2014-15 Post-WBS Roster Thoughts and Bold Predictions

Home Forums All StateFansNation 2014-15 Post-WBS Roster Thoughts and Bold Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    MP
    Participant

I would describe him much more (accurately IMHO) as a poor man’s Justin Gainey.

I think this is very reasonable. Tyler Lewis never quite earned the right to be compared with our greatest point guards of all time.

I mean… Engin Atsur had to run the point only because there was no true PG on that team – And who here would take Lewis over Atsur at the point? [And I loved Atsur, don’t get me wrong – Just saying that Lewis is a looooong way from being discussed alongside Corchiani.]

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Just think of who you went to school with while attending State…

^ROFLMAO…

Best quote of the week !!

Just one – big – happy – normally dysfunctional – family…

SFN === Band of Brothers + Dr. Wuffette & Khan …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PapaWolf
    Participant

I heard an interview with UVA’s Coach Bennett the other day. He said he came to UVA with the idea of building a high quality, consistently good, program. He brought in six guys his first year, Harris and Mitchell were two of them. The rest are gone. He’s recruited well each class, and they have improved each year. They won 16 the first year, then 22, then 23, and 30 this year. They gave MSU pretty much all they could handle in the NCAAT, even though they lost by two. He never brought in a “Jabari type”. I’m sure he would if he could, but he didn’t.
    What he ended up with this year, was the best TEAM in the league and one of the best in the country. They had a great blend of maturity and talent. Miami was similar last year, guys that it seemed had been there forever.

I think that is the model we’re going after. Talent across the classes. Senior leadership. It takes time. Remember we eliminated UVA from the ACCT last year and the year before. This year we couldn’t stay on the court with them.

I think we are on the right track. Now if Gott could only teach defense better.

tractor57
    Participant

And it is a talking point Gott can’t teach defense but I have seen improvement over the season. Not sure I buy that talking point.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Ah the memories. Sr year that would have been. Had good sideline seats that day because most everyone had already bolted for Xmas break IIRC.

Bonus…we didn’t have to hear Vitale.

Hated Manning, Kansas, and Larry Brown too because of his shady pilfering of Manning (to this day, when the media starts fellating Brown, as they so often do, my response is the same….F— Larry Brown).

Was pissed for days we didn’t take them down.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I watched that video without knowing the outcome, and I was heartbroken.

Mike
    Participant

Wufpacker, I also had great seats that day. We were one of the first in line but……….

It was over Christmas break and the idea was to be general admission for all, take your pick. We all filed in, found our seats and then we had to more b/c the big wig donors got mad. I dont remember why this was a GA game to be honest but all I remember is V and Dickie V lobbying to let us keep our seats. Of course, we had to move.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I think that is the model we’re going after. Talent across the classes. Senior leadership.

I don’t see it that way.

MG is getting the best athletes that he can. That generally means early exits to the pros or transfers over hurt feelings/playing time. There is no such thing as slowly building towards some goal. You have to build and re-build every year without knowing exactly what you are going to need most two years from now.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think that is the model we’re going after. Talent across the classes. Senior leadership.

I don’t see it that way.

MG is getting the best athletes that he can. That generally means early exits to the pros or transfers over hurt feelings/playing time. There is no such thing as slowly building towards some goal. You have to build and re-build every year without knowing exactly what you are going to need most two years from now.

Agreed
    And that is why it is hard to predict next years team

infinity_hearts
    Participant

If TJ isn’t returning, I can see us falling apart. No lead scorer, tall forward, and real experienced point guard. I don’t know though, next season will be a toss up.

Tau837
    Participant

Wufpacker, I also had great seats that day. We were one of the first in line but……….

It was over Christmas break and the idea was to be general admission for all, take your pick. We all filed in, found our seats and then we had to more b/c the big wig donors got mad. I dont remember why this was a GA game to be honest but all I remember is V and Dickie V lobbying to let us keep our seats. Of course, we had to move.

How I remember it is that when we arrived at the game, one side of the court that was normally student seating was roped off. The university had assumed that fewer students would attend the game since it occurred during a break. I was in the end zone seats initially.

Then Coach V walked out and a student walked over to him and pointed at the roped off student seats and said something to him. V looked up at the crowd of students in the end zone and then waved his arm over to point at the roped off seats, prompting a mad scramble into those seats. I ended up near midcourt just a couple rows back.

As we got closer to game time, all the people who had bought the roped off tickets started to show up, and we were in their seats. The university broke out folding chairs and put them everywhere they could, and we got to stay in the seats. I specifically remember Chucky Brown’s brother being unhappy about it when he had to sit in a folding chair in the aisle.

