#whyiloatheamericansoccer

Home Forums All StateFansNation #whyiloatheamericansoccer

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Hanging ‘bacca in a stick barn wasn’t too bad, if you were in the TOP of the barn and could reach all the squirrel poles and you weren’t afraid of black snakes…

I’ve seen little barns, one man could hang by himself, huge 3 man barns with 8 main poles and everything in between…

By the time I was a Senior in High School I was 6’4″ and the barn was the easy part…
    The next summer, I moved over to Uncle Robert’s farm with my cousins and stayed there every summer until until I finished school down in Tallytown…

Uncle Robert had almost finished his accounting degree when his Pop died and he came home to take care of his Mom, his sister and the farm and he was the ‘organized’ farmer I ever met by far… His main job when I was there, other than to think up stuff for us boys to do, was driving slides…

Anyway… one morning after we had pulled 2 or 3 slides, when Uncle Robert came to pick up, he told me to come on and go with him to the barn…

He had this great idea that I could get on the second pole and hang his little barns as it was strung up all by myself… and we’d all get to eat lunch an hour earlier and he’d save $50 a day…

I did that for ’bout a week and then me and Uncle Robert had to talk a bit…

I missed the guys in the field and the sunshine too much…

He smiled and we made a deal… I’d only hang by myself in the two smallest barns and the rest we’d hang with 2 men – the same way it had been done since that Slade fellow across Hyco Creek in Caswell County “invented” flue cured ‘bacca before the War…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    freshmanin83
    Participant

I have hung all sizes of stick barns and the only one there was two of us was the first one where I was leaning. You just had to monkey it as my boss told me.

As an aside if you ever go tubing in a mountain stream a bacca stick is just the thing to fend off rocks and what not.

Greywolf
    Participant

I grew up playing backyard football, baseball and dirt-court basketball. I was introduced to soccer at PE in HS. After 3 or 4 minutes of soccer I was panting for air and my tongue was hanging out. That was when I discovered football was the game for me — 5 seconds of exertion and a half a minute of rest. The all American sport. 😉

For the average football player the best skill was in our genes — being big and strong and able to push other people around. Basketball was the tall guys sport. Baseball and watching grass grow were about equal in cardio respiratory value. Oh sure, you might have to run hard for 90 feet. I forgot swinging a 32 ounce bat 30 to 50 times over a period of 3 or so hours. I can hear the wheezing now.

Soccer has them all beat for exercise value. And contrary to what some would have you believe a big field in not required for 5 year old-kids to enjoy skill development — unless you have no imagination. Put a few cones or tee-shirts on the ground and make up games for the kids to play. You do the games and I can just about guarantee the kids will be begging to play with you.

But there’s the rub. Lard-arsed adults can’t play a game that entails a little running. The best exercise we get is typing about food on a sports message board. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.