So whats the deal?

Home Forums All StateFansNation So whats the deal?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Had a lot of regulars register over at PFN but more discussion appears to be happening over here now that SFN back up.

Should I go ahead and shut down PFN? SFN forum software is dated and somewhat feature lacking, but I’m not trying to split this one of a kind community. Leave it up for now in case SFN is down for a fortnight again?

I’ve got no probs to take down the other site, probably want to do it sooner rather than later if that’s the case.

Really, at the end of the day, I’m just trying to maintain a place in which I can absorb the rantings of that prude moralist, McCallum.

McCallum
    Participant

Watch your mouth fancy pants or I’ll hit you on that big nose of yours.

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

SFN is not folding. Doldrums, perhaps, but it was a technical glitch that put it out of commission.
    Fresh air is coming.

McCallum
    Participant

I’ll go where the women are cold, the beer is hot and they serve pickled eggs.

McCallum

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Probably a little more than a glitch right? Two whole weeks? lol I figured the servers caught fire and melted or something.

Watch your mouth fancy pants or I’ll hit you on that big nose of yours.

McCallum

Yes! Yes!

highstick
    Participant

Is it possible to move the current SFN to PFN and change the name over there? I understand technology gets dated so there may be more valid reasons to do so if you’ve hit “the brick wall” with the current SFN platform. I’d certainly hate to lose the archives, but you guys know more about the tech side than I do.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

44rules
    Participant

That would be cool. I’m not on the “in,” so I didn’t even know there was another site. Just thought this one had gone kaput.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

McCallum
    Participant

Another site?

I might as well go back to watching CSPAN.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

I might wager a fiver but this is filled with problems.

ryebread
    Participant

The NC State online sports community is fragmented enough. The last thing we need is another site, and I would hate to see this group disband over a failed migration.

Not sure why the forums here have so many technical gaps. I ran UBB software for years with very little effort. It is highly customizable and has all the features that any forum really needs.

In reality though, this site has been on life support since BJD left. If I gets consolidated, then so be it. I’d suggest migrating to 247 as that is the only semi-functional posting community.

44rules
    Participant

Yeah, Rye, this is the only one I post to, although I read BTP, and there’s some Facebook forum I’m in. Might have posted there once or twice. On the good side of things, with this site’s decline, I have wasted a lot less time at work on Wolfpack sports!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ryebread
    Participant

I post mostly here and a little on 247. If we all moved to 247, I would post more often there. I see some people on here over there.

I too read BTP, as I think that is currently the best “coverage” for NC State sports online. They seem to have picked up the analytics slant that this site used to have. The forums there are worse than here though.

Henderson’s break out to IPS has seemingly (from the outside) hurt both him and 247. Maybe he’s making a living on the premium/subscription side, but the place seems dead on the free side. The site he left (247) seems to have taken a short term hit, has some reduced participation, but is still the most active NC State sports forum.

This is part of why I think this whole thing really needs to consolidate, and why I won’t be going over to Troll’s site. I appreciate Troll’s efforts to hold this community together, but it’s dead due to lack of content and posts. We just need more critical mass of posters in one spot and more idea exchange. If this site has to die in order for it to happen, then so be it. The political debates really killed this place, and ran off a lot of posters.

Fastback68
    Participant

I enjoy the sheer volume of topics on 247. I simply avoid threads/politics with ease which appears to be a rare talent for the masses. It also allows members to visit other school sites for information. IMO, PP puts most other school sites to shame with regards to participation. SFN seems like the new season of Archer. A little underwhelming currently, with Wee Baby Seamus unavailable to boot.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Summer doldrums, sure I get it, but this summer is about the worst I’ve seen it. This community seems to be dying and has quite obviously been neglected by the owners. That assertion would seem to be bolstered by the fact that while SFN was down for two weeks due to a “glitch”, it appeared the SFN owners hadn’t even realize it until a full week went by & were asked about it on the Twitters.

That being said, there’s definitely still a general interest in this specific community as I’ve seen quite a few of the regulars sign up over at PFN (including a few SFN moderators). The problem now is lack of participation. For now I’m trying to drive that content creation aspect (i.e. new topics) over at PFN to start generating some participation and I’m starting to see some traction. At the end of the day, the PFN software is head and shoulders above SFN while still maintaining that de-cluttered and simplistic look and feel. It’s also easy to use and has an owner who cares about keeping the community afloat and the site running smoothly.

And let me say having SFN members switch over to Packpride, or 247, or whatever it is these days, sounds like an awful idea. Perhaps I’m biased, but the SFN users seem to post (when they do post) much higher quality content within the discussions than over at PP.

