South Florida game thread (12/13)

Home Forums StateFans Basketball South Florida game thread (12/13)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Abu needs to stop with the 15 footers.

CC: Cat Barber

Wufpacker
    Participant

I missed most of the Panthers today (fortunately, I also missed most of the weekly Ravens’ ass kicking).

Wufpacker
    Participant

“A better shot selection decision maker”

How to commentate with as many words as can possibly fit because the game itself is totes sucky.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Keep feeding Mav….dude needs to get in a rhythm eventually.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Cody doesn’t miss the finger roll.
    Things are looking up.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Nice tackle, Mav.
    DD is calling…pick up da fone.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

BOOM! Handle our business in our first true road game… not 30 point win as I’d have hoped, but it was never in doubt which I’ll take. Wish we’d have gotten the frosh Mav more involved after it was well in hand.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I missed most of the Panthers today

You did not miss much. Disposed of the Dirty Birds in very short order. Cam continued his MVP run wihout breaking a sweat. Defense was its usual stingey self. This squad is a monster of a team. Having to pinch myself every week.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I completely forgot we were playing. Sounds like RedZone was the better option anyway.

Texpack
    Participant

If you want another glimpse of how bad we are just watch UH dismantling LSU

BJD95
    Keymaster

If you want another glimpse of how bad we are just watch UH dismantling LSU

Yeah, LSU’s results since playing us have been very less than heartening. All things back up the eye test assessment of what we are, and I don’t see how that changes without Henderson back. Not having a second guard is a fatal flaw.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Anyone giving us any credit for playing strong D today? Or just dismissing it as a terrible opponent? Or just not caring either way? I am thinking (hoping) we are a different team since we played LSU. Frenchy certainly getting stronger on both ends and Cat starting to hit from outside. We definitely have a hole without Henderson, but we have gotten better without him all the same.

xphoenix87

There’s not a ton you can learn from a game like this, but a 20 point win on the road is a good thing, crappy opponent or not. It’s easy to say “well, they were garbage, of course we should’ve done this,” but you still have to do it, and a mark of a good team is that they blow out bad teams. We had our only 2 shooters go a combined 2-20 (on mostly pretty good looks), and still won by 20. That’s a good sign.

Thoughts:
    – Good confidence builder game for Beejay. He’s always been really agile for his size, and actually has pretty good form on his hook shot, but he rushes things in the post and doesn’t have great hands. With a little more confidence in his post game, I think he can at least be someone you have to guard, which, combined with his defense, makes him a great asset.
    – Not a good shooting day for Abu, and I’d still like to see him more balanced and composed when he goes up for a shot, but he was relentless on the glass. Generally speaking, good things happen when he is attacking the rim. I would like to see more P&R with him and Cat, since he’s so deadly if he gets a free roll to the rim.
    – Good defensive effort, particularly fighting through screens. Also, after some initial problems early in the game our bigs did a better job than usual of not being jumpy and contesting without fouling.
    – I’m a little worried about what the coaching staff seems to be doing with Cat. Look, I love Cat Barber and he’s obviously the reason we have a chance at being good. He’s far from a perfect player though, and his shot selection leaves something to be desired. Based on what I’m seeing from him, particularly early in the game, it seems like he’s being encouraged to take jumpers. Now, I would certainly like to see him be more confident in his jumper, but I want him to do it by taking good shots, not by taking forced 18 footers with 25 seconds lefts on the shot clock. He’s so explosive and creative going to the rim, I just want to always see him probe that before settling for a mid-range shot.
    – In games we’re up by 20 on a crappy team, I want to see our non-Cat lineup. We’re going to have to use that lineup at some point in the ACC season, and I want it to have as much practice as possible. Also, I’m not really worried about him getting tired (especially in this game, after they were off for a week), but it would be pretty terrible if he suffered a major injury in a complete blowout.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“I’m a little worried about what the coaching staff seems to be doing with Cat” – I don’t understand how/why he plays 40 minutes when we have a 20 point half time lead. At least give him 2-3 minutes near the end of the first half. I’m afraid he will be mentally exhausted by February.
    Before I ever saw this team play (and before the Henderson inury) I really thought this team could win 10-12 ACC games. Now I’m thinking 5-7 could be a more realistic target. Ugh.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

“I’m a little worried about what the coaching staff seems to be doing with Cat” – I don’t understand how/why he plays 40 minutes when we have a 20 point half time lead. At least give him 2-3 minutes near the end of the first half. I’m afraid he will be mentally exhausted by February.
    Before I ever saw this team play (and before the Henderson inury) I really thought this team could win 10-12 ACC games. Now I’m thinking 5-7 could be a more realistic target. Ugh.

