Tip-off against FSU at 9pm in PNC

Home Forums All StateFansNation Tip-off against FSU at 9pm in PNC

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

WOW….clean the garage so I could paint and then had an adult beverage and NO ONE is tending the nursery. With so much gloom and doom, I need to open the “1-800-WOE-IS-ME-PACK” line.

FYI, the ladies went over to Durham and done good….really good. Read about Wes’ triumphs…..and then we can debate whether to put Wes in charge of the Men’s team and GOTT in charge of the Women’s. I think that Bill Clinton would approve of that…

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article54814845.html

MEGA Congrats to the ladies….they have been struggling….and finally pull it together. Hope that their victory inspires the lads. UNC will be loaded…..just in case….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mr. Dog is already swinging for the fences and we GOTT three weeks before Pitchers and Catchers show up for Spring Training…

B’rer ‘Roo…

Send a dozen cases of those FREE – PACKs – the red & whites down here to the beach…
    I GOTT the Oysters…

Bring Mr. Dog with you when you deliver in that RV….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

I agree with those saying you need talent to win big. There are two ways to get it — recruit elite talent or take good players and develop them. We’re seemingly trying the former, but are probably better off doing the second.

I don’t agree with the premise that we are getting good shots on offense. An open shot on offense isn’t necessarily a good one. Sometimes there are reasons a player is open (opposing coach saying to let a player shoot from there if they want to). A close to the basket shot isn’t a good one if rushed or off balance. About every shot Rowan takes is a bad one because he’s running off screens and seems to be off balance. An offense isn’t generating good looks if the effective FG % is pretty much dead last amongst D1 power conference schools.

I do agree with the thought that if we had a more efficient offense, we’d have won more games. I just don’t think that it is shooting alone.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think the shots were good shots, especially against FSU. It’s just that nobody outside of Cat can knock them down consistently. Not until late in the game anyways. And our misses are feeding the break. We are not a very athletic or deep team, so teams are going to run us. We’re just not a good team this year for a variety of reasons. It’s looking like an 0-9 kind of start, and that isn’t good. A mulligan kind of season it is. Gott is going to have to earn his pay this offseason.

Rick
    Keymaster

It most certainly CAN be done, but ya got to put the bounce-bounce in the hole…period.

From 2 or 22…doesn’t matter. These guys have gotten boatloads of good looks, from every spot on the floor and yet…

Sigh
    Is this when the “coach can’t shoot the ball arguments begin”? That argument might hold for a coaches first few years but year five the team is all his. IMO we Gott what we Gott (to coin a phrase from bill).

Rick
    Keymaster

I think the shots were good shots, especially against FSU. It’s just that nobody outside of Cat can knock them down consistently. Not until late in the game anyways. And our misses are feeding the break. We are not a very athletic or deep team, so teams are going to run us. We’re just not a good team this year for a variety of reasons. It’s looking like an 0-9 kind of start, and that isn’t good. A mulligan kind of season it is. Gott is going to have to earn his pay this offseason.

If the player can’t hit the shot its not a good one. I could design an offense to get Anya a wide open three every time. Is that a good shot?

pakfanistan
    Participant

If the player can’t hit the shot its not a good one. I could design an offense to get Anya a wide open three every time. Is that a good shot?

Follow the logical progression here. You take away the green light from Caleb and Mav. What are opposing defenses going to do? Our bigs are shooting a ridiculously low %, Cat is now our only offense which makes us significantly easier to guard.

Right now opposing teams know Caleb and Mav are capable of hitting those shots and they have to respect it. Which opens up the floor for the bigs, who need all the help they can get, and Cat to operate.

Just because they aren’t hitting doesn’t mean they can’t, or that they’re bad shots. Caleb was shooting over 40% from 3. Rowan is obviously capable of hitting shots. For whatever reason they’re just not right now.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Anya with the ball is a turnover because he can’t hit his free throws. We are to thin to win in this league, or anywhere for that matter. We set up for an offensive play and within 5 seconds, it’s a clear out and watch Cat try to do something. Defenses double Cat and yet the open man is no where to be found. No movement. We are a season on the stink. No way I’m watching Saturday…no way. Sad, I love my Wolfpack, but I won’t watch them get humiliated at Cheaterville.

packbackr04
    Participant

Caleb shooting 40%? hahahahahhahahahahaha!!!

Over the last 9 games Caleb Martin is shooting 22-80 from the field. That is 27.5%. He’s hit 13-60 from beyond the arc, for 22%

and while I agree Rowan is “capable” of hitting shots.

Over the last 9 games Mav Rowan is shooting 35-113. That is about 31% from the field. He’s hit 20-64 for 31% from 3 point range

Rick
    Keymaster

Just because they aren’t hitting doesn’t mean they can’t, or that they’re bad shots. Caleb was shooting over 40% from 3. Rowan is obviously capable of hitting shots. For whatever reason they’re just not right now.

