The recruiting trail…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball The recruiting trail…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    VEHEMYTH
    Participant

I know most of the kids have already committed to the schools for 2017 but with this last round of coaching changes, some kids are opting out.

First target for coach should be keeping Thomas Allen. That is a given.
    Then go hard after Brian Bowen, he has us on his short list.

I hope K2T2 gets to take a look at Blake Harris, a PG prospect from Word of God (North Carolina), was committed to Washington before coach change.

Also throw our chips in on the Michael Porter Jr. lottery, as soon as he opts out. (junior Jontay Porter, the younger brother of Michael Porter Jr. and son of former Washington assistant coach Michael Porter Sr., announced his decommitment from Washington) Yes he is from Washington but Virginia was on his list which means he is willing to come east. Show us the Money Coach.

That said we should have at least 4 open slots this year right???? Brickhouse, Anya, Smith, and Gottfried departed.

Any one else out there you have been hearing about? or that we may be recruiting.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Thomas Allen is asking for a release from his LOI.

duckfatrules
    Participant

my kid talked to markell and he said he was excited about playing for Keatts next year
    he was sitting with Darius Hicks and Sean Kirk and they agreed that they are looking forward to next year.

choppack1
    Participant

I hate that we are losing Allen. He had good perimeter skills and we could definitely use that with Keatts system.

Rumor has it that Kansas is making a push.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Thomas Allen is asking for a release from his LOI.

Maybe he just wants the opportunity to reevaluate. I would.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I think only three scholarship positions will be open. Coach Keatts had Blake Harris on campus for a visit this week.

ryebread
    Participant

Paki: That stinks… I don’t know why any shooter wouldn’t want to play in this system unless they don’t want to run as much as we will.

redwolf21
    Participant

…Or, he was recruited by Gottfried, who told him he wouldn’t have to put any effort into playing defense. My understanding is that he met with Keatts yesterday, then asked for the release. Curiously, Allen stated afterward that he would still consider State if KK ‘re-offered’. Hmmm…Seems to me, the decision was not made by Allen.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Hmmm…Seems to me, the decision was not made by Allen.

Or he said he wanted to look around, and coach said OK, but we’ll consider that an open scholly.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Maybe he wants to feel the love from the new coach. “I love how you love me”

redwolf21
    Participant

Yep, Paki. That certainly could be the way it went down.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting….There IS a certain Similarity in what GOTT and Keatts said. Gottfried got criticized for NOT have a long and strong bench. Then he beat the bushes and also pulled bunnies out of orifices. There was NOT any plan….but he said he would NOT JUST FILL with a body.

Keatts said basically the SAME thing. That IF he gives a 2017 Scholly, it WILL fit “our mold”. Hopefully, the D in molD stands for Defense. Don’t know MUCH about Allen. BUT if he is just a “Keep Shooting….eventually you will hit your Shot” type of guy, then we do NOT need him. We need some D men and really BAD.

Sure hope that WE do NOT have Henderson’s Scholly to give out. Hopefully, all the paperwork is already at the NCAA to request ONE MORE YEAR.

Pack1997
    Participant

It would be one hell of a start to pick up Harris, Diarra, and Zouzoua. I noticed we are up against Mizzou for all three. They would be great additions and players that will stay multiple years.

Pack78
    Participant

TOS is reporting that Lavar Batts, Jr. commits-good start for K2T2!

freshmanin83
    Participant

Four star point guard that decided not to follow Wade.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Landing Batts was a surprise, right? I’ll take it.

WataugaWolf
    Participant

“4-Star PG Lavar Batts Flips from VCU to NC State” >>> Bleacher Report

“N.C. State hired UNC Wilmington’s Kevin Keatts to replace Mark Gottfried as coach on March 17. Keatts apparently didn’t waste any time pursuing the electric point guard, who ended his prep career at Cabarrus County’s all-time leading public-school scorer with 2,174 points.