Once we hit the grind of the schedule in the ACC, I just dont know where are points are going to be coming from outside of Barber.

tractor57
    Participant

That is the question every year for most all ACC teams. As the competition grows the where becomes more important. At this point I see the same model as we have seen with Gott. Slow start, team improves and makes it to the NCAA tourney. Maybe one day more but that is the history. Those that don’t like the routine I remind of Lowe, that other guy and Les.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

That is the question every year for most all ACC teams. As the competition grows the where becomes more important. At this point I see the same model as we have seen with Gott. Slow start, team improves and makes it to the NCAA tourney. Maybe one day more but that is the history. Those that don’t like the routine I remind of Lowe, that other guy and Les.

Les was a good coach (x and o’s) and did the best with what he could. Sid should never have been hired in the first place so both are not remotely comparable IMO.

If this is Gott ball, living life on the bubble then that simply is not good enough. It just isnt. We have been on the bubble 4 out of 5 years now and at some point it needs to become unacceptable. But who are we kidding here, Gott is here for as long as Yow is and 2019 is when a new AD comes in and they typically want to do their own hiring. So as a Pack fan we must continue to just suck it up and wait for that proverbial “next year”.

I get the sweet 16 talk and accomplishment I really do, but at some point he is going to have to finish in the upper tier of the conference to do any damage in the ACC tourney. The extra games now for the lower seeds creates an unrealistic disadvantage as you go further in the weekend. I may be out of my mind and an old timer but I would much rather see us make some deep runs (finals etc) in ACC tourney and maybe win it then a sweet 16. I know others put more emphasis on the NCAA but I think we just need a title in something to get the monkey off our back and Gotts teams/style/method simply isnt going to do that.

choppack1
    Participant

You lost me at “Les was a good coach.”

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I guess good is relative. But I am not going to knock the man for not winning in an impossible situation. The limitations he had placed on the program would make it hard for anyone.

Sid should never have been hired. He looked like he should be chopping barbecue at Wilburs during games. Sweaty and had absolutely no clue what was going on.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You lost me at “Les was a good coach.”

+1

choppack1
    Participant

Unfortunately, We agree on Sidney.

Les was put in a difficult situation but I believe he was in over his head from a program management standpoint.

Gott is obviously in a much better situation than Les and we can’t complain about the results thus far. At some point, and hopefully soon, we will start seeing a top 16 NCAA seed and top 4 acc finishes.

tractor57
    Participant

Chop all onboard with your view. To me Les took one for the team but he was not up to the job. In some ways Lowe as well. No comment on the other guy. Gott has been better although maybe not the program savior to lead us to the promised land. To this point I am good with him.

Rick
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, We agree on Sidney.

Les was put in a difficult situation but I believe he was in over his head from a program management standpoint.

Gott is obviously in a much better situation than Les and we can’t complain about the results thus far. At some point, and hopefully soon, we will start seeing a top 16 NCAA seed and top 4 acc finishes.

Hope is all we have. There is little reason to believe we make that jump. Until Gott decides defense is important and can get his team playing well early we will be living the bubble life.

Wufpacker
    Participant

FWIW, we’ll never know if Les was in over his head in managing the program as he was never permitted to do so. To be certain, whether he knew it going in or not, Les took a huge bullet for NCSU and its reputation. On a level “playing field” I could see Les having comparable results to Gott.

Great coach? No, probably not. But not as bad as he gets blame for either IMHO.

Smartest thing he ever did was get the hell out of Raleigh. Too bad he couldn’t punch Todd Turner in the vag on his way out of town.

44rules
    Participant

Wufpacker +1+1+1+1 etc.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.