When Hell Freezes Over….

Home Forums All StateFansNation When Hell Freezes Over….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

So did the hole freeze over?

’57…. well… it GOTT cold enough to cancel a basketball game….
    but folks in Wilkes County and surrounds are just laughing at the thermometer….

speaking of that section…. exactly where did the ash spill start??
    I’ve been looking for a map but can’t find that….

—————

re: “global warming”….

All I am sure of is this….

1. temperatures are cyclical within any time period — long or short —
    2. the longer time period — the more difficult it is to determine the trend because of the ‘interference’ in the data from shorter term cycles.
    3. not all time period temperature cycles move in the same direction

4. who knows where we stand with current temperatures vis a vis the long term trend
    5. regardless of all that… it does appear that weather, including temperatures, has been more volitle with higher highs and lower lows in more places in recent years…

More importantly…. some people find all this to be an excellent occasion to try to move some big money around.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

Bill, I’ve not seen any maps but the plant was located right near the VA NC state line on the Dan river.

Smarter than the average bear

pakfanistan
    Participant

Sorry pak, wrong again, your power comes from the grid. The grid gets its power from every collective power source in the US of which only 19 percent is nuclear. Almost 70 percent is fossil fuels with coal being the highest at almost 45 percent. Just because you live near a nuclear power plant does not mean your get your power from it. It’s the way the power grid works.

While it’s true that it’s a grid, I’m more than likely drawing most of my power from the nearest station.

And since it’s true we still derive a large portion of our power from fossil fuels, btw, there was a gigantic coal ash spill into the Dan river recently, why don’t we invest in alternative energy sources, like nuclear, hydro, solar, wind, geothermal, hamster, etc., instead of denying that it’s a serious problem?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^yogi… yep… I GOTT that much… CP&L has put the kabash on the exact location as least with respect to the public…. nobody I know has seen them.

I am very familiar with the area and the big coal plants to the East… but don’t remember another smaller plant… was it east or west of Eden ??

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… more evidence of today’s climate and stupidity…

somebody at this table is making a big mistake….
    60% of everything currently viewed on cable will be viewed wireless in five years or less…..

http://www.wral.com/comcast-to-buy-time-warner-cable-for-45-billion/13388368/

cable wires… will be just like southern bell telephone lines before you know it.

what’s that old saying…. ‘a fool and his money… ?

———–

fwiw.. pak… that spill was from the sedimatation pond from a old plant that had been CLOSED DOWN for several years….

YogiNC
    Participant

Nope, sorry pak, the grid is the grid and it’s been around now for over 80 years. ALL service end points (your meter on your house) get’s their power from the grid which is made up of EVERY power generating facility on the grid (it’s how electricity works). Just because you have a nuclear plant in your back yard does not mean you get any more of your power from it than the plant’s total contribution to the grid. In the case of Shearon Harris that amounts to about 0.88% of total load from nuclear power, so you get less than 1% of 19%, or about 0.2% from the plant just down the road.

pakfanistan
    Participant

fwiw.. pak… that spill was from the sedimatation pond from a old plant that had been CLOSED DOWN for several years….

That’s just evidence that they’re dangerous even after they’ve been shut down.

I bet the problem was regulations were just too stringent for them to keep the waste contained. They spent so much lobbying against the EPA and environmental and regulations there just wasn’t enough left over to actually deal with the waste containment. Government ruins everything.

YogiNC
    Participant

Actually pak NCDENR is partly to blame because they did not enforce the rules even though they knew the plant had problems (and this has been going on for more than a few administrations so don’t go blaming the current guys for this). Today there is being an investigation launched into it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… yep…. and I bet the the problem was that those ponds (all the coal plants have them) were built on low lying areas adjacent to man made lakes where alluvial soils and the elevations of the surrounding areas made containment by today’s standards an issue forty or fifty years ago when those plants were built….

all you have to do ask some people who been living around those lakes most all their lives to tell some stories…
    if they are not already dead from cancer.

while it’s included in very small doses in most multi-vitamin tablets… selineium is a strong poison.

