Tyler Lewis' \Next Stop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tyler Lewis' \Next Stop

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Why post? For the same reason people discuss coaches on the hot seat, recruiting, RPI, or last night’s game. It is discussion worthy, I think interesting, and this is a discussion forum. Timing? Can you send me the calendar? It sounds like October to March is root root root for the home team, April is transfers and coach firings, May to August off-season conditioning, and September pre-season practice.

If you are concerned this topic will negatively affect the team, I have written assurances from Tyler et al that they will not read this thread as it may offend their sensitivities and weaken team morale. Wilm, I expect your letter of agreement to do the same by end of day.

SqlWolf
    Participant

Wow, I am impressed by all the mind-reading and inferences made about what is going inside players’ heads. As someone who watches the games at home on TV more often than in person at the RBC/PNC, I have been impressed by the cohesion between players on this year’s team. They all seem to be playing together and there seems to be very little of the chemistry issues we have seen in the past. I don’t know anyone on the team personally and all I can talk about is what I have witnessed. This team has potential to become very good, I’m looking forward to watching the rest of the season play out. I hope Tyler busts through whatever malaise you guys think he has.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Coaches are paid adult professionals, they are fair game. Kids are not. That’s the difference, you’re talking about a kid.

LifeLongWolf
    Participant

Agree with others that TL transferring is likely, but I really root for him to stay. He is the kid like us who actually worked hard to get where he is, he wasnt blessed with tons of height or other natural skill. We all want to see that kind of hard work rewarded, but sports are a results based business and so far his results haven’t been stellar. I do think he played well at ND.

Any chance he has girl problems or something like that? He is a young man in college after all.

Sophomore slump?

LLW

Gowolves
    Participant

I don’t think anyone said anything negative about him. Just trying to figure out why he is not playing up to his level. Yes he has limitations in his game but he still has game and use his talents to his advvantage. If you asked him I think he would be honest in that he hasn’t played like he had hoped. It’s difficult to turn the ship around at times. Your time starts to dwindle and then you press to make plays because you think this may be the only minutes I get tonight. More playing time is usually the cure for someone with his ability. But if he flounders just a bit then he comes out.

I think you have to ask if that time doesn’t come then he will consider other places. You can’t blame him. I hope he stays and guts it out. I like the kid. I do think he his good enough to play at NCSU. As the season goes along and the closer it gets to the end and he doesn’t get out of his funk then you can expect him to look. He looked good the other night against ND. Lets hope he can build on it against UVA. UVA plays really good defense and he has experience against that team.

redisgood
    Participant

When I say stop, I don’t mean defensive stop, but rather his next destination. Anyone who is at the games sitting near the bench, and probably on TV as well, can easily see Tyler has checked out. A wall has been built between Lewis and Gottfried, and no amount of kumbaya is going to beak down that wall. In the Pitt game, Gott had to tell Tyler to get his ass on the court towards the end when Tyler initially balked at going in for mop up duty.

Anyway, my guess is UNC Charlotte. He is from that area, his brother played for them, and their point guard will be a senior while Tyler is sitting out. I think that will be a much better fit for him.

A few people were pissed at me when I posted this a few months ago, but it was inevitable. And I still say it will be Charlotte.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I saw this, too. But was hoping the late season run, of which he was a big part, would have helped keep him here.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Figured with Lutz staying that things would settle down. Lutz was the key to Tyler and it is ODD that Lutz stays and Tyler goes.

If I had had to bet, on WHO was leaving (other than TJ….which I think is becoming less and less probable), then I would have bet on Lutz leaving.

We will never know, or at least I hope we don’t, WHY…

Things happen and each must make up their own mind.

Watching Josh Davis the other night sure makes me wish that he would have been playing his Sr. year for us LAST year and filling in for losing Richard and DeShawn.

Oh well….it happens….you go where you think you will play and be appreciated.

