State vs. South Carolina in Charlotte in 2017

Home Forums All StateFansNation State vs. South Carolina in Charlotte in 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

This is excellent news. Beyond this shoring up our recently-weak out of conference scheduling, this — like the planned home-and-home series with West
    [See the full post at: State vs. South Carolina in Charlotte in 2017]

Wufpacker
    Participant

Now we know why Spurrier got out while he still could.
    Bitch be skeered. 😀

Wulfpack
    Participant

It’s about freakin’ time.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Yea! A team you don’t have to Google to know who their mascot is!

tjfoose1
    Participant

why are we continuing to make agreements that have on the road outside the Power 5

Should be done with that, for the most part, at least as long as there are no late changes to the schedule.

At least 2 of the non power 5 away games were due to trying to find replacement games. They wouldn’t go for a single game in Raleigh, so we took a 2-for-1 deal. Two home for one away.

As for ODU, a lot of ACC teams will be playing there. It’s an FBS school plus rich recruiting area. Currently, Wake, u*nc, and Va Tech are on ODU’s future home schedule. I think there are a few more too. ODU also said they’d soon be adding UVA.

john of sparta
    Participant

both teams with new coaches?

BJD95
    Keymaster

SUPER excited for this game. Really wish we could get back to playing the Chickens at least 2-3 times per decade. Great sectional rivalry, with lots of awesome memories.

RedReid
    Participant

I know some don’t agree and we could argue for days about it. I have never understood why we turn our nose at playing ECU. They take football seriously, they’re pretty good, and it put butts in the seats. Play ECU each year and another power 5 and we are set in the non con.

Greywolf
    Participant

I hope this game is at night. The glare off the aluminum will be blinding.

Who’s going to see this wonderful match-up? Cheapest Least expensive tickets in the upper deck will be about $100 with tickets worth a squat will cost about $250.

I hope whoever is financing this game is making plenty of money off the TV rights.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Huh?

Greywolf
    Participant

Huh?

If it is played in the day light with the sun out. Sorry, I forgot where I was posting.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Attendance won’t be an issue, buddy. Day or night. Gamecock fans all over the place. Same for State.

LRM
    Keymaster

Foose explains the return trip to Troy. And the non-conference scheduling will improve by default, simply because from now on we’ll have to play a non-conference Power 5 every year (and as of now ECU doesn’t count). Notre Dame in ’16 and then @Notre Dame and vs USC in ’17, then I believe the WV series begins in ’18?

Carolina and Wake have agreed to play a non-conference series, and I think we should do the same with Duke.

tjfoose1
    Participant

MS State is also on the schedule.

Why I didn’t see the justification for all the whining. It was a issue that arose not through design that had already been resolved.

Everyone here is knowledgeable enough to understand schedules are made years in advance.

LRM
    Keymaster

Scheduling is by nature quirky and dynamic — especially for a lower-tier Power 5 wanting home-and-home agreements but top-tier and rising programs preferring seven home games and no road games against non-marquee opponents (this is so important because financials continue to show that only a handful of programs manage to merely break even on operational expenses from gameday-related revenues).

To be fair, I think much of the frustration (especially by LTR folks) has been at the extent of it. Tennessee (2012) and (at that time) Cincinnati (2010-11) are the only scheduled non-conference Power 5s we’ve played since South Carolina in 2009, and my understanding is that the several who backed out over the years — LSU, Tennessee, Oklahoma State — were able to easily do so because of poorly-structured agreements with little financial penalty. I’m more confident now that’s not the case with WV and Mississipi State.

It’s also why Virginia’s scheduling over the past decade is so impressive (and apparently wildly questionable). They’ve had home-and-homes with Oregon, USC, UCLA and BYU.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Good points. Make sense, especially considering the LTR costs and the benchmarking against UVA.

LRM
    Keymaster

My Virignia example was extreme — I’m pretty sure they lost all of those games, plus Boise State this year. There’s a happy (organ attic) medium that we’ve hopefully found with South Carolina, WV and Mississippi State.

Greywolf
    Participant

“Attendance won’t be an issue, buddy. Day or night. Gamecock fans all over the place. Same for State.”

With ticket prices ranging from $100 to $250 I wouldn’t be so sure.

Fastback68
    Participant

USC vs UNC was 70% of capacity. What I wouldn’t give to see a financial breakdown of that one event or for a single Panthers game. They are now charging $5.75 for a bottle of Mountain Dew and I can’t even keep the cap. Well Played Jerry, the drink holders are oversized so soda and water bottles routinely fall out and drain without caps requiring a cap less replacement.

