State outscored 35-52 in second half

Home Forums All StateFansNation State outscored 35-52 in second half

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

[See the full post at: State outscored 35-52 in second half]

Wulfpack
    Participant

I said earlier in the week that our defense seemed to have improved. But we got shredded yetserday against a team with less depth than us. And we didn’t even rebound well with better bigs. Very well done by Duke. Allen and Ingram were the real deal. Way too many lapses for the Pack to keep pace.

choppack1
    Participant

Duke got some good looks on the first half – they just missed them. In the second half they stopped missing them and we had a 5 minute span where we stopped moving offensively and were taking bad shots.

I love V – and he is the best coach we have had since Everett Case – but Coach K had started building his empire while V was here. The difference between Coach K and V is that Coach K – like Dean Smith before him just wanted to coach basketball. Valvano, OTOH, used his celebrity to host a nightly talk show and became AD. In short, he was a much more complex man than K or Dean. This is why we missed the tourney in 84, and had to win the Acc tournament in 87 to get a bid. However, there was definitely evidence that was focusing more on the basketball side of things when he was forced out.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yes, V was a true Renaissance man. Overextended himself, and his sins were of omission rather than commission. Still, I love him for being exactly who he was, and wouldn’t change a thing.

choppack1
    Participant

Nope bjd – that’s who the man was and it wasn’t right to fit him into a template that wasn’t him, IMHO, it probably would have made him not as good a coach.

Say this about v though, we always had a backup pg and usually had plenty of depth…different game then.

Rick
    Keymaster

Half time adjustments. I said at the half we have to adjust to K’s half time adjustments. We didn’t.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Coach Rat came out of the locker room at the half…
    and went right at ABU….

took about two minutes before ABU committed his third foul…

that was the game changer…
    on both ends of the court…

then Rat just sat back and watched things run their course…
    ’cause everybody knew we did not have an answer…

In the postgame…. Coach GOTT said he told ABU that he didn’t care how many fouls he had … if he (ABU) wasn’t going to play aggressive he wasn’t going to play…

————

The other thing that caught up with us yesterday was that it is way too much to ask of Anthony to run the offense from the PG, get his twenty AND play 32-36 minutes of solid Defense on kids like Grayson Allen…

We GOTT no answer for that either…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Texpack
    Participant

One team had shooters and the other team did not. We must start recruiting shooters at all 5 spots

travelwolf
    Participant

It was pretty clear to me that in the 2nd half, Cat was not the same. Neither was the Martin twin that twisted his ankle. If you didn’t notice the difference in their play, then you don’t understand basketball.

It doesn’t help that Duke has several people who can light it up from beyond the three – one that’s over 6’11”.

We’ve seen 2 halves of basketball that were played excellently in the last 2 games. Eventually, we’ll be able to have them in the same game.

The other thing that we need to do is to get the ball down low. We had the advantage there, but didn’t capitalize on it.

Don’t forget that we’ve beaten them 3 of 4 times at home – so that’s pretty amazing.

Patience.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Per ESPN: “Anthony “Cat” Barber scored 19 points to lead N.C. State, though he didn’t score after banging knees with a Duke player with about 14 1/2 minutes left.”

That speaks to Cat’s importance and State’s lack of depth. He wasn’t a threat anymore.

State lost the lead, but as was pointed out in the game, the shooting “normalized”, or rather Dook started shooting the lights out. Almost 71% in the half. A combo of poor D an their increased aggressiveness. The game was still tied at 56 until Matt Jones hit a 3 at 10:57 to go. Dook scored 10 unanswered in that stretch, hole dug.

As I recall, State went into a shell and forgot what had worked offensively in the 1st half. They did get the ball low a few times, but couldn’t finish or even get a decent shot off. I find that very frustrating.

The game stats are very similar AFA percentage, boards, TOs etc. but Dook hit 2 more 3s and 6 more FTs. I think the big guys need to seriously consider shooting FTs underhanded. As Dan Patrick said the other day, you might get laughed at at first, but they’re laughing now. When you start making FTs, they’ll stop laughing.

mak4dpak
    Participant

If our bigs can gain some confidence, when they get the ball and won’t be afraid to drive to the basket, instead of looking for someone to pass to, we could be much more successful, so here is hoping that changes, and Henderson is back soon. We can still salvage this season, though it looks bad, it is possible. But starts Wednesday vs. GT. We have had our chances to win every game we lost.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Henderson is back soon.

Unless you have heard something different, he’s not back until mid February, and that’s best case.

brqan925
    Participant

I’m surprised that someone who’s paid attention to basketball for 30+ years would put the lower score first.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.