Title run begins tonight: GA Southern thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Title run begins tonight: GA Southern thread

Viewing 20 posts - 151 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

Well, that was far from inspiring. At least they won. I’m sure it’s all part of Gott’s plan. Let them face some adversity so that they don’t get too overconfident, but still keep them in it just enough to win. Brilliant master plan at work, no doubt.
    The good thing is that Gott’s teams are usually their best by March, so there’s still plenty of time.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Where was Shawn Kirk?

Sitting at the end of the bench praying for a large enough blowout to allow him some PT.

choppack1
    Participant

Interesting comments. I didn’t see or listen the game, but this game kind of fits into where I thought this team would struggle.

It sounds like we settled for a lot of 3s and didn’t make a lot of them…which probably shouldn’t surprise us because quite frankly, we didn’t make a lot of them early.

Again, in order for this team to break out of Gott’s ceiling, they will have to rebound better (which they didn’t do last night) or create more turnovers through better d.

Kapita will help and I think Yurtsven will help a ton giving us better ball movement and I chance to run that high post offense.

We can’t get too down on this team (that’s coach’s job)…first game in a long season for a team braking in a lot of new players and we gott the win. Can’t win em all without winning the first one (and ga southern may surprise some folks)

Gowolves
    Participant

I saw a comment on ESPN that Georgia southern would give us fits. I didn’t believe it. Figured this was just a homer talking trash. I was wrong. This GA team matched up well. The were a lot like us. Guard oriented. Not real big inside.

We played like a young team a lot. Not surprisingly. The rebounding has to be better. The way the game played out there were ton of long rebounds and inside players drawn out away from the basket. If you watched GA southern on the defensive glass in the second half they were sending four to the rim every time. Our guys were standing around the perimeter and some just outside the paint. This was by design I think to set perimeter screens and the pick and roll. The thing is the pick and roll didn’t work at all last night. Not sure if they ran it enough. Abu just hasn’t developed that consistent 12 footer yet.

That’s where having Yurt will help a lot. I think he can run that play to perfection. Such a tremendous passer and short range shooter. Abu needs to play down low and run high low screens between him and Yurt. Ted, and Abu in for breathers at times. Hicks as well. They didn’t cut to the basket enough when the ball was passed into the free throw line area. This in my opinion is just getting to know the offense better. There will be a lot of improvement in the next game. They now know it will take supreme effort every night. As good as Smith is he can’t think he is the only one out there. I understand he will dominate some games but some nights he will struggle. He needs to trust his teammates to pick up the difference. They didn’t last night.

Gowolves
    Participant

Also having Yurt to break the full court presses will help a lot. He can see over the defense and make the right passes out of it.

Adventuroo
    Participant

TexPack…..you are the winner, in my book, this morning. The 4G & KK Addict made my morning.

NOW, I will share an email that I got from someone that obviously has coached BB and KNOWS what is going on….I will not confirm or deny any guesses on the author….but is was an interesting observation….much like yours…

Georgia Southern is experienced and talented. Aggressive, too.
    We needed more bigs to be eligible to play. Ted will play Sunday and he is fierce on the boards. Eight more games and Omer can also play

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m just not buying that Georgia Southern is a good team. They went 14-17 last year overall and were 10-10 in conference playing in the Sun Belt. It’s not okay to be squeaking past them by 2 points at home. The only thing making the circumstance bearable is that it’s the very first game of the season for a team with a lot of new parts. That said I’m confident we’ll see growth and improvement going forward. This game is a perfect opportunity to impart some important lessons on this team early. Hopefully that happens.

tractor57
    Participant

So fire the chancellor, the Ad and all the coaches in all sports. It was game 1 with essentially a new team. GA Southern showed they a good team on court – we showed we can but are not there yet.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

That wasn’t the same team we saw in the scrimmage or the two exhibitions.

You can’t play with yourself and/or Div2 teams all year.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I predicted 37-3 this season and I had this one as a win, so I’m happy about that.

Enjoy your streak while it lasts….because it won’t last long.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Again, in order for this team to break out of Gott’s ceiling, they will have to rebound better (which they didn’t do last night) or create more turnovers through better d.

I don’t disagree….but do you really expect it?

State has a lot of different pieces this year and Gott will have to figure out how to put them together. From everything I’ve read, everyone is expecting a pretty easy OOC schedule. Hopefully that’s true and the team/coaches will use that to work out the kinks before the real season starts on Dec 31 @ Miami.

An offense that consists of little more than slinging up three’s will not win much in the ACC. If offense is Gott’s strength and what I saw last night was his offensive plan, then this year will turn ugly quick. I’m hoping with a young team that last night was more of a learning experience than a predictor of the season.

Wufpacker
    Participant

You can’t play with yourself

Now you tell me!!!!

