After various negative off-the-field ACC Football issues simultaneously hit the national media last week I asked if the ACC was becoming the SEC?
Upon further review, I rescind my question.
First, take a look at the weekend behavior of the Tennesssee football program after their failed season and the violent spree of an Alabama fan. Just today Ole Miss has admitted to placing themselves in the dregs of society by contacting Tulane players in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Add to this the probation that South Carolina got for recruiting issues (as opposed to Georgia Tech’s probation of accidently using academically ineligible players – when was the last time a player was academically ineligible in the SEC? Is that even possible?) and my faith in the comparison of the conferences is restored.
In some other football-related topics:
– Middle Tennessee State fired the football coach hired by Lee Fowler seven years ago after their football game in Raleigh this weekend. I just knew that this was of big interest to you since MTSU athletics was important enough to give us a “Q&A with Lee Fowler” last week on GoPack.com.
– Elsewhere, Matt Hayes expecst some staff changes at Michigan State in this piece that touches on a lot of interesting topics, including Al Groh, whom Tom Deinhart is glad that he is not.. You think NC State fans are disappointed in underperformance on the gridiron? Try looking north to Charlottesville where Al Groh has significantly out recruited Chuck Amato and has delivered even less results on a proportional basis.
There’s not a more confounding team than Virginia, which has been loading up on elite recruits for several years but continues to struggle in big games. The Cavaliers are 36-25 under coach Al Groh, including a 2-9 record against the ACC elite of Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech.
Groh recently signed a contract extension that will pay him $1.7 million a year through 2010. Now how does last week’s 52-14 home loss to the Hokies look?
– We’ve tried to break down the current bowl scenario for you here.
– If you have an interest in the neighborhoods of college football that NC State is not currently living, you can click here for some thoughts.
– This week’s Georgia vs Georgia Tech match-up provides me the opportunity to turn your attention to one of my favorite blogs – The Georgia Sports Blog, formerly known as Paulwesterdawg’s Blog. You really HAVE to go over there and laugh out loud at some of this stuff. I’m not as creative as this guy…but would LOVE to add this kind of humor and satire to this blog. If you think that you have this kind of wit and talent, then drop us a comment if you would consider joining our team and putting together a couple of funny entries a week.
– If you didn’t stay up to watch (or had enough foresight to Tivo) the Fresno State vs Southern Cal game on Saturday night, then you missed an absolute dandy. But, even more impressive than the game was Reggie Bush’s performance. It was truly amazing. As one college football fan commented, “It was totally playstation”.
– With some big rivalries this weekend like UGA-GT, Texas-A&M and UF-FSU, there is no reason to ignore rivalry talk.