Weekend Baseball: Heading to Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Weekend Baseball: Heading to Blacksburg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Ballsey waste pitch. 0-2 curve.

That was Austin.

Pack78
    Participant

Heart can start beating again…go Pack!

Adventuroo
    Participant

Gary Hahn was really ballyhooing the fact that we would be IN if we win. Supposedly the ACC “office” told them..

DUH…Pack would be 13 – 16 after second game….Pitt is 11 – 18. Best Pitt could do is 12 – 18. Worst we could do is 13 – 17. No TIE to break….even my wife can do that without a calculator.

We’re in….I kept thinking about EA’s decision with WFU to load the bases, TWICE.

Jimmy V said that one year, as part of his Basketball JV coaching job, he had to coach the baseball team. He went out on the mound when the pitcher had loaded the bases and the kid kept telling him “I STILL got IT….I can fan this guy”

He did and the next pitch was a HR and they lost…don’t remember by how much, but the 4 run Homer did it. V said that he learned….NEVER TRUST a PITCHER when he is in trouble. He will LIE to you….because of his ego and his overconfidence in his ability.

Really exciting games tonight….I did not get the 4 or 5 “Honey Do’s” done, but Honey was listening and cheering and cursing along with me.

NOW….win tomorrow and FOCUS on what we have to do in Post Season.

elvislives
    Participant

Lots of tie-break scenarios in the conference standings headed into today’s season finale. But from my understanding, none shake out with the possibility for the Pack to finish any higher than 7th. Meaning that Carlos will be on the hill for Tuesday’s ACC Tournament play-in game.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Gary Hahn was really ballyhooing the fact that we would be IN if we win. Supposedly the ACC “office” told them..

DUH…Pack would be 13 – 16 after second game….Pitt is 11 – 18. Best Pitt could do is 12 – 18. Worst we could do is 13 – 17. No TIE to break….even my wife can do that without a calculator.

Agreed ‘Roo. Hahn mentioned the confirmation call they made to the ACC office at least 3 or 4 times toward the end of the broadcast. Personally, I would have been embarrassed to broadcast the need to call the ACC office to figure that out.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Unfortunately some of our fans had no faith that we would play our way into the ACC tourney. But whether you did or didn’t, we are in! GO PACK! Let’s find our way back to Omaha! And here is to the softball team. Beat them dogs, today!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Lots of tie-break scenarios in the conference standings headed into today’s season finale. But from my understanding, none shake out with the possibility for the Pack to finish any higher than 7th. Meaning that Carlos will be on the hill for Tuesday’s ACC Tournament play-in game.

Yep. Pack is assured of playing Tuesday

As of now:

1. Miami 23-6
    2. FSU 21-8
    3. UVa 22-7
    4. Duke 15-14
    5. Carolina 15-14
    6. Maryland 15-14
    7. Clemson 14-14
    8. Wake 14-15
    9. GT 14-16
    10. NCSU 13-16

If State loses today it’s simple. They take the #10 slot.

If State wins today, then it gets more complicated.

A State win combined with a Wake win leaves the Pack tied with GT. State takes the #9 slot.

If State wins and Wake loses, all three teams are tied and State will take the #8 slot based upon combined records amongst the three (State 4-2, Wake 3-3, GT 2-4).

Other non-NCSU tie break scenarios:

A Clemson win today leaves them tied with Maryland at 15-14. Will they give the nod to Clemson by virtue of having won both games of their rain shortened series with Maryland, or will they play the rained out game? This decision could also impact which of the two makes the top 6 and avoids the Tuesday play in games (depending on what Duke and Carolina do today).

If Duke and Carolina finish in a two team tie, having swept Carolina, Duke will take the higher seed. They could also finish in a three team tie with Wake if both lose and Wake wins.

FSU is assured of the #2 seed no matter what happens today.

Miami and UVa could still flip flop. If Miami loses today and UVa wins, they both finish at 23-7, but UVa took 2 of 3 from the ‘Canes head to head.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Almost forgot….State winning today and making either the #8 or #9 seed is kind of a big deal.

The winner of the #8/#9 play in game goes into Pool A, while the winner of the #7/#10 play in game goes into Pool B.

Pool B will contain FSU and either Miami or UVa.
    Pool A will only contain either Miami or UVa.

elvislives
    Participant

That is indeed a big deal Wuf. The difference between wading in and getting pushed into the deep end. Either way for the Pack, it’s sink or swim from here on out.

Adventuroo
    Participant

WufPacker,

Good post. I looked at the NCSU v GT scenario and since we took 2, we would be #9. Did not go far enough up the food chain…..since we took 2 from WFU, then you are right as GT’s record is there….no more games.

Great post…

DY said, via email, last night that she THOUGHT we were in, and the ACC had told her folks that also. Don’t know WHO exactly called who or talked to who, but SHE was still going to do her own personal tally sheet before she was satisfied. Can’t blame her. I did mine after GH’s comments and the “thrill” of the victory had worn off.

GH’s comments almost poured the entire bucket of bad luck (the Curse of the Announcer telling you something is virtually in the bag….) on EA and crew.

Two pitchers…..both with “save” records less than “how shall we say…not oozing with confidence…” was spooky. BUT, it turned out OK….

Glad we did not have to use the WF trick of loading the bases to see if the pitcher was up to it again…

4in12
    Participant

Two o’clock start – anyone have a game feed?

Wufpacker
    Participant

No feeds that have been shared so far. We’ll see if the boys in the pressbox come thru again with a webcam.

Softball has just taken a 6th inning 3-2 lead over UGa, and still has the bases loaded with one away.

Wufpacker
    Participant

And there it is…

Wufpacker
    Participant

UGa loaded the bases but failed to score. Pack softball still up 3-2 going to the 7th.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Baseball: Rough first inning for Patrick Peterson puts State in an early 2 run hole.

Duke up 5-1 in Tallahassee (3rd)
    Carolina down 2-0 in Coral Gables (7th)
    BC up on Clemson 6-1 (6th)
    Wake/UVa scoreless in the 1st

Wufpacker
    Participant

Softball: Pack tacks on 2, now lead UGa 5-2, UGa down to their last three outs.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Softball: UGa puts up a fight in the 7th but falls short, Pack wins 5-4. Pack stays unbeaten and advances to tomorrow. UGa will have to face the UAB/Chattanooga winner later today and whoever wins that will have to beat the Pack twice tomorrow.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Carolina loses to Miami, Miami is the #1 seed.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Pack cuts VT lead in half, VT 2-1 mid 4th.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Duke up on FSU 7-3 heading to the 8th.
    Wake up on UVa 1-0 in the 5th.
    BC leading Clemson 9-4 in the 9th.

Wufpacker
    Participant

VT has pushed 3 across in the 4th so far to extend their lead to 5-1.
    NCSU pitching change, Corey Wilder.
    VT still has 2 on, one away in their half of the 4th.

Wufpacker
    Participant

6-1 VT leads after 4.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Clemson comes back with 5 in the bottom of the 9th to send that one with BC to extras.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Duke beats FSU 7-5
    UVa/Wake tied at 1 in the 6th.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Pack now trails VT 7-1 after 5.

Wake now leads UVa 4-1 after 6.
    Clemson/BC still tied at 9 after 10.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.