Post Election – Exit Poll…

Home Forums All StateFansNation Post Election – Exit Poll…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m was kinda surprised that there wasn’t at least one Topic regarding the Election yesterday on SFN…
    But I am also not the only one here… who appreciated the respect and courtesy of the “Silence”…

I am curious about one thing… and without going polemic…
    Let me know what you really think…

BOTB’s NC Exit Poll…

Judging by the results of yesterday’s North Carolina Elections, did the People of North Carolina as a whole speak…
    1. To Reject what was perceived as the greater of two evils…
    2. To Endorse of the Policies and Programs of the Winners…

or…. There was no clear “message” from the People and…
    3. The results reflected the deep seated attitudes of those voting regarding human rights ( women, race, sexual-orientation, immigration )…

or….
    4. None of the above. The outcome was determined by who did the best job of getting their supporters to the polls, who spent the most money, who did the best job of pointing out their opponents evils.

Thanks….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Personal opinion, it wasn’t exactly a rejection or endorsement of anyone’s policies.

Obama is deeply unpopular in North Carolina, and the GOP did a particularly good job of tying Hagan to him.

Couple that with the fact that the right is especially riled because they think Obama is destroying America or whatever, and the left wasn’t particular motivated to support Obama or his policies because they see him as a continuation of the policies of the previous president.

Also, I’d have to double check, but I believe turnout is typically lower for democrats in non-presidential election years.

pakfanistan
    Participant

It is deeply, deeply, amusing that the crowd that hates government involvement, ‘wealth transfer’, etc. elected a guy who voted to allow the use of eminent domain for private use. Just, wow…..

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Paky… I’m counting that as #3… unless you object…

Let me state clearly… that in no ways… should it be construed or implied that #3 was your reason for the voting choices you may or may have made.

pakfanistan
    Participant

^Paky… I’m counting that as #3… unless you object…

Nah, no objection from me. I thought it might fit into category 3, but I wasn’t entirely sure what you meant.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks… you ain’t hard to get along with, anyways…

For others… The Exit Poll… does NOT ask… “why did you vote the way you voted?” … and really doesn’t care…
    The focus on what might be reflective of the 2.7 Million People who did vote as a whole.

MP
    Participant

“4”

Texpack
    Participant

I am so glad I live in Texas where the Legislature only meets for 90 days every other year. They don’t have time to meddle when they have to get a budget done for the next two years. You should try it in North Carolina.

Fastback68
    Participant

My mind tells me the Hagan/Tillis TV commercials nightmare is over but my DVR inventory just won’t let it go for several more months.

Bill, I don’t know the answer. Elections come and go and seats change hands. The turtle says America is unhappy with the current administration but I’ve been unhappy with politicians for decades. You still Gotta vote.

Pack78
    Participant

BOTB-I think it’s a ‘4’ above-govmint is constantly defining ‘problems’ and then mandating solutions that invariably make things worse. After all, we are talking about politics which is derived from ‘poly’ meaning many and ‘ticks’ meaning small blood-sucking arachnids…

pakfanistan
    Participant

I am so glad I live in Texas where the Legislature only meets for 90 days every other year. They don’t have time to meddle when they have to get a budget done for the next two years. You should try it in North Carolina.

Not sure Texas is an example we want to follow…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if this will help bill or not….but how many times in the last 10 years have you been excited to vote for a candidate? For me the answer is “not many”.

Generally, I end up voting for what I perceive is the lesser of two evils. Counting mid-term elections, this is the fourth time that I’ve voted against Obama.

pakfanistan
    Participant

You vote for the lesser of two evils, and think the guy who said half of America is too lazy to work was the lesser?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Reminder… for our purposes herein…. we’re looking for insight into “the Voice of the People”… not individuals… That said… I fully understand the two are not totally inseparable…

Phrases like … “the lesser of” or “the greater of” .. to put it in terms the Quantum Physicist, perhaps, would use… is representative of a “construct”… not the “fundamental” variable in the cause and effect equation.

I am looking to get down to the fundamentals.

All of Ya’ll are doing good … keep it up!

JasonP
    Participant

Keeping in mind only a minority of eligible voters exercise their right…

There is a percentage of voters who vote Party

There is another %age that vote policy, and policy ranges from social issues to fiscal, intl relations, etc.

Then there are those, and I’m convinced this is the majority of voters – that vote for/against a name. The movie Distinguished Gentleman lampooned this, but it’s the only reason I can come up with when faced with such a disparate bunch of candidates and issues get elected in like what happened yesterday in NC.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Off Topic… fwiw … Serious Studies have shown for years that there is NO statistical difference in election returns where the margin of victory was equal to 2% or better between those who voted… and those who didn’t… which is to say those who did not vote, if they did vote, would have voted in a way that was not statistically different from those who did.

So the VOTERS do represent the Voice of a majority of the People and the will of ALL the People.

Voting “for” or “against” a “name” is a poorer, more meaningless versions of “the greater or the lesser of two evils”… Tells us nothing.

Wulfpack
    Participant

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t know what happened and am too depressed to try to figure it all out. I wouldn’t be so bummed had Hagan lost to a good, worthy candidate. She didn’t run a good campaign this time, though (and would presumably had lost to a ham sandwich had it been on the ballot). This is what happens when you don’t have a functioning state party, despite being a fairly moderate state.

freshmanin83
    Participant

The people said please stop the policies of President Obama.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… BJD refers succinctly to the legacy of Tulip-lips… under whose ‘leadership’ the decline of moderate Progressiveism started. Yesterday’s election was, in this respect, a mirror image of how divided we are these days… That same decline underlies many of the comments above.

Unfortunately there’s appears to be reversal in sight… Does anyone really think Mr. Tillis will represent all of North Carolina?? Odds are he’ll follow both Ms. Dole and Ms. Hagan and vote like he’s told to… 95% of the time.

That said… our Exit Poll results so far are proving useful…. Keep ’em coming…

packplantpath
    Participant

My take is that no matter what you believe, half the country thinks you are wrong. We no longer vote for politicians or candidates or ideas. We vote teams. Team red vs team blue. In fact, there is tons of evidence that once a person votes for a candidate they lose their impartiality regarding the candidate. They now have skin in the game and can’t afford to be wrong.

Me? I don’t vote except in primaries or small local elections. By the time it is a statewide or state representative election the wrong candidate is already running. My primary ballot selections are a who’s who of principled losers instead of unscrupulous winners.

Look at the pikeville malt beverage results. 115 for, 117 against. HAH!

BJD95
    Keymaster

I always voted for Richard Stevens when he was my R state senator. He worked hard, was professional and courteous, respected on both sides of the aisle, and was a fair representative of the district’s real concerns. I liked that model, someone who proves they can do a good job should be retained regardless of label.

When he retired, he was replaced by someone who voted with the far right leadership 99% of the time, and is generally unpleasant. The Dem candidate was a fast food cashier who raised no money at all. I would have voted Libertarian, but there wasn’t one (or even a line so I could write-in one of my cats).

This is the new world. