Y7 granted his release

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Y7 granted his release

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

Besides he has already used up his chance for his one “free” pro feedback evaluation (another crock).

I think they changed that rule and they can get evaluated every year if they want now.

That’d be good news if true. One of the rarer examples of the NCAA trying to do right by a player.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yurt just signed with Georgetown.

Rick
    Keymaster

That makes no sense…

Fastback68
    Participant

That’s a face palm.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Going to go be coached by a successful big man, I guess.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

They didn’t even make the tournament this past season. I don’t think coaching is the issue. Yurt improved exponentially under Keatts. Now, he has to sit out a year which will hurt his draft stock. He’ll be a year older when he gets to showcase his new big man skills with a new team. Also, what traditional big man had the greenlight to shoot it the way he did?

tractor57
    Participant

I’m afraid this will not turn out well for Y7. His choice and I support that but he is already pushing the age limit for new NBA players.

MrPlywood
    Participant

“I needed a big-man coach and don’t think anybody is better than Patrick Ewing when it comes to the experience he has as a player,” Yurtseven said.

His third coach in three years.

😐

Also, what traditional big man had the greenlight to shoot it the way he did?

Good point. Ewing is old-school. Yurt needs a Euro, someone like Nowitzki.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Makes zero sense.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Hope for Yurt’s sake Ewing can manage to win more than 5 games in the Big East.

PackofMac
    Participant

I’m afraid this will not turn out well for Y7. His choice and I support that but he is already pushing the age limit for new NBA players.

I’m afraid I don’t give a shat. Clears up a scholarship for another Keatts kid and he wanted out, see ya. G league or overseas will likely be his limit in 3 years when he’s through with his college adventure. Keep it real Yurt

freshmanin83
    Participant

There were some games we won this year only because of his good play imo, I hope he does well.

BassPacker
    Participant

IMO, this is a bizarre move for Yurt7. Having set out 7 or more games his first yr at State, he was already behind in experience and playing time. He made major improvements last season under Keats. And as someone said, had the green light to shoot the 3 ball. He won’t have that at G’town and not the team mates that will allow him open shots. I just don’t get it, why make a move meaning more time off the floor with transfer rule? Maybe he plans to work out with Ewing during that span, I don’t know. Seems like our on legendary big man Tommy B would been just as good mentor or better since would still been eligible to play next season then perhaps declare for NBA. Just a bad career move on paper. Hope it works out as really like Yurt7 in the red and white. Course, college basketball has become more a “ME” game than Team game. SMH.

tractor57
    Participant

BP I’m also befuddled by this move. Not sure what Yert gains by sitting out a year. In addition the NBA game has changed greatly since Ewing played. Yes he is one of the greats but I am not so sure he can teach the 3 PT shot which is now the be all end all. I saw Y7 progress greatly last year – still not a first round pick but progressing nicely. Unless there is money involved I see no benefit in that transfer. It is possible KK used the “waver wire” but that also seems unlikely

ryebread
    Participant

Packi and I had a quick chat about this yesterday. Go back and re-read the release. It was clear that Yurt wouldn’t be back, which is why we are after graduate transfer big men. There may be more here than meets the eye.

On the surface, and with a positive spin, it makes sense for Yurt to go and play for one of the best big men to have played the game. If that is the reason, then it is probably a smart business move. He needs to bulk up and the year off gives him that. If it gives him a year of skills development day in and day out, then that might actually help him more than getting on the court and showing his weaknesses in games (and thus limiting his draft stock).

I wish him the best and hope he does well. Without him we would not have made the tournament this year.

As for our program, we have an open assistant’s spot. I hope we use it on a big man coach, even if we do plan on playing 4 around 1 or 3 guards and two bouncy, smaller PFs. It is fine to favor guards, and I think college basketball is a guard’s game. We probably need somebody who can help the big men we have maximize their potential and Yurt leaving and talking about development probably doesn’t send the best message.

Rick
    Keymaster

This still does not make sense.
    It is not a particularly good look for us.
    You just don’t see all acc players transfer.

tractor57
    Participant

I wish Y7 well but I’m with Rick here – vexing for sure.

