Virginia @ N.C. State – 8pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation Virginia @ N.C. State – 8pm

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 293 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

3-17 from three, a lot of them awful shot selection.

Gottfried on the radio talking about Caleb catching and shooting rather than hesitating on his shot. Said nothing about Lacey having a 1-on-1 with the ball in the paint. That’s scary to me.

We don’t have to shoot a 3 all the freaking time.

Packzingo
    Participant

Let’s face it, you really have to WANT to be a Pack fan.
    The easy choice is Duke or Tarholes!

I cringed everytime anyone took a 3, especially Turner and Martin, Clank Clank.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Back to celibacy. Smh.

Pack can bring the pain in that department if you’re waiting on them to win.

BassPacker
    Participant

How was Flagrant foul huge? UVa had the ball off our made basket any way. UVa only made one of the free throws. Uva turned ball over in that possession. It amounted to a one point swing. The quick brick by Turner when we took possession was more costly.

PackFamily
    Participant

Us longer suffering fans have seen this movie too many times. It doesn’t matter if it is against UVA or Clemson.

swamppack
    Participant

Unbelievable, how can one team (NC State b-ball) keep coming up with the most crushing defeats ever for so many years (25) on a normal basis? Belly-aching aside, Virginia’s ball movement was soooo much better than States tonight. One more belly-ache (of course), when will we get a coach who teaches fundamentals well, maybe never?

Heelh8r
    Participant

I still ain’t giving up. We can beat Louisville. Still got some opportunities left, and I’m with Jimmy V.

xphoenix87

Absolutely no shame in that loss. It’s another close one, and in infuriating fashion, but our guys played their butts off against a great team. That’s the best defense we’ve played all year, and I honestly didn’t think this team had that in them. We missed a whole bunch of 3s that were pretty good looks from guys who normally hit them, and the ball just didn’t roll our way at the end. It’s disappointing because this was our best shot at getting another signature win, but I’m not upset at all with how our guys played.

Cat Barber has been playing like the guy we all were hoping he would be over the last 3 games. That’s a huge positive sign going forward. If he stays this aggressive, it gives us an element on offense that we desperately need.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

How was Flagrant foul huge?

Cut it to 1 on a dunk – kills momentum, resets things for Virginia. Not to mention the call was BS. Game was tight the whole way. One point makes a difference.

Hope we can agree to disagree.

State did plenty of things to lose the game. That call did not help.

Heelh8r
    Participant

That call was ridiculous. I don’t see how the referees have a chance to go look at the replay, and still make calls like that. That was just incidental contact Martin headed the other way, been happening since basketball started.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I still ain’t giving up. We can beat Louisville. Still got some opportunities left, and I’m with Jimmy V.

Love your spirit.

Also, agree w/ xphoenix – but we should trim some 3 attempts 🙂

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Caleb Martin taking that 3 and Lacey missing that wide open layup (yes there was a defender there, but he had a GREAT look at the basket) were just devastating. Can’t blame a flagrant (that was clearly a flop) when you’re pooping the bed like that. And that happens time and time again with this team. Interested to read Gott’s post game comments tomorrow.

But yea, we ain’t beating Louisville or UNX. Both have higher bball IQs and better coaches. Gott’s good, but he is not great. Way I see it, this team could easily have 5-6 more wins (both UVA games, UNX, Miami, ND, Clemson, and Wake). Imagine that.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Not to mention they missed one that should have been called against WF after looking at the replay on that one too.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^I thought Martin went into him, but to me Nolte clearly had that in mind. I don’t see how they huddled and decided flagrant and not no call. Luckie was the driving force on that decision. I do not understand.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Maybe we’ll get another apology for another blown call. We can collect them.

xphoenix87

The flagrant was bad, but so were the two consecutive foul calls on Brogden, which probably had a bigger impact on the game. I mean, as far as the officals’ competence, the flagrant is way worse, since they looked at the replay and still called it (seriously, just inexcusable to call that), but in terms of game impact the Brogden fouls were pretty poor calls that probably helped us more than the flagrant hurt us.