Jerry, you do realize there are certain price levels for tickets and food & beverage that stymie demand. I would buy 4-5 beers at $3 a clip but none at $9. I volunteered to work at my kid’s high school concessions last Friday night and spoke with a lady who has worked at the Panther’s stadium for years. Each of those beer stations average $14,000 in pure profit per game.

In any event, I will gladly buy tickets to this game and there is no doubt State will have a better showing for our 50% of the allotment then those tools to the West. Just another myth, unx’ers are all so rich but can’t afford $100-$250 tickets in Charlotte where they all seem to live.

13OT
    Participant

It’s time for everyone’s least favorite LTR fan to chime in.

First and foremost, this is probably good for the NCSU football program, considering how long it’s seemingly been since we played a decent OOC opponent. OK so far.

Second, but not of minor importance, however, is the fact that we have invested all this effort and money into fuh-cility upgrades, but we seem to be more interested in playing our key OOC games in distant cities. I remember Alabama and Ohio State coming here, but honestly, I can’t remember ANYBODY from a Power Five conference visiting C-F in the past ten or more seasons. I sold my tickets this season because I’m tired of the OOC teams we bring in from distant places we’ve seldom heard of. We haven’t met Duke, in what, 5 or 6 seasons now? But we can play South Alabama and ODU multiple times over the same period, and even on the road.

I probably won’t go to the Charlotte game, although I’ve been to many of our games there, and I did enjoy them. But I’ve spent enough of my money in Charlotte, thank you.

I guess my problem with this is that we need to be bringing teams like the Gamecocks into C-F instead of meeting them on a distant field, which should be a bowl game and not a regular-season game. The cost of these “neutral” field games for the average fan is pretty steep, and the corporates usually get the good seats.

My big problem with this “new and improved” ACC is that the new ACC teams like BC and Syracuse have been forced onto our annual schedule and are not EVER going to be true rivals. I just don’t see how we can establish any kind of a rivalry playing SC or anyone else in Charlotte or Atlanta. I agree with playing SC; we should do that every year, home and away, or we should re-establish the Maryland game annually if that’s no feasible. I think it’s especially important that we develop an OOC home-and-away rivalry in light of the ACC killing our rivalries with Duke, UVA and GT, as well as not allowing us to develop sure-fire rivalries with VT and Miami.

Bring ’em to Raleigh, not to Charlotte and Atlanta.

LRM
    Keymaster

I don’t support any plan where we play Maryland again ever in any sport.

My buddy makes a fine argument for Maryland having single-handedly prevented us from becoming more than a mid-tier program.

There havent been many marquee series for us in a while. The Alabama series was 20 years ago. And other than Ohio State — off the top of my head — the past 25 years our non-con Power 5 series have included South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Indiana, Baylor, Louisville, Pitt, Cincinnati, Texas Tech, and South Florida (2008), with a one-time game at Texas and neutral site games vs Iowa and Tennessee.

The Belk agreement is with South Carolina — this seems to be the only way we’re going to play them, so it makes sense to me.

We’ve done a good job improving our nonconference scheduling over the next decade. I fully support adding Duke as a nonconference home-and-home like Carolina is doing with Wake.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Football game this weekend vs. Wake Forest. Ready for a new blog, the usc game blog has been around long enough. No new news????

john of sparta
    Participant

football non-con or con: doesn’t matter.
    Pack should (needs to) play UNX, Dook, and WFU EVER(Y) DAMN YEAR.
    get rid of South-Egypt-Tech. play ECU by God and Greyhound.
    All the Time.

RedReid
    Participant

I was in full support of the 9 game conference schedule. I agree with playing ND, but it still doesn’t keep you from playing 9. If we played 9, this convo dies by 25%. I can’t figure out why all these conferences expanded,the number of games increased from 11 to 12, yet we still play 8 conference games. Dumb.

FergusWolf
    Participant

RedReid…

Depends on your definition of dumb…most of the GOOD Power 5 conference teams take advantage of the extra game to schedule another home game, meaning that most of them play 8 home games.

Take a team with a big stadium (75,000 seats), at $50 per seat (probably low), is $3.75 mil/game, plus whatever you make on parking and concessions.

If their were an additional conference game, then you would only get that $3.75 mil every other year, so basically, you are giving almost $2 mil away.

For some reason, we saw this as a way to go visit the likes of ODU and some directional school I can’t remember. (I know, visiting ODU is going get allow us to recruit the next Tory Holt and Phillip Rivers), so I assume the master of our schedule believe their will be a high $ payoff.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.