Raleigh Regional Preview (sort of)

Home Forums All StateFansNation Raleigh Regional Preview (sort of)

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 486 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

@ Gowolves.

Dude, post it again. I will tell you that there may have been a chance ( 1% ) that you got caught in a crossfire with my very first, post deletion.

One of our good peeps requested self-immolation, and I may have turned two, when there was already “2 outs” don’t know.

Avent can bring’em here, no question, and they play well when left to play. Like Wolfanatic, I think our yard is just fine. I will take the liberty to help with his memory, some. We actually had 12 rows of aluminum down each line, but I can’t remember how many behind the plate. I wish the outfield fences had been chain link. They weren’t, as testament, cedar splinters in my ribs and back had a tendency to rise to the surface, for several years after my service. It was just an old,slat,snow fence. 🙁

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Catchers don’t get close to the outfield fence…..other than when they jack one…

Gowolves
    Participant

CD, thanks for the heads up.

Too long to post again but essentially I am grossly tired of the fire him talk. He has made the NCAA something like 11 out of last 13 post seasons. Yeah I will admit his decision making at times leaves a head scratch but he has done well and like you said he brings them in. I like it that he goes against the grain at times. I think the players like to play for him. People don’t realize or forgot that the team was down two starting pitchers going into the post season. When things don’t work out we hear this same old tune, let’s fire him. I just don’t understand.

You have to understand baseball and the second guessing that will always occur when a decision doesn’t work but that doesn’t mean he has to go.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I wouldn’t can him, and I rarely see a game where there’s at least a handful of bench calls or mound visits and decisions that piss me off. I’m come to anticipate them and am no longer surprised by some of the moves. He’s to be credited for luring some really strong talent. There were years when I coached and was more in tune with nc high school baseball when I didn’t think he and his staff effectively scouted nc talent. I still think that’s the case. But I’m impressed with what he’s assembled from nc recently. How well we pitch and catch next year will determine our success. We’ll be fine in the field and at the plate.

Gowolves
    Participant

I wouldn’t can him, and I rarely see a game where there’s at least a handful of bench calls or mound visits and decisions that piss me off.

At least a hand full? That’s a lot in a nine inning stretch. I will give you the benefit of the doubt for two reasons. One you are trying to make a point and secondly you have more experience in the game than I do. You are not calling for his removal but you can’t deny he has had some pretty good success here. You know the game of baseball is fraught with second guessing, It’s a rite of passage.

This is not directed at you. The game lends itself to “what ifs”. When the manager makes his decision he lives and dies with it. If it works the accolades go to the player if it doesn’t it’s the mangers fault for the decision. I agreed with you the other night when the pitchers were being yanked pretty quickly. As it turned out, it worked. I realize he wasn’t there because of his suspension but I am confident he had his strategy voiced to his coaches.

Ultimately Avent has earned his stripes here. He came into a situation when Tanner left and fans were not happy. He has done a great job dealing with that. I think part of the attitude and chip he has is because of the environment he came in to.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^I’m not really exaggerating to make a point. When you win, it masks some of the deficiencies. My general critique of Avent as a manager (and this is strictly fromm the pov of an observer who has very little inside scoop) is that there’s no real baseball philosophy at work. This leads to the ever constant knee-jerk decision making, the willie-nillie bench calls, mound visits, and pointless tirades, not to mention the constant lineup or batting order shuffling for what appears to be no good reason.

On the one hand, I like that Avent plays hunches. But when you always appear to pluck a decision out of your rear, it catches up to you. I think some of the best college managers play the percentages, but they also have a real feel for their players, team, and situations, and know from experience when to deviate from the odds play. Ultimately, I think that’s what separates Avent from being good to great. I think the kids like Avent. He appears to be a “player’s coach.” That aint’t always a recipe for greatness.

ryebread
    Participant

A post of mine from yesterday disappeared when I added in some links to show the Doak against other stadiums. From what I can see, we’re on par with UNC Charlotte and ECU, but trail UVA, UNC, FSU, Miami, Louisville, Florida, LSU, etc.. Maybe a mod can recover that post because a picture is worth 1000 words.

I am not making excuses, nor am I saying that one has to have facilities to win. What I think is that facilities are a proxy for budget/money, and budget/money does win in college sports.

I say this because if our stadium is a proxy for our baseball budget (and I don’t really know), it would suggest we’re punching above our weight. I don’t think Avent is perfect but I’m fine with the results given what we are seemingly paying.

Now, if someone came back and told me our baseball budget was higher than FSU, Miami, Louisville, UVA and UNC’s, then you might change my opinion. Not that my opinion really matters……..

Classof89
    Participant

I say this because if our stadium is a proxy for our baseball budget (and I don’t really know), it would suggest we’re punching above our weight. I don’t think Avent is perfect but I’m fine with the results given what we are seemingly paying.

