Show Us Where the Bad Howard's Rock Touched You Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Show Us Where the Bad Howard's Rock Touched You Game Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 301 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

I dedicate this song to all of us who dared to dream a dream during this game (and this is intentionally pre-fame Susan Boyle; here’s to becoming post-fame…well, maybe not Susan Boyle, but you get the point)

And just in case you’ve never looked at the lyrics closely, or even listened to this song, it is quite apt if you read through them.

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
    When hope was high and life worth living
    I dreamed that love would never die
    I prayed that God would be forgiving

Then I was young and unafraid
    And dreams were made and used and wasted
    There was no ransom to be paid
    No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
    With their voices soft as thunder
    As they tear your hopes apart
    And they turn your dreams to shame

Still I dream he’d come to me
    And we would live the years together
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I’m living
    So different now from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

Adventuroo
    Participant

NO kicks 52 Yarder. Panthers lose. Rookie comes through….but he IS paid more than Bamburg….

Need to start a Thread…..copying Roy Cooper’s latest Ad….

Paraphrasing….”Where does NCSU (FB) go from here…..?” Ole’ Roy’s got a plan….have we?

Actually, I am very pleased with what we did. Disappointed YES. Pleased and PROUD, Hades YES….

Doeren said it all yesterday in his two brief remarks….

I’m Emotional now and you aren’t going to get a lot to write about

We were 41 & 0 the last time we played down here. Today, we were in a position to win against the Number 3 team in the USA and we took it to OT. That is progress…..

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ No doubt that’s progress. This wasn’t barely losing to Wake or a middle-of-the-road team. That was taking it to a top team on their turf on homecoming with a rabid crowd in your ear and doing more than enough to win the game. Yeah, there were mistakes, but Clemson is the team that feels lucky to be on the winning end. Had State won, they would have earned it.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Ole’ Roy’s got a plan….have we?

yeah his plan is to let men in the women’s bathroom and cheer them on.. (and THIS is how threads get derailed lol.. in my defense i do have “Troll” right there in my handle)

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Today, we were in a position to win against the Number 3 team in the USA and we took it to OT. That is progress…..

definitely nothing from the peanut gallery (aka myself) on Dave with exception of the pass play down there on that last drive in regulation. He HAS to build on this game. Play EVERY game left on the schedule just as physical AND taper back the penalties. Show us something.. we have a pretty tough schedule to close out.. BC and Syracuse should be wins (before season I figured we’d split there.. now I think 2-0) and at least another win with the rest of the schedule (preferably against the Cheats) and I’m a happy camper. Then I won’t have to spar with Greywolf by the flagpole after school and we can be butt buddies, if he’ll allow it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Adventuroo wrote:

Ole’ Roy’s got a plan….have we?

yeah his plan is…

BEAT the SH$T out of Coach K && DOOK this season!!!

(This is really how threads get hijacked…. Troll is NOT in my username…)

He [Coach DD] HAS to build on this game. Play EVERY game left on the schedule just as physical AND taper back the penalties. Show us something..

NOT A DOUBT in my mind…. THIS is exactly what’s going on….

(your thread is back on track… hijackers have disappeared…)

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Well, at LEAST we gotta little respect….Look at the “Others receiving votes” for each of the polls.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Looks like if you beat ND, you get automatic votes….reference Stanford.

Speaking of ND, wonder if NBC is giving rebates to sponsors like the other networks are to the NFL sponsors for “low viewer ratings or poor ratings?

High Nooner for NCSU vs. Louisville on ABC this Saturday.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… so I’m watching, like some of ya’ll, the Battle of the Birds out in Seattle.

and…

Last Play: 4th & Goal at ATL 10
    (11:30 / 4th) S.Hauschka 29 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-N.Frese, Holder-J.Ryan.

First missed FG by Hauschka this season…

I guess he’ll have a 10am meeting with Pete Carroll tomorrow… for some counseling…

If so… he should bring Richard Sherman…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Apparently… Hauschka and Sherman have redeemed themselves…

SeaHawks win the ugly way…

Next week… Phillip Rivers gets to visit the Falcons in Hotlana…

Heelh8r
    Participant

No doubt these national noon games on ABC are getting us some recognition, Roo, and we have taken advantage of it with the much talked about hurricane win and the showing at Clemson. Now we have another huge opportunity at Louisville where a W will most likely get us to the Promised Land(Top25).

I have learned to mostly keep my opinions to myself on here because resistance is futile. But for those who are faulting Coaches time management and play calling on the last drive like it is a fact, it was text book and was what any coach with half a brain in college or the NFL would have done. Leave no time on the clock for them to score. Try a pass to see if you can get an easy TD but eat it if it is not there. Put the ball in the middle of the field for an easy field goal. It was perfect game management.