YogiNC
    Participant

Bill that plant has always belonged to Duke Power.
    Here’s a link to view the map.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=coal+fired+plant+eden+nc+map&ie=UTF-8&ei=VEr9Ut7KLMfF0gGOyoHQBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and Comcast promises “BETTER CABLE and INTERNET SERVICE” when the acquistion of TWC is completed…..

yogi.. thanks… that plant probably had it origins back with the predecessors of Fieldcrest…. and had been there a lot longer than fifty years…..

pakfanistan
    Participant

Nope, sorry pak, the grid is the grid and it’s been around now for over 80 years. ALL service end points (your meter on your house) get’s their power from the grid which is made up of EVERY power generating facility on the grid (it’s how electricity works). Just because you have a nuclear plant in your back yard does not mean you get any more of your power from it than the plant’s total contribution to the grid. In the case of Shearon Harris that amounts to about 0.88% of total load from nuclear power, so you get less than 1% of 19%, or about 0.2% from the plant just down the road.

That still doesn’t change the fact that that’s an argument FOR building up our non-fossil fuel infrastructure.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and I bet if NENR under any administration in the last twenty five yearshas been involved… the problem’s been worst not better… truth is Duke Power might have done more if left alone….

YogiNC
    Participant

Actually Pak I’m in the process of having a solar farm set up on my property (I have quite a few acres). Looks like i can have my electricity for free AND actually make some bucks.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Actually Pak I’m in the process of having a solar farm set up on my property (I have quite a few acres). Looks like i can have my electricity for free AND actually make some bucks.

I think that’s awesome. My family has some land I’m hoping we’ll use for biofuels or solar.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

twenty years ago .. I had the ‘perfect’ place on the farm to put a small hydro plant…
    same deal… all the power I ever needed for free and steady source of income from the sale of the excess produced back to CP&L.

Project went in the trash can when I figured out that I had to spend an amount equal to the total construction costs with lawyers and an another equal amount with ‘consultants’….

Just couldn’t make myself do that.

more about DENR here…
    http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20140213/ARTICLES/140219843/1177?Title=Feds-launch-criminal-probe-into-the-state-environmental-agency-tasked-with-regulating-Duke-Energy

YogiNC
    Participant

That’s one thing nice about a solar farm, it’s your land, solar poses no problems from an environmental aspect, and the permitting is easy. I’m looking at 6 to 8 K a year in return above my electrical consumption.

tjfoose1
    Participant

why don’t we invest in alternative energy sources, like nuclear, hydro, solar, wind, geothermal, hamster, etc…

We are. The technology just isn’t there yet. Problem is, the ‘green’ movement was long ago hijacked. Not the fault of true greenies, but they’re no longer in control. Right now, aside from privately funded endeavors, it’s more about power consolidation and laundering money, and definitely not about efficient and effective investments towards developing alternative energies.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

IceStorm +3days…

20,000 still without power in the Port City and…
    WTF…there are NO bucket trucks to be seen… except for the tree guys….

Duke Energy/Progress Energy/CP&L… some mergers don’t work out the way they are promised…
    and….
    Comcast promises “Better Cable and Internet Service” after they consolidate TWC into their operations…
    but…
    people ain’t stupid…. they know the difference between ChickenSh%t and ChickenSalad….

http://www.wral.com/comcast-twc-merger-worries-outrages-consumers/13394418/

pakfanistan
    Participant

In what way is the technology not there?

Nuclear is way past there. Wind and hydro are ancient technologies. Solar cell efficiency is rising, solar thermal is viable. We have plenty of options.

MrPlywood
    Participant

As much as I might disagree with some opinions on this site (usually when a post devolves into political and/or personal snark), I really do appreciate a good debate based on facts that illuminates different aspects of a topic. I like to hear from people who have a lot more practical experience with various issues. So thanks to all who chime in.

highstick
    Participant

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp! Looks like Clempson isn’t as famous as they think they are!

BTW, the earthquake we had last night in SC was just Strom rolling over in his grave in Edgefield!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… IF there was an earthquake south of US74-76 last night… nobody in the Old North State noticed….

pakfanistan
    Participant

OK… IF there was an earthquake south of US74-76 last night… nobody in the Old North State noticed….

I’ve heard that people in Charlotte felt it, but that depends on your feelings about Charlotte.

YogiNC
    Participant

Strom rolling over in his grave

Now THAT is funny and brings up a valid question… Is Strom really dead? I mean the man WAS 96 and still in the senate and actually had some waking moments even at that age.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.