Purvis will be an interesting situation next year…..will he be another Josh or a Ryan Harrow?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Well….
    The “Now you see it….NOW you don’t” Edit Function is AWOL (at least on my PC) in the forums. BUT, it appears to be a “time out” function…as it exists on this post.

Guess that Tyler will have to change his Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/tylewis_12

Probably the handle…unless he grabs a “12”, but DEFINITELY the art work.

Here is a more informative article…probably in the N&O, but it showed up in the CO.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/29/4804481/nc-state-tyler-lewis-to-transfer.html#.UzgFWZ3D-M8

mak4dpak
    Participant

Tyler clearly was not the scorer he was last year, with lots of 3s, and that disappointed me, but minus the scoring, he was a much better leader of the offense, with few turnovers, and lots of assists. Barber on the other hand was mostly out of control, and many times lost track of the shot clock only to force a wild shot. So if Barber is our future PG, then he needs to work on being a PG, that is conscious of his teammates and the clock. And I am sorry to hear Tyler is transferring out. Wish him the best.

infinity_hearts
    Participant

With the twins coming in, then Cat, Tyler Lewis would of been benched a lot. Look how much Cat played this year as a freshman. He caused some crucial turnovers in the last few games, which should of sat him out and had Tyler in to clean up everything. But that didn’t happen. I guess Cat has got the speed and better defense, but we needed a true point guard to settle and create the offense. I don’t know, Tyler just got cheated out. I hope he gets more playing time at wherever he goes, he deserves it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Charlotte is in the mix:

Former N.C. State point guard Tyler Lewis said Charlotte is one a handful of schools where he is considering transferring.

Lewis, a sophomore who left the Wolfpack program last week, told the Observer on Thursday he is considering the 49ers, along with Butler, Purdue, Minnesota, Xavier and Alabama-Birmingham.

“It’s a program on the rise and I feel like they have a pretty good team,” Lewis said of Charlotte. “I’ve heard a lot of good things about coach (Alan) Major. I know where they’re trying to go. They’re trying to turn it around down there and it feels like they have the pieces to the puzzle.”

Lewis also spoke for the first time about his reasons for leaving N.C. State. He was offered a scholarship by former coach Sidney Lowe coming out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, but played both his seasons with the Wolfpack under current coach Mark Gottfried.

“I just thought it was right step for me to make the move,” Lewis said. “I didn’t commit to (Gottfried’s) staff. I committed to coach Lowe’s staff. I appreciate their honoring their commitment to me, but it wasn’t the staff I committed to.”

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wow. I thought he was obvious enough during his post-game comments that he didn’t like MG. But this is over the line and immature, IMHO. Buh bye, already.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Sour grapes. Let him lick his wounds. I saw an article where he visited Butler and his comments were centered around PT.

If Gott was the real issue then he would have left after his freshman year or would have backed out of his initial commitment. Gee whiz, his dad is a scout. Thanks for the link ‘Roo. The kid wanted to play at and for State. Gott didn’t promise him the point and the pt. He’s taking his ball and leaving to a university that will give him the best commitment possible.

All of these guys transferring benefit and need the extra year of growth. It will help them in the long run. Harrow, Purvis, Lewis, and Davis are great examples.

Lowe was told in Feb that he would not be retained. It wasn’t a secret. I am curious if Lowe was lying to the kids about PT and making other commitments he knew he couldn’t keep, which would put the new coach in a bad situation. Given Harrow’s scorched earth note, I would say yes.

Unfortunately for him, State has improved and has better talent than when he arrived. I feel bad for him. He is a good kid. He wants to go pro. He’s got to get a whole lot more PT under his belt and he needed to be a star.

His defense and offensive scoring highlighted that he wasn’t starter material yet. He is a fantastic passer and a little ball of energy though. Fact is he was not going to realize his personal goals at State. He views team as a partnership not necessarily something that he’s deeply committed too- this is normal in today’s society. He’ll carry that with him wherever he goes.

