NC State will look to build upon the a very ‘crisp’ performance last week with a scheduled 6pm kickoff tonight at Carter-Finley Stadium. We say ‘scheduled’ because the current weather forecast calls for scattered thunderstorms for most of the late afternoon and early evening in Raleigh. We dodged a bullet last week when the thunderstorms rolled out before kickoff… Let’s hope we do the same this week as the annual #PackinBlack game at Carter-Finley has a tendency to get the young kids very excited; and the later the kick-off, the more non-alcohol-fueled temper tantrums will erupt in Carter-Finley. (Can you tell that the good folks at StateFansNation are getting old?)
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) September 12, 2015
The Wolfpack appeared to be in mid-season form last Saturday night, turning in a performance that included only one penalty and no turnovers. While some criticized the defense, at the end of the day things weren’t nearly as ugly as might have been originally presumed.
Did u know? That more than 50% (157 yards) of Troy's offense yards gained on Sat came on just 4 plays? pic.twitter.com/mnHkw2ob8J
— statefansnation (@statefansnation) September 11, 2015
Things we’re watching tonight:
(1) We’d like to see more pressure from the front seven, but Dave Huxtable Clearly held back is blitz packages last week. I recognize there is no reason to show the world the entire playbook… particularly since the Pack could get through the entire month without having to show too much ahead of the ACC season.
(2) Can the wide receiver corp continue to impress with the emergence of Jumichael Ramos?
(3) Is the impressive consistent execution of special teams something to relied upon each week?
(4) Can the offensive line improve on an acceptable first week As these guys get familiar at their positions and playing alongside of each other?
(5) And, of course, can State stretch the field on offense? and can Jacoby Brissett complement his good decision-making and efficiency with better downfield accuracy?