State Wins at Syracuse!

Home Forums All StateFansNation State Wins at Syracuse!

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Great win. Great effort….even though it seems that we sort of lost focus a few times. Should be a debate about the quality of the officiating versus the way we played at times. The number of penalties….and especially the severity of them is really not a trademark of a well coached DD team. I am sure that he will have some things to say in the critique.

However, in the end….the team won….and ON THE ROAD. THAT is what is important. I did not always pay attention to all the prattle that the Fox talking heads were spewing. I THINK that we did not have any significant injuries….yes there were some hard hits….but we seemed to be pretty much intact. I started listening to the WPNetwork at the end and just watched the plays.

Really surprised there was NO game thread….did not even look until AFTER the game and saw that ORW and the DTH article was still up and that folks were commenting about that.

There were heroes as many have pointed out. Strategically, Will and Pharaoh (Love that name….used to have an employee with 10 kids and his name was Hercules….) should be CO-MVP’s….but LOTS of others contributed. Sade’s kick-off’s were unbelievable.

As to the OSK rule….I had read or heard that somewhere….Don’t pretend to be an expert and Wiki MAY be wrong….but it seems like a good and concise explanation. Here is it….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onside_kick

I thought that Canada called a pretty gutsy game. We ran two trick plays on the same series….the razzle dazzle pass and the fake punt. Usually a team will only run them sparingly.

The 2 point call was both Gutsy and COOL. The confidence that came from converting it really set the tone for us. It was an emotional or motivational BOOST….which we sorely needed…..(re: our play at the END of Q2).

That seemed to demoralize SU and then the incessant banging of their Frosh QB finally took it’s toll….but he did show flashes of brilliance or we just wanted him to look good for a few plays and get cocky so we could move in for the kill……RIGHT!

Happiness in Raleigh tonight and extreme sadness in Chapel Hill….all the goblins are gone and the ghosts of term papers passed around….like the Sweet Carolines…..are haunting the campus. MAYBE the faculty will be appeased by the poor showing and cut LF some slack. ORW will continue to be bombarded…..the press smells blood and will not, I think, let up. NOW, what the NCAA will do is? That is like trying to figure out what the CDC will do NEXT week regarding Ebola….

Good Night said the Night Man….you can “graduate” any time you like, but your degree will NEVER be worth feces….Even though I do not agree with the reparation attitudes of some of the REAL AFAM students, I DO feel like they are the victims. I think it is time for Joe Cheshire to file a class action suit on their behalf. Can’t you image the Southern Gentlemen Lawyer in his summer seer-sucker suit arguing their case….complete with his presidential seal breifcase? THAT would be something I would pay money to see….

ruffles31
    Keymaster

Any win is a good win. Loved the 3rd down call to Thornton at the end of the game. The albatross is off and the team can relax and play well next week.

TheCOWDOG

Pharaoah McKeaver.That’s fun to say. Anyway,good call by Hux… Zone blitz and McKeaver stayed with his responsibility.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Pharoah showed some good speed on the return, but Dravious was pure hustle getting down there and taking out A.J. Long roundabout the ten yard line. Don’t think Long could have brought the big fella down, but he might have ridden him out of bounds inside the five. Good play by both Dravious and Pharoah.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Dravious Wright’s improvement over the course of the season has been impressive.

Early on, he was always around the play, now he’s around the play making plays.

ryebread
    Participant

CD: You made the comment that I was going to make — the pick 6 was a zone blitz. That was something that I was asking for a few weeks back, along with just overall more aggressive LB play.

I’m not saying the coaches read my posts or anything dumb like that. What I’m saying is that the defense is evolving right before our eyes, at least as it appears to me.

I thought yesterday’s DEFENSIVE game plan was great. Syracuse had piled up some yards on the ground, and flat out ran over us last year. Sure they had some injuries on the line and that probably hurt them, but we also made them that way and made a freshman QB beat us. We were also much more aggressive.

Did the defense play perfectly? No. But their points differential on the day (what they gave up versus what they scored) was 10. We will win an awful lot of games when that happens.

I don’t know what changed starting with about the second half of BC forward, but I like what I’ve seen out of the defense. This is more of what I expected when we hired a defensive coach and paired him with a DC that had put together good defenses elsewhere.

As for the O, well, after that first possession, there really wasn’t much. We need to get 7 as opposed to 3. We couldn’t convert on third down. We couldn’t run. Our trick plays didn’t work. I guess it was improvement that we didn’t try any wildcat, and weren’t telegraphing the snap timing with the jet sweep, but it was still interesting. I will admit that I’m not sold on Canada, and maybe my view of the offense is through that lens.

Oh, and we should give a major thumb’s up to the kickers yesterday. Baumann’s punting has really been our MVP this year, and Sade made some clutch kicks and had some nice kick offs. Nice job guys!

It’s a win, and we’re 1 behind where I thought we’d be right now. The good news is that all three of the last games are winnable. We need to come out of GT injury free, and get that win against WF. UNC looks like it could go either way. I’m not counting us out of GT. I feel like our strength (especially with this more aggressive scheme) plays into their weakness (they really struggle when they can’t control the middle up front on offense). We could win all three, but I’m kind of leaning towards 2-1 at this point.

YogiNC
    Participant

Personally I’d take 1 – 2 if the 1 was unx and we smoke them AND keep them from being bowl eligible.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

Just watched the interview with DD and Pharoah, did anyone else notice that kid kept saying “yes ma’am”? That is a class kid right there. He did come from a rival high school to where I grew up but he is all class to me. I know this defense took a lot of hits during the first half of this season but they are REALLY starting to show up. Still wondered what happened to Moore this week. Those kids are beginning to to gel and they are YOUNG. One or two more positions get filled with backups and such and they could be monsters.

Smarter than the average bear

Texpack
    Participant

Yogi – I noticed the manners as well. Kid was in the library studying, not out in his rented SUV with guns and drugs. He’s quite an athlete based on that return.

TheCOWDOG

You may note that the 42 is morphing into that Bear 46 over the last 2 games, with 8 men in the box.

choppack1
    Participant

We’ll need that Saturday to stop the fb draw on the option.

nav
    Participant

If we throw out last years terrible season from our minds and look at whom we have played this year in the ACC, we really are where we should be. State’s played probably the toughest ACC schedule of any team. FSU, Clemson, L’ville, and a surprisingly good BC.
    I honestly feel that if we were in the joke of the Coastal div, we would be more like 3-2 in the ACC.

john of sparta
    Participant

Old Mac’s blind pig just found an acorn.

Greywolf
    Participant

You may note that the 42 is morphing into that Bear 46 over the last 2 games, with 8 men in the box.

I’m making this up but IMO Doeren (and Hux and our run game coordinator, Nielson) have done a remarkable job putting in the base 4-2-5 and training our mostly young defense to operate inside the principles they are teaching. With the 4-2-5 fundamentally in, we are now installing such as that zone blitz and putting in nuances such as “morphing into that Bear 46.” When the sky was falling and we were blasting Hux and Doeren and anybody else we could think of to include, those guys were “doing it the right way” — installing it methodically and creating what looks like a pretty formidable defense. Those guys are playing “fast” and without having to think. Putting in the pieces too soon would have been a big mistake IMO. Knowing the pieces to put in and doing so in a timely manner with a young defense are 2 different animals.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.