Great memory. And yet another reason to love Coach V.

tractor57
    Participant

In this era of the one and done every year potentially is a rebuilding year. Cal has managed to surf that wave quite well – even so I am very grateful he did not come to State.

redisgood
    Participant

I looked at minutes played by guys returning, and last year it was round 20%. This year it is around 80%. Losing TJ is obviously huge, but the experience we have coming back should have some value. Last year we had to replace 80% of our scoring, this year it will be 45%. A pretty big number, but not terrible. I’m guessing TJ’s 25 will be replace by Lacey’s 15, and the other guys can easily make up the difference. Cat playing 30 minutes a game should raise his average by 5 or 6, and we should get more scoring from the bench.

Next year’s team will be better defensively, and that will help as well.

Like most, I really don’t know what to expect next year. I’m thinking we will have a decent year. The freshmen all know the system now, and none of them were exactly chopped liver anyway. The thinking is college players usually make their biggest improvemet from freshman to sophomore (TJ did, Tyler didn’t), so overall I’m pretty excited about the upcoming year.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Yeah- we need to expand the group! 🙂

A sexist.
    A racist.
    A renounced yankee (you have renounced right? Bless your heart. 🙂 )
    A bum from the beach.
    A psycho who bikes into UAz to check out the coeds.
    An angry ref-hater.
    A mad scientist.
    An autistic (and responsible) rainman (Actually, I think we have at least two of them)
    The instigator.
    Foose. 🙂
    The nice fellow who gets irritable when traveling and has a dude with a bloody face for his icon.
    A short-tempered (mainly when we are losing a game) fellow who threatens me with a gun everyday.
    A really, really smart, handsome guy.

(there’s so much more but you know who you are……another day….gots to go)
    ……………

Y’all are all very sweet and awesome. Enjoy ya’ll very much and you feel like a distant, extended family!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VA Wolf, if you delete this post for the name calling….I once again completely understand and support your efforts.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m upset that you listed me last. But I’ll let it go because I appreciate your accuracy.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Dr. Wuffette…

and thanks for the delicate touch of a woman’s pen… and listing me twice…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redcanine
    Participant

Lennon was the ‘smart one’
    McCartney, the ‘cute one’
    Harrison, the ‘shy one’
    Ringo?

Rick
    Keymaster

Next year’s team will be better defensively, and that will help as well.

While that is speculation, a dead cat bounce probably proves you correct.

Rick
    Keymaster

I’m upset that you listed me last. But I’ll let it go because I appreciate your accuracy.

Wolfette has figured out more about the people on these boards than I would have ever guessed but I think she missed your delusionalness (is that a word) as it is clear she was refering to me in the last one 😉

Wufpacker
    Participant

“A psycho who bikes into UAz to check out the coeds.”

When you put it that way, it just sounds unseemly.

TheCOWDOG

” A renounced yankee…”

Ok,I admit it. Yes, I do have a Stars & Bars that comes out of storage on Jefferson Davis’s birthday.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Wufpacker- I agree and don’t think I came anywhere close to describing your true character. You are a treasure. One of the first to greet me (you and Bill were on that day I believe) and always make me feel welcome. If I could, I would change “psycho” to “gentle, sweet, godly, brilliant writer/all around super fellow.” If you have editing powers, please do. Plus, how do you know it wasn’t you I was referring to on the last line.

(I have looksies on campus too. Hello pot! It’s one of my major benefits of visiting Cameron from time to time too. You know that the Sports Med Dept is right across from the gym which has glass facing it. I know perfect spot for them but really, the guys who stream out of those doors….OK, now I feel dirty. The kids do keep looking younger and younger. I feel like I should be asking them for a parental permission note for the to be at State.)

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

CD, you are a good man. Confession, I was born on yankee soil from a yankee mom. However the state born in… more midwest kind of not northern but still above the m-d line but not where accents change but where it’s often gray but I think the state was just confused at that time and my parents was young and I was young and then there was change in early life. I was raised in the backwoods (OK not quite) of NC where country accents run a bit thicker. The honoring of JD and ending the ceremony with a round of moonshine and Bonnie Blue Flag does raise the bar.

Your posts are awesome. Even years before I started posting- yep, I stalked on all of ya’ll. You have taught me so much about football and really my only interest was your creative delivery. Thank god we have internet to do easy research. Your knowledge and “feel” of the game and State gives me insight. You make learning fun which is what I hope to do for others one day.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Redcanine- moving up to the “witty one” – enjoying your posts.
    Rick/VA Wolf/Bill- you’re all right but add lots more and Wufpacker comes first. 🙂

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

and Wufpacker comes first.

You really shouldn’t leave straight lines lying around. Someone could get hurt.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.