They are not hitting them, maybe they will one day but they aren’t right now. I get your point. Who else is going to shoot?

IMO we should not be in this situation to begin with.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Over the last 9 games Caleb Martin is shooting 22-80 from the field. That is 27.5%. He’s hit 13-60 from beyond the arc, for 22%

Over the last 9 games Mav Rowan is shooting 35-113. That is about 31% from the field. He’s hit 20-64 for 31% from 3 point range

I see you struggle with differentiating present tense from past tense.

Before the USF game Caleb was shooting a very high percentage.

Texpack
    Participant

I tried to shift the Mojo on Wednesday night by not watching. Clearly this one wasn’t on me. We don’t have enough talent to be competitive. In year 5 that’s on Gott. Period.

Rick
    Keymaster

Essentially since ACC play began. I am not really surprised he is struggling against the ACC teams.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Essentially since ACC play began. I am not really surprised he is struggling against the ACC teams.

He air balled a wide open three against FSU. I speculate it’s not ACC play that’s giving him fits.

Rick
    Keymaster

He air balled a wide open three against FSU. I speculate it’s not ACC play that’s giving him fits.

I guess both of our speculations are different. Neither of us knows why just that they are not shooting well.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I guess both of our speculations are different. Neither of us knows why just that they are not shooting well.

Confirmed. All I know for sure is they’re not making them now. The whys and the hows are above my pay grade.

Rick
    Keymaster

Confirmed. All I know for sure is they’re not making them now. The whys and the hows are above my pay grade.

To expand a bit on this…
    Martin has bad form. Players with bad form can get hot but usually are very streaky. Turner was like this.
    GFK never seems to go straight up and down. He is always leaning one way or the other when he shoots. This adds complexity to his shot that makes it harder to hit.

Two notes about my opinion
    1) I am not a coach
    2) I have not watched many games recently.

redisgood
    Participant

I watched a couple of Caleb’s Oak Hill games on TV, and he was the same way. Not a good shooter. He would airball a few then hit one. Most of his points were off of tenacious defense and in transition with his brother.

packbackr04
    Participant

No offense is meant by this…. I think its pretty simple, they dont hit them because they just arent very good. Caleb would get no more than 5 mins (to give a starter a breather) on any other ACC team. Yet hes forced into 25 mins a game and you see the results. And that is on Gott not on Caleb.

pakfanistan
    Participant

No offense is meant by this…. I think its pretty simple, they dont hit them because they just arent very good. Caleb would get no more than 5 mins (to give a starter a breather) on any other ACC team. Yet hes forced into 25 mins a game and you see the results. And that is on Gott not on Caleb.

Hahaha, oh man…I need some of what you’re having.

I feel bad for Cat. His numbers are even more impressive considering every team knows he’s our only ball handler and primary scorer. I’m haunted by the ghost of Tyler Lewis whenever anyone not named Cat has to dribble the ball even 1 inch up the court, while being slightly guarded…

Wulfpack
    Participant

It’s a fair point, it really is. No, Anya’s three would be an awful shot, obviously. Better off having somebody throw one up and let him fetch it.

Cat, Martin and Rowan obviously have the green light. I trust the staff enough on that – they aren’t idiots. You know when a player doesn’t have the go ahead. You have to take open shots. If you don’t, then the D will sag, and Cat will
    be doubled all night long. We don’t have any consistent options to score in the post, so you have to take them. Rowan is going to get it going at some point. May not be this year (except in spurts), but he has Wood-like shooter’s ability (he’s a wreck on D, just like Wood).

They are fine shots. We just don’t seem to have the personnel right now. Put Lacey and/or Henderson on the floor, and it’s a different story (definitely with Lacey). But none of that explains away the poor post play. Freeman and Anya are no threat to score if it isn’t a putback. Abu has enormous potential and is doing some really good things, but it isn’t consistent.

We just have no margin for error this year. Injuries/transfers. No depth. Not explosive. Getting hurt on the plethora of misses. Little post presence. Can’t shoot free throws. It’s the perfect storm and a year Gott will want to forget.

Rick
    Keymaster

This is the type of year you get when Gott doesn’t have overwhelming talent. And the recruiting has not been trending up. Next year was supposed to be the big breakout but Bam going to Cal ruined that.

Wufpacker
    Participant

This is the type of year you get when Gott doesn’t have overwhelming talent. And the recruiting has not been trending up. Next year was supposed to be the big breakout but Bam going to Cal ruined that.

This is a very interesting point, paralleled by discussion on other threads re: frosh PG’s. If Bam had come to Raleigh as many had expected, would it ease some of the current pain due to a perceived brighter outlook for ’16-’17?

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Most definitely…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.