The Irish-Catholics Prepare…But wait…

Home Forums All StateFansNation The Irish-Catholics Prepare…But wait…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    coyotejoe
    Participant

Just talking to my Dad on the phone about Hazel. He was 14 years old, the swamps and roads were flooded here in Ernul (Craven County in case you’re wondering where in the hell Ernul is), and they were using a home made 14′ boat to rescue hogs and move them to higher ground. I’m sure the hogs were happy, until cold weather set in and it was time to make cracklins and sausage.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Do you gentleman think it is in our favor if the field is saturated?

TheCOWDOG

Moot point according to the overnighter. Matthew is a funky, bad boy. Here’s a cool link.

http://www.spaghettimodels.com

choppack1
    Participant

So, in last 48 hours, it’s been dont worry, do worry, prepare for Armageddon, don’t worry…

Hopefully, the state gets nothing more than rain and a little bit of wind and game goes off without a hitch.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^CD spaghettimodels.com is one of my favorite sites on the interwebs. Unabashedly old school, and chock-full of fun stuff. Visit that site every other day during hurricane season, and several times/day when one of these monsters is bearing down.

Wolfgarden
    Participant

No one is going to huff and puff and blow the game away…Hurricane may very well move off east as is now projected. The Matthew scripture thing amuses me..in reality this passage speaks to the immoral condoning world we live in..that is what Jesus meant, the future (which is near) of the fulfillment of these scriptures looks bleak for many, they just do not realize it. But now back to football, a wet field will help us, but rain I am not sure about…I was at the cowbell bowl and we didn’t fair well…of course they did have Dak. We should do well and I love the Pack but the score: 42 to 13 Notre Dame…now I will go and wash my mouth out.

4in12
    Participant

The MET guys are comparing Matthew to Hazel:

matthews-path-similar-hazels

My parents were both from eastern NC (Wayne & Brunswick Counties). Both would refer to a mess as looking “like Hurricane Hazel came through”.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Pre-season hockey ties our hands. You’ve got to be shitting me.

Friday night teevee box games are awful, too. We would rule the roost. Plenty of alternate viewing in the SAT noon slot.

YogiNC
    Participant

looking “like Hurricane Hazel came through”

I’ve never heard anything like that… NOT!!! Growing up I heard the exact same thing repeatedly.

Hugo did the same thing 150 miles to the south of where Hazel came ashore. One side of my family were primarily from 100 miles above Charleston and 70 miles inland and they got hit hard. The Francis Marion National Forest and Sumter National Forest which collectively contain a great deal of lands in South Carolina from Charleston to Georgetown to the Santee Lakes was completely wiped out by Hugo. 10 years later there wasn’t a tree in that forest taller than 20 feet whereas prior to Hugo most trees were at least 100 ft tall. Most areas in the forest could not be accessed for many years after that storm.

My best friend in the Navy had a 30 foot sailboat tied up at the Charleston Marina. It wound up at the bottom of a pile of boats 40 feet high, 150 feet deep and 500 feet long. There were well over 400 boats in the pile. from wikipedia.. As of 2015, Hurricane Hugo is the most intense tropical cyclone to strike the East Coast north of Florida since 1900. When I moved back there in 1993 there were people who still wore t shirts that said “I survived Hugo”

Smarter than the average bear

BJD95
    Keymaster

I was just west of CLT for Hugo. That was…quite the experience.

Follow the lead of your domestic animals. They know what’s up. My cat was outside during Hugo. I yelled at the top of my lungs (and couldn’t hear a peep, that was a bit scary). The eye passed over, dude comes strolling in the house, DRY AS A BONE.

No idea where he rode it out…but muthaflippa knew, for sure.

Adventuroo
    Participant

No offense to the meterological geniuses….and Gregg Fishel is probably one of the geekiest….the ONLY person that knew a cold front was coming and drove from Raleigh towards Siler City after his late broadcast with one of his FINELY TUNED thermometers attached the the car and actually FOUND the leading edge of the cold front….then drove back and forth for a few miles to verify.

He is also, I believe, one of the folks that helped establish our own Department….

BUT…Hurricane’s, like politicians, sometimes do NOT behave as expected and often get called out for capricious actions. I will NOT be convinced until Matthew makes a RIGHT turn and high tails it out to sea…

There ARE some headlines that state that Matthew is TG and that he is going to boycott NC due to HB2 and deprive the storm chasers of their windfall profits….so blame another set of politicians for that….

pakfanistan
    Participant

So what’s the skinny? Are we all going to die on Sat. or what?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Talk about another way the Pack can get blown off the field…………..

now that was funny

BJD95
    Keymaster

So what’s the skinny? Are we all going to die on Sat. or what?

Sounds like not. I am glad I didn’t spring for the $7.98 1-day shipping on the extra flashlight and transistor radio. Which I can keep handy for Gottfried post-game fun, I suppose. One day, the grandkids can marvel at it as a relic of an age gone past, assuming we haven’t been nuked to the stone age, etc.

WOO!!!! My NFL shall not be interrupt.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

the ONLY person that knew a cold front was coming

GOTT to call BS on that one…
    which is no reflection on Greg… I like the Geek and he’s done a great job for years..
    turned the WeatherChannel down to stay in Rawlee, iirc….

But… You just GOTT to see the Big Picture…

Winter hit the upper West last weekend…
    Snowed in Denver on Sunday/Monday….

Wind blowing 10-15mph from the NORTHWEST all day today down here…

Winter > little Matthew…

see ya!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

If the D can mimic that ridge of high pressure turning Matthew around, we win just fine.

For Beej: My 1st transistor radio, circa ’62.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I think they have an ark in Kentucky now, see if they will rent it out for the weekend

YogiNC
    Participant

I think they have an ark in Kentucky now, see if they will rent it out for the weekend

Toucet, THAT was funny! I’m not entirely sure that boat will float, but it would be worth a try if all else failed.

Smarter than the average bear

choppack1
    Participant

Models clarifying this morning and showing more consensus…it is good for nc and us playing football Saturday. not so good for Florida.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Florida just got hit with more bad news. Not only is the forecasted track bringing it BACK….

HRC Campaign did a massive commercial buy on The Weather Channel. These ads will be running non stop. So between worrying about Matthew, you get to watch many political ads.

No word on whether Jim Cantrerre (sp?) will be decked out in HRC Campaign….

Not a spoof….news reports.

Maybe he will show a live shot of a damaged building and there will be a technical glitch with an audio tag…
    “I’M Hillary Clinton and I will support the UN Climate initiative that will stop all future Hurricane’s”. One NBC reporter supposedly said that on the air recently.

Still Scotch Guarding our rain pants…will be part of the soggy 58K in CF.

Khan
    Participant

6z GFS. Roughly 5″ through 78 hrs:

Rain

Khan
    Participant

^ 0z was less. 12z up shortly.

Khan
    Participant

12z about the same. Storm never makes it farther north than the mid-SC coast, but we still get about 5″ of rain.

gso packbacker
    Participant

More specifically, what does the precip look like between 9 am and 5 pm while I am tailgating? 😉

Should I be saying a novena, lighting a candle, doibling down and going to daily mass? Don’t want to unecessarily burn any points I may or may not have with the Big Guy.

TheCOWDOG

More specifically, what does the precip look like between 9 am and 5 pm while I am tailgating? ?

Should I be saying a novena, lighting a candle, doibling down and going to daily mass? Don’t want to unecessarily burn any points I may or may not have with the Big Guy.

I go with a solid Act of Contrition, GSO. It’s short and to the point. I’m always good until I get to the “…avoid the near occasion of sin,” part.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.