State Unveils All-Black Uniforms for Old Dominion

Home Forums All StateFansNation State Unveils All-Black Uniforms for Old Dominion

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    JackWolf
    Keymaster

All-black has been the rage for several years (although lately the trend seems to be all-white, which in LRM’s opinion has always been our sharpest lo
    [See the full post at: State Unveils All-Black Uniforms for Old Dominion]

Wufpacker
    Participant

Speaking as an old fart who generally tends more toward the traditional, who agrees with LRM about the all white (though I like red on white the best)…

These are pretty damned sharp.

Texpack
    Participant

The solid red helmet on the golf cart that was pictured on the front page earlier this week will always be my favorite.

If you’re going to do the black uniforms, why do you do them for the game that is only on ESPN3? Do you do that to minimize exposure?

I’m not a fan of the uniform gimmicks. I’d rather win seven in a row to generate attention.

redcanine
    Participant

Get loose, from the noose. #1 with a bullet I’m a POWER PACK!

Greywolf
    Participant

These unis are hot! I’m sorry the professional “old farts” don’t like them. Their loss.

13OT
    Participant

Identity crisis….

blpack
    Participant

I think they will look great under the lights and I’m old school.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I think they should paint the field solid black and encourage the fans to do a “black out.” The opposing fans would never know what hit them. Literally. And for the record, I like the uniforms. Even more, I like that the team likes the uniforms.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Black Power!

/raises fist

LRM
    Keymaster

If I’m honest, with each new gimmick, the further away I feel away my youth.

That, and every time we wear black all I can think of is the Damon Thornton BS technical at Maryland in 2000 that started our disastrous 8-game slide and started the vicious in-fighting over HWSNBN.

Maybe that’s not fair, because the kids now wouldn’t even remember any of that.

But I endured the 90s. I don’t want to be fair.

Fastback68
    Participant

The only thing I know about ODU is that they took my Pringles and I want blood in return. Red on black will do just fine.

tractor57
    Participant

To me this uni looks like it belongs in “Rollerball” besides not being the school colors. Obviously I am an old fart. At this point I want a team that can string together some wins. Yesterday was an ok start being first game and against a motivated opponent. GS has a long history of producing solid teams.

Pack85EE
    Participant

I’m an old fart but love the uniforms. I also love what it does for recruiting. If we ever move up to where we are consistantly big time, like Va Tech did, then we may not need to do this but for now, I love that we are using to our advantage.

eas
    Participant

I like them (well I could do without the red scratch marks and wolf eyes). Overall though I like the look of all black very much. I also like the all Red look as well.

I guess I’m the odd ball out with the fact I’ve never cared much for the all White uniforms. I do prefer the traditional/old school look vs the Oregon style usually. However, the all Black uniforms are OK in my book. Would I like them in all black with a tad more traditional look? Sure but I’m old now and if it makes a splash (we need all the help we can get these days) I’m game.

If we win and do it with authority then I would be happy with Rainbow colors for all I care.

Either way, I like the all black.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It really makes no difference to me.

Pack92
    Participant

Lose the red on the helmet. The carbon black effect with the block-S would be awesome on its own. The flat black helmet Stanford uses with the red S is my case and point. Simple and classic though different. The red just seems to add some type of UMD Ringling Bros afterthought nonesense.

The rest of the uniform is sweet IMHO.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I kinda liked the helmet that was thrown out a couple of years ago available here.

Wufpacker
    Participant

At least they don’t have pink numbers/lettering this time.

13OT
    Participant

I can’t speak for other Wolfpackers who are in their 60s, but to me the black uniforms are more of a fad than they are tradition, and tradition is a big thing with us long-time fans. What is wrong with us wearing the red and white?

Yes, the uniforms look snazzy, but they aren’t OUR traditional colors. They never will BE our traditional colors.

If we had been winning all these past years since Sheridan departed, you would not see this attempt to blot out these unpleasant years with a new look (color). And make no mistake about it, that’s what this is about. Erase the memories of the past 25 years.

What we really need is a new direction, not a new color. We might be wearing black this Saturday and every Saturday this fall, but unless something drastic happens over the course of this season, it’ll be the same old story- a big-budget school in a power conference, trying to move up into the elite class, but struggling just to get past mid-major schools and stay out of the conference cellar.

Wolfman 9806
    Participant

I really don’t care about the unis anymore. Just win some games!

mhcstatefan
    Participant

I hope this team proves me wrong but I think they are wearing the new black uniforms for the ODU game because it will be the only evening home game this season. I wish they would save them for a bigger night game but I don’t think we will get the TV time for that.

tjfoose1
    Participant

At least they don’t have pink numbers/lettering this time.