What might have been his senior year with some leadership growth….makes me a little sad. I do wish him well and if he changed his mind tomorrow, I would forgive him in two seconds and welcome him back.

redcanine
    Participant

Some people hear that famous GlenGaryGlenRoss speech and root for Baldwin; others Pacino/Lemon/Harris…

College basketball is a seller’s market. This deal is closed.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Hope Warren decides to return, and as for the Lewis/Barber comparisons, I vote Lewis, sure he didn’t score like we needed, but he knew how to run the offense, and dish out the assists. Barber has talent but too many times he is too fast and out of control, forgetting the team concept. He needs to learn to show more leadership if he is gonna be our future PG.

charger17
    Participant

I really like Lewis as well, but I think you have to look at upside when comparing our two PG’s from this year. I know Cat had plenty of Freshman moments, but the real comparison is whether Cat’s offensive leadership will be less of a weakness than Lewis’ defense. For me, there’s no question you have to go with Cat moving forward, and that means he get’s more playing time this year.

There’s just nothing you can do to improve a guy with Lewis’ physic on defense (and this is coming from a 5’8″ guard). I’ve heard coaches from lower college ranks say that players have the skills that it takes to play at the highest college levels, but the guy whose 4 inches taller and 20 pounds bigger can do it just as fast and as good as you can.

I felt like our real setback in the ACC semi’s were when we needed Lewis in the game on offense, but had to resort to the zone for a few minutes to offset the defensive weakness. This is when Duke pulled from 3-4 to 8-10 points ahead. Honestly, other than that spurt, we stayed with them. So, I’m pleased that we need Cat’s offensive leadership to improve in the future rather than Lewis’ defense.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Somebody might want to tell Lewis that Major isn’t on solid footing at Charlotte. He has done nothing there, in a very weak conference. Attendance continues to sag. At least one local columnist is questioning why in the world Rose (AD) is keeping him on.

Minnesota won the NIT last night over SMU, with the young Pitino coaching in his first year.

Don’t know about Purdue. Big 10 ball is super physical. Can he D up enough for the Boilers

Butler seems about right.

nav
    Participant

Butler is definatley a much, much better program than Charlotte. Charlotte talent would be a big step down from Butler so he would get much more PT. Hard to imagine a 5 star PG playing at Charlotte. Who knows when the last time that’s happened.

I don’t mean this to be a direct knock on Lewis, but how in the heck did he ever get rated 5 star anyway. Other than his exceptional passing skills what did he show in hs and AAU that put him up that high. If you saw him in college you would think strong 3 star PG fit for high mid-major school.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The only school on his list that isn’t a clear step down from NC State is Minnesota. Again, the market speaks.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

I don’t think I would want to go to Minnesota. That would be hard for a NC kid. I am thinking Butler. The more trips he takes the more he sounds the same and it comes off as insincere- like talking points.

Rick
    Keymaster

Lewis to Butler.
    Here is his quote

Tyler Lewis: “I need a coach that has full confidence in me and someone I can trust.” http://foxs.pt/1lvqMdI

Wulfpack
    Participant

Ouch. I’m sure (in his mind) he has his reasons. But he would do well to keep it vanilla.

redcanine
    Participant

Sounds like he needs a priest. Do they have those there at Butler?

Go away, Wee Baby Seamus.

Wulfpack
    Participant

RALEIGH, NC — NC State sophomore point guard Tyler Lewis said Friday he’s transferring to Butler.

NC State announced last weekend that Lewis would look to play elsewhere. In a phone interview with The Associated Press, Lewis said he looked at Purdue, Xavier, Charlotte, Gonzaga and UAB before choosing Butler.

“They just made it feel like home up there,” Lewis said. “All the players, I fit in really well with them. … I just felt like it would fit my style of play great — the way they get out in transition and have a lot of screen-and-rolls.”

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10730568

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.