But there’s a difference between capital funds and operating funds, right? I think Yow has said pretty of times that her philosophy has been to give the program what they need to win (full scholarship allotments, recruiting and travel $$, asst. coach salaries) before putting a higher level of expectations. If indeed the lack of capital investment is also indicative of low operating budget as you say, then that would probably explain why she didn’t fire him the day after the regional ended.

Gowolves
    Participant

I just don’t understand all this complaining. Maybe Avent could have been better in certain spots. Some of his decisions have been head scratchers, but this is baseball. Everything decision is questioned if it turns against you. Some of you act like it so easy and obvious. Sometimes he goes against the odds and tries to think outside of the box. I don’t mind that. He is passionate about his teams. I don’t know if he will lead us to a championship but he has done pretty darn well. Don’t forget the Pack was down TWO starting pitchers going into the regionals. You can’t discount that.

If we had lost in the next round people would be bitching. If people don’t have something to complain about they are not happy. I think Avent deserves to stay as long as he wants provided he continues at this rate and every so often (1 out 3 or 4 years) makes it to the super regionals. The NCAA every year is almost a given. 15 out 21 times to the NCAA is not bad. Thy only missed out on the tournament twice in thirteen years.

Rick
    Keymaster

A post of mine from yesterday disappeared when I added in some links to show the Doak against other stadiums. From what I can see, we’re on par with UNC Charlotte and ECU, but trail UVA, UNC, FSU, Miami, Louisville, Florida, LSU, etc.. Maybe a mod can recover that post because a picture is worth 1000 words

It was in the spam folder. I reported it as “not spam” but am not sure it was loaded.

Since I saw a few other spam posts in their from a while back it appears links can trigger the spam filter.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Rye…Just saw your post back on page 17 of this thread…It did finally post… Excellent post…nice pictures. Indeed, we are behind all of those schools despite the limited progress we have made. And thanks to CD for aiding my warped memory, which is more warped than I thought. Truthfully, I have not set foot in our yard since 1976. So many factors go into the decision of where you want to play ball if you’re wanted by numerous schools. When it comes to the yard, I can see some weighing that factor more heavily than others – as in a power hitting leftie would probably choose FSU with the short porch and high fence in right. Does it hurt our product? Maybe, but not significantly I believe.

ryebread
    Participant

Rick: No worries. The post was there, but then I went back to add in linked pictures so people could see with their own eyes and draw their own conclusions. When the links got added it disappeared, so I was sure it was just a SPAM filter. 🙂

If many like me don’t follow baseball closely, they may not really understand the current state of our “peers” relative to the Doak. Doing that quick search exercise was eye opening. Yeah, the Doak’s improved from when I was a student, but it’s still behind from what I can tell. Some of those stadiums seem better than the Durham Bulls Athletics park (e.g. LSU).

I don’t know the answer to this, but are baseball scholarships even full rides? For the longest time they were partials. If they’re still partials at State are they full rides elsewhere? I think it’d be very difficult to recruit if one school offered full scholarships and another only offered partials.

TheCOWDOG

A) Like everyone else, State has 15 schols to do anything they want to with.

B) We don’t have a George Steinbrenner to build a yard like Boshamer, at UNx. We don’t have a Louisville Papa John, either.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

CD, quit being cheap and write Debbie a check for the necessary upgrade.

TheCOWDOG

Palmiero, and Knizner in the 7th to Os and Cards, respectively.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Was just coming to say that very same thing.
    Glad to keep Presto in the family, so to speak.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Close to where cd predicted he’d sign. Will be an interesting decision. I didn’t look at their other picks, and I don’t know what kind of demands they have, but I’m Not sure he can really improve on that significantly. I’m guessing he goes.

ryebread
    Participant

CD: That’s kind of my point. Our program doesn’t seemingly have big cash behind it, yet we’re doing pretty well. If the budget is as it seems, then I’m happy with the results.

Thanks for the info on the scholarships. Equal footing there it seems.

BJD95
    Keymaster

REALLY excited about the Kninzer pick. Been a great draft by my Most Glorious el beisbol Cardinals, except for that Hole in the 3rd…

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Will Gilbert Round 8 #232 to Oakland A’s

Wufpacker
    Participant

Congratulations Weeeel!!!!

Gowolves
    Participant

I don’t like that playing surface in Lubbuck,TX.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Ditto.
    Can’t believe ECU is a base hit away from Omaha. Sheeesh.

Wufpacker
    Participant

That was a generous strike call I must say.
    Sorry not sorry, PieRats.

Gowolves
    Participant

I missed that. Had to walk the pups. The pie rats are tough hate to say.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 486 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.