hard enough. Gott has a twenty year track record of good offense and awful defense but this, this is the year. Riiiiiiiight.
    I will believe it when I see it.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am already waiting on the first, if wbs was here we would have won that game. It I’d coming. Bank on it

Gowolves
    Participant

Rick, You can believe what you want. At the end of the year you may be right. I played basketball in HS and middle school. I am sure you have played the game a lot. You know the game as much as anyone. All I am saying that one player can ruin what you are trying to do on defense. If that person doesn’t commmit to playing the best D he can then you are always trying to cover their ass. Then the guy you were guarding goes for twenty points. The casual fan doesn’t realize that was because he had to help out on a kid that was always out of postion on D.

Rick
    Keymaster

If one person is ‘ruining the defense’ then that is on the coach.

The argument as I see it is Gott had never had a team athletic and team oriented enough to play defense but this one is.
    I find that a rather weak and baseless argument based solely on hope. My experience is a leopard rarely changes his spots.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It was bad team defense as a whole, not just a player or two. Think Duke in the tournament. Wide open all day long. Think St Loey. Couldn’t stop them when we needed to. We can certainly be better but putting it on a few players is crazy off.

Rick
    Keymaster

For those that think this is the year we change, l week ask one question.

If Gott has two players, one is good at d and one is good at o who will he play?

Gowolves
    Participant

Its based on watching them scrimmage this summer and what I have read. I am not going to paint myself in corner on that question. You can improve quicker on defense much faster than offense. I respect your opinion on the matter. I can say you might have a better point of view. I guess we will both see very soon. I enjoy good banter back and forth.
    Tip my hat to you.

Rick
    Keymaster

And the same to you.

I hope you are right and I end up owing a big apology at the end of the year.

redcanine
    Participant

Cat Barber was the last offensive juggernaut that Gott signed, and he’s arguably our best defender. Everyone else in his last two classes have been well rounded, roll player type guys. I don’t wanna hear about Gott’s recruiting falling off because he’s only after one and dones.

Other than Ralston, I don’t see who could be in the game solely for offense. Hell, RTO will even dive on the floor for a loose ball, and he’s a good shot blocker for a wing player.

If defense is what everyone wants, that’s what we’ll get, because we won’t be scoring in the 80s.

*IMO, the reason why we had selfish/lazy/disruptive players here in the past is because A) we recruited them B) they thought they could get away with it here. No more!

Rick
    Keymaster

*IMO, the reason why we had selfish/lazy/disruptive players here in the past is because A) we recruited them B) they thought they could get away with it here. No more!

Bingo

TMD11
    Participant

Barber is the catalyst and must play well for this team to succeed. Big and powerful inside, depth is good everywhere, Lacey is a really good player. if team chemistry and defense is good, this team should finish in the top 6. I like being rated lower at the beginning by the media etc… no pressure.

Rock PACK…!

Tau837
    Participant

Chop, regarding Tyler’s assist to turnover ratio, you are right. Lewis and Barber had the same number of assists, but Cat averaged two TOs per game, while Tyler had one. On the other hand, Cat had 50% more rebounds, twice as many points and three times more steals. He also pushed tempo while Tyler dribbled around the perimeter for 30 seconds. I will gladly sacrifice one turnover a game for better defense, more points, and an uptempo offense.

Lewis in 2013-14:
    Field goal %: 34.6%
    Rebound %: 3.7%
    Assist %: 32.9%
    Turnover %: 17.5%
    Steal %: 0.6%

Barber in 2013-14:
    Field goal %: 40.1%
    Rebound %: 4.8%
    Assist %: 27.5%
    Turnover %: 16.1%
    Steal %: 1.5%

Cat was better in every metric except assist percentage. That’s right, Cat had a lower turnover percentage than Lewis.

And we know Cat is a far superior defender.

Our team will not miss Lewis this season.

redisgood
    Participant

I’m certainly not saying because Tyler left the defense is suddenly going to become great. I will say unequivocally Cat is a better defender than Tyler. Jay Bilas called Cat the best on ball defender in the ACC. So sure, giving Tyler’s minutes to Cat will result in better defense.

But I think we will be better because of what I saw from the freshmen last year. All are super aggressive players – there is not a dog in the whole group. Lennard, Cat, Beejay, and Kyle all have a “no prisoners” mentality. Abu is known for his defense. How good these guys will be on defense is still to be determined, but I’m fairly confident we won’t be complaining about terrible defense this year.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is saying Lewis or Vandy or anybody else was the reason our defense wasn’t good.

I know that I, at least, am saying we’ve clearly upgraded nearly across the board in athleticism, and bball IQ, so I think there’s a possibility we’ll be better than we’ve averaged in the past.

Rick
    Keymaster

Our team will not miss Lewis this season

Except if Cat has a bad game or gets hurt or goes into a slump or just gets tired.
    I am not debating Cat is not better than TL. I just tire of everyone pointing at the people that are leaving and saying “yeah we are better now that they are gone”. I understand it is human nature to over value the unknown compared to the known but enough of the Lucy pulling the football routine.

redisgood
    Participant

Great discussion! I do know I cannot wait for the game on Saturday. Only an exhibition, but real basketball finally! For me the only question is, will the the football game be close so I can walk over to the RBC after it’s over, or are we getting blown out so I head back to my car at half time and stagger to the RBC?

Tau837
    Participant

Except if Cat has a bad game or gets hurt or goes into a slump or just gets tired.

Except all of these would require Lewis to play well (better than our current backup options) to be missed. That is no given.

And it would require Lewis to have a good attitude about his role when Cat was playing well. Again, no given.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Except all of these would require Lewis to play well (better than our current backup options) to be missed. That is no given.

And it would require Lewis to have a good attitude about his role when Cat was playing well. Again, no given.

With all due respect, I think you’re missing Rick’s meaning. All that will be required is Cat to falter, even for a short time, and fans with bad patience and equally bad memories will start bemoaning how “Tyler woulda never….”

It might not happen on a large scale, but I’d wager that it will happen.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… it may ALL depend on whether or not we see the return of ANTHONY on 3,4 or 5….
    (yes… some of us are still having nightmares about the last game in the Dean Dome…)

if so… It could be a long season.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Tau837
    Participant

With all due respect, I think you’re missing Rick’s meaning. All that will be required is Cat to falter, even for a short time, and fans with bad patience and equally bad memories will start bemoaning how “Tyler woulda never….”

It might not happen on a large scale, but I’d wager that it will happen.

Well, if that was his point, I agree I missed it. But I would still disagree with it. Did fans say “Harrow woulda never…”? I don’t remember that. Have fans said “Purvis woulda never…”? Maybe it’s too early to call that one.

Anyway, I wouldn’t put much stock in such opinions about Lewis (or Harrow or Purvis).

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.