TJ Warren declares for NBA draft; future of NC State basketball

Home Forums All StateFansNation TJ Warren declares for NBA draft; future of NC State basketball

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

They grow up so fast these days.

Pack85EE
    Participant

I see no limit to the potential of the Wolfpack under Gott yet.
    He’s recruiting well and that’s the key. As he brings in his guys and builds teams with multiple years of his guys we should be better than the last 3 years. And as we get better and build a reputation, recruiting gets easier.
    I still look back to the slow growth of the Coach K Duke program. V got out of the gates quicker while Coach K slowly built up Duke. They were in the middle (of 8) when K got there.
    Continuing, If Gott continues to recruit and builds on his success, slowly improving recruiting, he has another upward jump in his success coming. When K, Roy, Boeheim retire, the more established programs/coaching staff take some of their recruiting territory. I know all three programs will hire top level coaches, but a more established competitor will do well against them. A program with another replaced coach gains no ground. The Pack needs to have a top level reputation when that happens.

Rick
    Keymaster

The K comparison is like the Godwin rule for coaches.

Just… stop.

Rick
    Keymaster

As for the “recruting well” mantra. His classes have dropped in ranking all three years he has been here. Not a good trend.

redisgood
    Participant

When you start at 5, that’s a little hard to maintain in your first few years. 12 + Turner and 18 + Lacey for encores isn’t chopped liver. 5 to 25 to 55 would not be a good trend.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok… maybe this will cheer everybody up… a little…

Devonte Graham can leave App State

Now let’s see what happens next…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Deacon Blues
    Participant

^ love the tampering dig. F’n ESPiN

Khan
    Participant

44 might be wrong. But he might very well be right. There’s a big difference between saying we will likely not elevate above Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville and saying we’ll suck.

Until we solve the transfer thing and the defense thing and the lack of composure in close games thing and the free throw thing, I haven’t seen any logical thought cluster that gives solid reasoning on why we’ll be be much higher than 6th or 7th.

It’s probably too early to bail on Gottfried, but there are some definite red flags that remain hoisted over the program. Until they’re lowered, I’m not sure why we should expect a bunch of great things.

redisgood
    Participant

It’s more 44’s body of work than a single post. The guy gives new meaning to the word morbid. Point taken, point taken, point taken, point taken, point taken, point taken, point taken. You get the point.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

And poof, gone again. Ok I tried twice to post the link and excerpt from Yahoo.

Apparently we have not reached out to Mr Graham yet Mr Bill. Not sure we are in pla.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/newly-released-devonte-graham-will-be-a-coveted-recruit-the-next-few-days-152157090.html

Fifteen schools have already called Graham to show interest in recruiting him since he received his complete release late Wednesday night. Among those to reach out to the Class of 2014’s best available point guard are Boston College, Cincinnati, Creighton, Florida, Florida St, George Mason, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Providence, South Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Xavier.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

thx VA

BJD95
    Keymaster

I do think we will be in play for Graham. He fits what we need (backup PG whose role can grow in the future).

Pack85EE
    Participant

Yea, we get Graham and the last 3 recruiting classes final result might be each one better than the one before. It’s hard to rate a class until they are done but the first class had one bonafide NBA player and two disgruntled guards. We’ll see how great those two become. ehh!
    I actually think the current freshman class might be the best of the lot, depending how strong the big men get.
    But to add a strong guard to the incoming class makes it look as good as the previous two.
    Yea, when I raise a red flag, it has a wolf and white letters on it.

BJD95
    Keymaster

With Graham, nice rotation indeed:

PG: Cat, Graham (30/10)
    SG: Lacey, Des (30/10)
    SF: BSW, Twin A, Twin B (30/5/5)
    PF: Le Nard, KW (20/20)
    C: KH, Abu (20/20)

StateRed44
    Participant

I don’t care about recruiting rankings. Just win baby. We probably have an easier path to a banner season using a senior laden team. If we can keep classes together for 4 years and throw in a TJ Warren/Julius Hodge “queen on the chessboard” type once every 4 years or so, I think that would be our best bet. It would take a few successive deep runs or championship seasons to start to expect top 15 classes year in and out. Frankly with the way the McD’s guys are so entitled, I would rather have the hard worker type with one superstar to bump us over the top.

MrPlywood
    Participant

PG: Cat, Graham (30/10)
    SG: Lacey, Des (30/10)
    SF: BSW, Twin A, Twin B (30/5/5)
    PF: Le Nard, KW (20/20)
    C: KH, Abu (20/20)

I like the looks of that scenario. I was impressed by the growth of KH, Le Nard and KW and look forward to continued improvement.

Tau837
    Participant

We have a great rotation with or without Graham. Just split the 10 Graham minutes between Des and the twins.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would say we have a GOOD rotation without him. But we are still quite vulnerable to one of guards getting hurt or sick (or if/when two get in foul trouble).

I propose we spend most of December determining who is Twin A, and who is Twin B. It does not necessarily have to line up with who is the good twin vs. evil twin…but it might.

Tau837
    Participant

If Cat or Lacey gets hurt or sick next season (or in serious foul trouble), I seriously doubt a freshman Graham makes a significant difference over the combination of the senior Des plus the freshman twins.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.