“We talked to about three or four different schools,” Batts Sr. told the Independent Tribune Saturday. “Lavar met with a few coaches, trying to figure out what he wanted to do. He had a great meeting with Coach Keatts.”

Batts Jr. is the first player to commit to N.C. State under Keatts.” >>> Independence Tribune

Texpack
    Participant

He’s a four star kid who is the top PG in NC so I’m pretty sure he can play to some degree. I have read somewhere that he isn’t the best shooter in the world. Hopefully he can work on that. If you play “four around one” or “pace and space” you’ve got to have 3 or 4 really good 3 pt shooters.

This is probably more appropriate for it’s own off-season thread, but I have overdosed on the Mike D’Antoni Kool-Aid during the Rockets season this year. You should only shoot lay-ups, 3’s, and free throws. Two point FG’s, other than lay-ups, are horribly inefficient.

Rick
    Keymaster

There is a ton of talent in the state and if Keatts can dominate recruiting here and coach well he could be very successful.
    From what I have read Batts wanted to come to State but Gott never offered.

RTPMedic
    Participant

He’s a four star kid who is the top PG in NC so I’m pretty sure he can play to some degree. I have read somewhere that he isn’t the best shooter in the world. Hopefully he can work on that.

I’m sure he’s a great guy, but that shot is uugglyy.

ryebread
    Participant

This is probably more appropriate for it’s own off-season thread, but I have overdosed on the Mike D’Antoni Kool-Aid during the Rockets season this year. You should only shoot lay-ups, 3’s, and free throws. Two point FG’s, other than lay-ups, are horribly inefficient.

I’ve long thought that this is how I’d coach a team. A shot had better be from the bottom half of the lane or from the 3 point line. There should never bid a mid-range jumper taken. The ball should work inside out with a focus on getting to the free throw line to earn points while the clock is stopped (and foul out the opponent’s players). On defense, a high pressure approach should be used with full, 3/4 and half-court pressing. If forced to play defense in the half court, fall back to a variety of zones (leveraging many of the trapping principles of the presses).

Sound familiar? Hopefully it describes how Keatts’ teams will play.

freshmanin83
    Participant

If you are on the floor you are moving and hustling. 50/50 balls are ours. If there is a rebound find a body to box out and crash the boards. Pressure can make things crack.

Rick
    Keymaster

He’s a four star kid who is the top PG in NC so I’m pretty sure he can play to some degree. I have read somewhere that he isn’t the best shooter in the world. Hopefully he can work on that.

I’m sure he’s a great guy, but that shot is uugglyy.

I haven’t seen his shot but that is one of the easiest things to fix. Anyone can learn to shoot, it just takes good form and repetition.

duckfatrules
    Participant

recruiting, I assume that includes players transferring in and out.
    the other site’s posters are hinting that Kapita and Rowan are not returning stating that their skills do not reflect Keatts style of play. Did Keatts not state at his press conference that he would prefer to play the normal configuration of 2G, 2F and center if he had the players? I dont see how Maverick Rowan does not fit Keatts style. Would Keatts not be smarter to play the style that reflects the players that he has.

In Greek mythology, Procrustes (Prokroustes) or “the stretcher [who hammers out the metal]”, also known as Prokoptas or Damastes “subduer”, was a rogue smith and bandit from Attica who physically attacked people by stretching them or cutting off their legs, so as to force them to fit the size of an iron bed.

Procrustean is thus used to describe situations where different lengths or sizes or properties are fitted to an arbitrary standard.

A Procrustean solution is the undesirable practice of tailoring data, (participants, children) to fit its container or some other preconceived structure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procrustes

Or is the situation that these kids really drank the Gottfreid KoolAid and actually believed in him and loved him and no one can replace him?

MrPlywood
    Participant

the other site’s posters are hinting that Kapita and Rowan are not returning stating that their skills do not reflect Keatts style of play.

Which begs the question – what was Gott’s style of play? IMO there was nothing to hang his hat on, no theme per se. I’d be inclined to give the new guy a chance.

Would Keatts not be smarter to play the style that reflects the players that he has.

You would think.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.