BassPacker
    Participant

Agreed Wuf, the call did not help but it was not huge. Maybe BS but it was just one factor in a game of in the words of Bonner…too many lost opportunities. I blame Gott on this one….again. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Just seems to me if the 3 ball ain’t falling, and it wasn’t for our three biggest 3 pt shooters, then time to call another play. State was 3-17 (18%) from the three pt line…pathetic. When it ain’t working, Gott ain’t Gott a clue.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Virginia got a 3-point play on the possession after the flagrant call. Not a turnover. Just watched it on dvr after seeing people squawk about it on twitter.

4 point possession after cutting it to 1.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Live by the 3, die by the 3

Way too much of this for this team. Lacey started going to the rim late … Before that stretch, Turner had attacked the rim more than Lacey. That’s infuriating to me.

eas
    Participant

I have grown numb to the anger and frustration with this team (well Wolfpack BB in general). In the end it’s simple…another loss with every opportunity for it NOT to be.

That’s what has to change but it never does. Never.

choppack1
    Participant

Basspacker – you blame gott for this one? Does anyone on this board honestly believe that if the 2 teams switches coaches uva would be 10-1,22-1 overall…nc state might still be where we are, but I guarantee you uva wouldn’t just have 1 loss.

Funny thing is – gott coaches tech, BC or wake and they may be on the bubble. Such is the life of an nc state fan. I appreciate crappy coaches – no downside to firing them.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Critical to the outcome of the game or not, I still nominate Nolte for an Oscar… I thought that some pigmy cannibal hit him with a poisonous blow dart…

Royal Wulff
    Participant

They call it stormy Monday/
    But Tuesday’s just the same/
    Lord, and Wednesday’s worse/
    Thursday’s also sad

13OT
    Participant

UVA played without Justin Anderson, which would be about like us playing without Trevor Lacey. We had ’em at home, and still couldn’t finish. This doesn’t look like even a bubble team anymore, and in fact is starting to look like a candidate for the NIT’s last four in.

Lacey can make almost impossible shots from 30 feet and beyond in win-or-lose situations, but when he’s close to the basket, like several other of our players, he can’t finish. Plus, there were way too many quick bricks, as someone called them.

The effort was good, but without good fundamental play, it doesn’t matter much. The Martin twins seem to be the only two players on this team who have a fundamental grasp on how to play this game. They certainly are the only ones who know when NOT to shoot. No knock on the coaches, but I still don’t understand why Kyle Washington is usually on the bench late in games. Tonight we were getting killed inside late in the game, and I felt we had two quicker and better defenders on the pine in Washington and Freeman.

Forget the NCAAT. A .500 record or better in ACC is out the window, and there’s a real possibility this team could finish .500 or even worse overall. Heck, even Tuesday at the ACCT isn’t out of the question. All in all, I’d say the biggest problem is that the Pack’s score tonight just about matches its basketball IQ.

xphoenix87

Live by the 3, die by the 3

We don’t have to shoot a 3 all the freaking time.

On the season, State shoots threes on 30.9% of our field goal attempts. That’s 258th in the nation, and 9th in the ACC. We are not a team that shoots a huge amount of 3 pointers.

For this game, we shot 17 3s out of 57 FGAs. That’s 29.8%, just under our season average. We did not shoot an abnormally large number of 3s in this game. We did not shoot them well. We also didn’t shoot 2s very well, largely because Virginia is a really, really good defensive team. Regardless, if Ralston hits that quick 3 in transition (a shot he shoots, and makes, a lot) or Caleb hits the wide-open 3 in the corner, none of us are talking about this.

Also, by the by, I think Trevor absolutely made the right play on that drive. He hadn’t beat Brogden off the dribble, and Anthony Gill is standing right there with 2 feet in the paint. He gets Caleb a wide-open look with probably 5-6 feet of space between him and the defender, and he should’ve just shot the ball off the catch.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 293 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.