The recruiting trail…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball The recruiting trail…

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

Truth is… I dunno enough to really speak intelligently

You know more than most. I wish those who are so sure of everything had this outlook.

ryebread
    Participant

Duck: That’s great news if true. We’ve not really had that since HWSNBN.

Tractor: My wife was a real student athlete. She played D1 sports (quite well as she holds virtually every record for her school), worked on campus and graduated summa from one of the nation’s elite universities while being an Academic All american. Real student athletes exist and my hat is off to them. She gave it all for every waking moment for 4 years (which is a good thing for me given I met her after her college was over). The amazing thing is that she still owed money after all of that…..

gso packbacker
    Participant

As a parent with kids closer to college than I am to my time in college, I see this increasingly as a business transaction. It’s one where the schools have a lot more leverage than the kids. In the revenue sports the schools get a lot more out of it than the kids. It only seems natural to let them go when it is time to move on.

As a parent with almost 2 of my 3 kids out of college, I’ve come to see it as business transaction for non-athletes as well. Not surprising, but I’ve never heard the term “it felt transactional” used in the positive sense.

tractor57
    Participant

Rye that is the real deal. My friend did the same. But yes it is a business. So as much as I hate UNX I admit many benefited. It is no a zero sum game. There are real issues with the system as there were in the ’70’s. Smart kids who have some other resources made out well (major pro sports contract or no). I cannot be upset with a player who is guaranteed a first round pick and guaranteed millions. I also cannot be upset with the student athlete who earns a degree and makes a good life.

choppack1
    Participant

It always is and should be a business or treated as such.

I actually think most student athletes get a good deal. Where the exploitation exists is when you see kids whose”earning” potential is limited to a scholarship and the free market would yield 5 fold results. Most don’t fall in this category but about half of he big-time football and scholarship recipients fall into this category.

Else, that free education is very much a fair exchange (if not tilted towards the athlete in terms of the cost/ benefit model.

Pack78
    Participant
    Pack1997
    Participant

Good news for the pack. Is he a stud, no but definitely fills a need and appears to be a quality player. Nice pick up for the Pack!

lush
    Participant

So Kapita leaving is a rumor or official? That would be a much bigger blow than GFK. Whats the word on Abu / Yurtseven?

Is this the official roster so far…

G – Johnson, Dorn, Batts, A Freeman
    F – Kirk, Hicks, L Freeman
    C – n/a

That’s not pretty.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Just going to leave this here:

Three players leave UVA in 48 hours

freshmanin83
    Participant

Hopefully whatever attitude problems Mr. Freeman may have had are behind him now.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article145516254.html

choppack1
    Participant

Freeman will help. Hopefully, we will have all hands on deck.

The “scuttle” seem to indicate Yurt7 is a goner and MJ is on the fence.

Probably need to get at least one more for an NIT run next year. (Note: This is all out of KK’s control. Give him time. He deserves it.)

freshmanin83
    Participant

It will help when Coach Keatts snags Brian Bowen away from Arizona.

Pack1997
    Participant

Thomas Allen to Nebraska…..not sure if we even really still wante dhom but he would have been nice form a depth standpoint.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Sam Hunt from NC A&T committed. How many guards does that make for next year?

McCallum
    Participant

I paid my way through school by modeling.

McCallum

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.