SaccoV
    Participant

My version of the GBU (Good, Bad, Ugly) from the game last night:

Good: Effort, Bench–Torin Dorn is a grinder, and that wasn’t there last year at all (outside of Barber). Bench,

Bad: Shooting, rebounding, individual defense/defensive awareness, Isolation offense–Abu and Rowan are defensive liabilities at this point. Abu is in his 3rd year and any forward with the ability to dribble gives him problems. He allowed their one decent forward to dribble from the corner to the basket and score on two straight possessions, which warranted a quick timeout. Shooting was abyssmal, especially from the arc. Rowan and Henderson missed badly, and missed on wide-open looks in the 2nd half. Those shots have to fall, to negate really bad defense. Rebounding, Dorn and Abu were decent on the boards, but no block outs on so many occasions in both halves is distressing and Rowan still thinks the game is volleyball and we almost lost two defensive rebounds because of this. Defense, Abu still wants to block jump shots CJL-style and this sets him up for losing rebounding position. The coaches need him to correct this if this team wants to really make noise.

Ugly: Rowan, Anya–BJ Anya should not see the floor again this year. He cannot move and/or he refuses to move on both offense and defense. He was also the one who yelled at Rowan during a defensive series into a timeout, and I still can’t figure out why. Rowan has concrete feet. In the first half, he was the recipient of two baskets by moving without the ball, but he refused to do anything but stand and run for a screen and a three in the second half. The more athletic players are going to get those minutes if all he’s going to do is be Woo part 2.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Local gossip from the watering hole in the Champions Club….and my wife’s take on it.

We will have a GREAT Year….based on the following…

Coach GOTT has lost a LOT of weight. He really does look thinner (but he is becoming more follically challenged)

Beard actually looks half way decent on him as it grows out a little

His D>I>V>O>R>C>E was finalized in the spring. Only owns ONE house in Wake County (still probably making the payments on the one is his Ex Wife’s name though….she is in the original pad they bought when he moved here).

He has a very nifty (Hubba Hubba) GF. Several years younger….IF it was the one that was on his side at the Reynold’s Dedication. My DW said that she hoped this one could do everything that the previous one was NOT doing so he is sexually satisfied at home and is not chasing skirts like WJC….that way he can “focus” on his job and not “Think” with his manhood…

BJ is NOT following (late night and weekend) the Dietician’s Plan….nor has he signed up for NutriSystem meals when NOT foraging at the Training Table. Word is that you do NOT want to stand between BJ and the last Twinkie….you will be in traction for a LONG TIME…

Gowolves
    Participant

Ugly: Rowan, Anya–BJ Anya should not see the floor again this year. He cannot move and/or he refuses to move on both offense and defense. He was also the one who yelled at Rowan during a defensive series into a timeout, and I still can’t figure out why. Rowan has concrete feet. In the first half, he was the recipient of two baskets by moving without the ball, but he refused to do anything but stand and run for a screen and a three in the second half. The more athletic players are going to get those minutes if all he’s going to do is be Woo part 2.

Don’t disagree about Anya. He is not the player we hoped he would be and has trouble getting there because he has food issues.

As far Rowan goes yeah I would agree he gets stuck at times. He is not Wood and he was never intended to be just like Wood. Yeah he can hit the three but he is much more than that. I would agree he is not the three killer Wood was. He will get in the lane and mix it up. He is scrappy. He can shoot and has great body seperation on the interior shots. I don’t know why people keep trying to compare him to Wood or any other spot up three shooter. That is only part of his game.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Roo’s post veers way toward TMI. 🙂

I forgot about 7 being out, that had to play a part in the flow or lack thereof. As I said before, maybe Gott should just let the guys play.

SaccoV
    Participant

Gowolves, I agree that Mav has more size and versatility than Woo, but if he’s going to stand around on the offensive end, he’s not going to help give some space for Dorn and DSJ to drive. I would love to see him develop more of a mid-range game, and he’s going to get that opportunity, but he needs to cash-in on it. Abu has a strong 16-foot jump shot to help give him some space on the block, and Mav should use some similar spot to help himself (and the team) on the offensive end. But if he stands still for several possessions, he’s not going to become what we are expecting.

john of sparta
    Participant

well, of course.

Gott had Girl issues at Alabama.
    if he can get beyond that and COACH
    then we have enough talent to finish.
    bottom line: this year it’s all on him.

Gowolves
    Participant

Gowolves, I agree that Mav has more size and versatility than Woo, but if he’s going to stand around on the offensive end, he’s not going to help give some space for Dorn and DSJ to drive. I would love to see him develop more of a mid-range game, and he’s going to get that opportunity, but he needs to cash-in on it. Abu has a strong 16-foot jump shot to help give him some space on the block, and Mav should use some similar spot to help himself (and the team) on the offensive end. But if he stands still for several possessions, he’s not going to become what we are expecting.

Mav needs to get inside and work out from there. Make the the defender follow him out. He has the mid range jumper in his arsenal. Then he has the advantage. Abu in my opinion has no shot from 10 feet out. At least not consistently

choppack1
    Participant

I don’t disagree….but do you really expect it?

State has a lot of different pieces this year and Gott will have to figure out how to put them together.

Yea. Unfortunately, I have my suspicions… however, the big question is can we be good enough to rebound slightly above average and create more to’s than we have in thd past.

The talent is there.

Viewing 20 posts - 151 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.