44rules
    Participant

Don’t think I’ve ever gone to PP. Think I heard it costs money, and being a poor writer, that, like Kate Upton, is out of my league. I’ve seen some political crap over at BTP, but it’s easy to avoid. Don’t think I’ve really gone to 247 except when I’ve seen a link or two here or at BTP or from Facebook.

Fastback68
    Participant

Well you don’t have to break my arm. I’ll go anywhere to avoid looking at Kevin O’leary. Bald headed ——-. But I want lady pics, angel dust and a pfn bourbon tasting and NO rainbow humpers. And I want to get banned here first. I got kicked out of arrowhead stadium once but never off the internet. Make it happen.

McCallum
    Participant

I can’t use 247 because they banned me in 2003 for not being in love with Israel.

In fact, I have been banned from nearly every message board possible except http://www.festivamadness.com

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

Oh. You keep that sh#t up and I’ll ban your ass here, too, Mac.

If I get around to it.

highstick
    Participant

Don’t think I’ve ever gone to PP. Think I heard it costs money, and being a poor writer, that, like Kate Upton, is out of my league. I’ve seen some political crap over at BTP, but it’s easy to avoid. Don’t think I’ve really gone to 247 except when I’ve seen a link or two here or at BTP or from Facebook.

You don’t want to go to PP. I went over there to keep track of what was going on with the UnCheats situation because this site went absolutely dead on up to date factual info. Now, with that being said, PP is full of a bunch of nutcases and I’ve deleted my link recently. I’m not a fan of 247 because of the constant barrage of advertising/popups, etc. I’m hoping we can keep this group together, I’m not sure how to do it. I’m open to anything reasonable.

highstick
    Participant

You don’t want to go to PP. I went over there to keep track of what was going on with the UnCheats situation because this site went absolutely dead on up to date factual info. Now, with that being said, PP is full of a bunch of nutcases and I’ve deleted my link recently. I’m not a fan of 247 because of the constant barrage of advertising/popups, etc. I’m hoping we can keep this group together, I’m not sure how to do it. I’m open to anything reasonable.

Summer doldrums, sure I get it, but this summer is about the worst I’ve seen it. This community seems to be dying and has quite obviously been neglected by the owners. That assertion would seem to be bolstered by the fact that while SFN was down for two weeks due to a “glitch”, it appeared the SFN owners hadn’t even realize it until a full week went by & were asked about it on the Twitters.

That being said, there’s definitely still a general interest in this specific community as I’ve seen quite a few of the regulars sign up over at PFN (including a few SFN moderators). The problem now is lack of participation. For now I’m trying to drive that content creation aspect (i.e. new topics) over at PFN to start generating some participation and I’m starting to see some traction. At the end of the day, the PFN software is head and shoulders above SFN while still maintaining that de-cluttered and simplistic look and feel. It’s also easy to use and has an owner who cares about keeping the community afloat and the site running smoothly.

And let me say having SFN members switch over to Packpride, or 247, or whatever it is these days, sounds like an awful idea. Perhaps I’m biased, but the SFN users seem to post (when they do post) much higher quality content within the discussions than over at PP.

I plead guilty cause I didn’t know it was down at all, but I have been very busy…which in itself, is difficult, for someone who is supposed to be retired.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t know what is going on with this site, but I’ve pretty much considered it all but dead. The last post on the main page was made nearly three months ago. When I hear of big NCSU related news, I come here to check the reaction. And lately, there isn’t even a discussion started. If I need to go elsewhere, just let me know where to go.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Forgive me if I’m being naive. But isn’t it quiet simply because it is May and basketball and football are over and baseball isn’t necessarily America’s past time anymore? The NBA playoffs are in full swing and I’m glued to that. Then I’ll turn my attention to the World Cup.

Sure, folks have called for the poll on the front page to be updated (and it seems like it finally was), but I’ve always felt those two major revenue sports were what sparked the most discussion. I figured I’d check in from time to time this summer for recruiting news and then join the discussion in earnest in the fall.

I also know less than than nothing about baseball, in general. Don’t hate me. I do like going to the batting cages near me, however.

44rules
    Participant

Nah, Wolfwiz, I don’t think it’s ever been this dead since I discovered the site during the last days of the HWSNBN debate.

tractor57
    Participant

I agree with 44 – been really quiet of late. Of course we come here for information and informed opinions. I’m thinking the outage has had some effect but since the days of the “epic thread” a lot has been lost. I guess we need an outside force to unite us – like the boys over at the hump on the dump.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I guess we need an outside force to unite us

Calling, BJD. Wanted man. If any of you are in touch with him let him know I’d like a word.

I reckon the little PFN experiment will continue for now since it’s slowly gaining traction. I aim to keep the topics fresh over there and this community is welcome to come and help shape it. Best of all we can make it our site.. I’m open to feedback and suggestions.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.