What’s that you say? Not with our kicker? Wrong again. We have a good kicker. He hit a 48 yarder with plenty to spare against WF. He kicked a 38 yarder out of the slop last week against ND. Yes, he has not been consistent and it is obviously mental, but you still put him in that situation and expect him to make it. But some you make and some you don’t. That is the life of a kicker. The Panthers missed a XP today(30yds), and BotB noted Hauschka misses. But you play the percentages and we made the right calls. We just came up short. Keep playing like we are playing and clean up the mistakes, and we are on our way to where we are trying to get.

saigonwolf
    Participant

Totally concur with Heelh8r…

GPS shows a nut located at the following coordinates:

38°12’21″N, 85°45’32″W

I’ve decided to share my knowledge of the location of this nut, given the performance of our team this past Saturday.

Go get it Dave.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Clemson wasn’t nearly perfect, nor were we, and we had a shot to win. Credit to the staff for putting us in a position to win, more credit to the players for playing their rears off and competing and coming up with some timely plays. But I’m picky, and I think our staff didn’t execute a perfect gameplan. We killed their run game when Gallman went down, and d-line dominated the line, which was essential. We were still lucky we avoided the big pass play because we were beat long multiple times.

Coaches can learn something from this one.

1. GO WITH WHO BRUNG YA. Trickery and deception has its place, but not at the end of the game when you’re dominating the line of scrimmage. Shove it down their throats. The throw and kick decision on 2nd down at a minute looked panicked and not well conceived. Not the first time we’ve seen this, and young coaches make mistakes. Made zero sense outside of hoping to catch them off guard. A 6-7 minute drive, mostly on the ground, you’re down to a minute and have 2 timeouts. Line up and put the ball in the hands of Dayes or Samuels. Dayes didn’t touch it enough in the first half and was fresh. You kick on third at the earliest with that much time and 2 TOs.

2. Side-to-side lateral football against speed doesn’t work. We didn’t smash them enough early. Vertical passing game still isn’t where it needs to be, and this is partly because outside of Harmon, we don’t seem to have much of a deep threat. Our very accurate QB still occasionally floats the ball too much in middle of the field and on outs. We also didn’t exploit matchups against Boulware in the passing game enough. He’s weak in coverage.

3. As much as the decision to throw in regulation on first down and kick on second bothered me, the last series of the first half on defense bothered me more. We didn’t bring much pressure until Clemson got to our 30-yard line, then Hux decided to blitz, and we put them in a bind. Then on 4th and long, we brought nothing, and Watson burned us. Pressure kept us in the game. Aside from the opening second half pick-6, an anomaly, dropping into coverage was a disaster all day on obvious pass downs. Front 4 dominated run game but really only got some pressure only a few times that disrupted throws. When we dropped, Watson ate us up.

4. Defense played their tales off, but having ends cross or stunt inside on third and longs was just plain dumb. We lost containment multiple times for this reason, and consequently Watson extended drives.

choppack1
    Participant

Regarding clock management at the end of the game – it was damn close to perfect. It would have been perfect if we had a stronger kicking game.

Unfortunately, we don’t and the staff knew that going in. We had budgeted time and time outs to seek a td. It’s definitely a close call as to what to do. Still, if you have a kid that you know is struggling, that’s a tough position to put him in and you probably need to throw the percentages out the window. (Because from the % pov, it was probably the right call.) But percentages are relative – and there was no way to create that cauldron he was facing Saturday afternoon.

I hope Bambard can overcome this. If you have played sports you know what an awful feeling it is when you have a moment and let it slip away.

Greywolf
    Participant

Then I won’t have to spar with Greywolf by the flagpole after school and we can be butt buddies, if he’ll allow it.

Pretty weak admission you were wrong about the defense but it seems you’ve seen the light. 🙂

Regarding clock management at the end of the game – it was damn close to perfect. It would have been perfect if we had a stronger kicking game.

Ny thoughts exactly.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Pretty weak admission you were wrong about the defense but it seems you’ve seen the light.

Are you sure you’re not a 8 year old who found grand pappy’s laptop open? Because you sound a lot like an 8 year old.

Greywolf
    Participant

Are you sure you’re not a 8 year old who found grand pappy’s laptop open? Because you sound a lot like an 8 year old.

Pot,

If I was an 8 year old, I would have thought Clemson was going to hang 50 on our defense.

Have a nice day,

Kettle

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

last word

Viewing 17 posts - 301 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.