But but but… that IS old old school. Pink is an original school color. I know… Let’s go total old school tradition, 19th century style, and come out with pink and brown unis! That’ll make a statement! 🙂

What we really need is a new direction, not a new color.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…. I heard the same thing in the 1890’s when the whipper snappers changed us to red and white.

I think they should paint the field solid black and encourage the fans to do a “black out.” The opposing fans would never know what hit them.

That gave me flashbacks to high school. Jack Holley coached Wallace-Rose Hill (where Nate Irving roamed during his high school days) used a dimly lit filed and all black uni’s with a life sized brown football logo across the center front of their jerseys. Those suckers ran a T-formation, mis-direction, multi-option offense with each back who did not have the actual ball coming through the line cradling the logo. Later rule changes eventually prohibited it, but as an opposing LB, it certainly did add an lil something to their offense. Sneaky SOBs!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… haven’t we had this $STATEMENT and conservation BEFORE ???

I know some of you guys are Civil War Buffs… and in a similar fashion, other’s just keep repeating themselves here and elsewhere hoping that the outcome will be different this time… That probably won’t happen… guys.

That said….

If we’re going BLACK… go ALL THE WAY…
    field, fans and it damn well ought to be a NIGHT GAME so turn the lights down to pre-TV levels… and don’t forget to paint the BALL BLACK too…

Bottom Line is… as others have said…
    Just Win the Damn Game…. gimmicks or not….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Just Win the Damn Game…

Have you forgotten the fan base whence you cheer? Since when has just winning been good enough?

Greywolf
    Participant

I have already stated I like the new alternate uniform. I like it so much I would like to see what it would look like in red and maybe in white as well. We could wear that not helmet with the red as well.

Alternate uniforms are a fact of life for pro hockey teams needing revenue. Revenue comes from the sale of team jerseys. NCSU is not a pro hockey team but I wouldn’t be surprised if revenue had something to do with the decision.

Here are some questions (Q), facetious though they might be, found in some preceding comments for which answers might be useful or enlightening. There are also a few statements (S) both misleading and false that have been addressed.

Q. If you’re going to do the black uniforms, why do you do them for the game that is only on ESPN3? Do you do that to minimize exposure?
    A. Debbie Yow, Deoren’s boss, told him to wear them for a game we were going to win. I’m not sure there is one but this is close enough. Why would we do this for broad TV exposure when the recruits we want to see them will see them? While TV exposure is important for the school, there is no real point in TV exposure for the uniform.

Q. …tradition is a big thing with us long-time fans. What is wrong with us wearing the red and white?
    A. Nothing wrong with us wearing the red and white. We longtime fans should wear red and white. The recruits and players like the cutting edge black alternate uniform. Adidas probably likes being able to show case a hot, new look and perhaps get some new business. The happier our uniform supplier is the better off we are.

S. I can’t speak for other Wolfpackers who are in their 60s,
    A. Then you should stop trying.

S. but to me the black uniforms are more of a fad than they are tradition… <snip> Yes, the uniforms look snazzy, but they aren’t OUR traditional colors. They never will BE our traditional colors.
    A. They are neither fad nor tradition nor traditional colors. They are an ALTERNATE uniform. (Perhaps you should inform yourself of the facts before spouting off.)

S. And make no mistake about it, that’s what this is about. Erase the memories of the past 25 years.
    A. Even Fowler wasn’t stupid enough to think this. This is a recruiting tool. The proof of the pudding is in the eating – the excitement of our players and recruits here this weekend makes it abundantly clear this is a good move. The uniforms alone will not sway recruits but they will help keep us from being eliminated from consideration by those who like a jazzy uniform.

S. We might be wearing black this Saturday and every Saturday this fall,
    A. Not likely. We will be wearing the ALTERNATE uniforms 2 times out of 12 and maybe a 3rd time in a bowl.

S. but unless something drastic happens over the course of this season, it’ll be the same old story- a big-budget school in a power conference, trying to move up into the elite class,
    A. Not sure what the point is about something drastic happening BUT what most State fans want is for us to move up into the elite class. That is the goal of our Chancellor, our AD and all our coaches. The current freshman class and some new recruits are talking it up as well. As far as something drastic happening over the course of this season, most observers of football know is often takes more than 2 seasons to cause a climb to the status of elite.

13OT, I think you have revealed your true colors. You speak like you don’t want us to do the things necessary to move up into the elite class. If you can’t lead or follow, please sir, get out of the way.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.