Fastback68
    Participant

Gain 70 pounds of muscle, box out, stop aggressively going over the opponent’s back when you already have an early foul, play defense without leaving your feet, work on ft shooting, stop shooting fade away jumpers as a 7 footer and go aggressively to the rim and don’t be a complete dumb—- by committing FOUR straight goaltends at the start of a NC game. All the things Keatts has already discussed with him but will be believed like the gospel when Ewing repeats them.

44rules
    Participant

Gain 70 pounds of muscle, box out, stop aggressively going over the opponent’s back when you already have an early foul, play defense without leaving your feet, work on ft shooting, stop shooting fade away jumpers as a 7 footer and go aggressively to the rim and don’t be a complete dumb—- by committing FOUR straight goaltends at the start of a NC game. All the things Keatts has already discussed with him but will be believed like the gospel when Ewing repeats them.

Hah! Do as Ewing says, not as Ewing does.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

pack44fan
    Participant

This is definitely a head scratcher. As great as Ewing was in his day, he would be a dinosaur in today’s game, especially the way offenses have evolved with the 3 point shot, emphasis on spacing, and opening up the middle of the floor, much like Keatt’s system. I think Ewing could help him defensively, not so sure
    offensively. Markell may be gone especially if he is a marginal student, just
    a feeling.

ryebread
    Participant

There are some those more connected to the program on another site who lay out the “business” side of this decision. Their suggestion is to think about this less as a thought process about our current program, coaches, the school, etc. and more about the context of the individual in question, some of the larger questions related to that individual and the location of some of those larger questions.

The way that original release was worded reminded me of the song “Closing Time………..” That’s not coming from the “insiders,” but is my reading of the situation. We thank Yurt for his time, he is moving on.

I think Yurt is a skilled player who will end up in the pros. You don’t teach 7 feet, soft hands and a jump shot. If Ewing helps him develop some toughness, defensive positioning, the expectations for playing in the NBA, then it is a good decision for him.

NC State has a lot of bouncy, fast, shooting, PF types coming in. I tend to think that is what we are looking for out of the post. It is unclear to me if we are going to play 4 around 1 or 3 guards and 2 bouncy PFs. Recruiting suggests the latter.

Tau837
    Participant

Seems like our on legendary big man Tommy B would been just as good mentor or better

LOL at this. Ewing played 17 seasons in the NBA and is one of the best big men in NBA history. Then he spent 14 years coaching in the NBA, much of that specifically coaching big men. There may not be a better coach in college basketball for a big mean like Y7 than Ewing.

I like rye’s take above. This is about maximizing his chance to make the NBA, and Ewing is better for him in that regard than Keatts. He already has the ability to shoot. He needs to get better at defense, rebounding, inside footwork, and finishing around the basket. All stuff that Ewing will be able to help with, especially given two years.

I appreciate Y7’s time at State and wish him well. I think Keatts has the type of big men he really wants in the incoming recruiting class.

choppack1
    Participant

Gotta agree with Rye and Tau here. Yurt came up big for us this year and I hate to see him go. A lot of our “fans” should be delighted since they seemed to do nothing but complain about him. Regardless, you don’t have to look at what we are chasing to realize, we will miss his offense next year.

I thought he made huge strides last year and would have expected the same this year. However, I understand the business end of this decision. He is taking a long view trying to maximize his eligibility and free education.

Like others, I think part of the issue was that Yurt wanted specific instruction for his overall skillset, and he likely thought that this staff wanted a specific skillset and their offensive and perhaps more importantly, defensive skillset didn’t fit in well with that template.

ryebread
    Participant

Chop: I think on the surface that is the answer and it is an acceptable one. I personally think there is more to this story than that. Go back and re-read the release. Yurt wasn’t going to be back…..

Yurt is saying the right things. It is about Ewing and the media is running with it. Fine by me. I wish him the best and hope he lands in the NBA some day. He has height, soft hands and a great jump shot. That’s a base to build from.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.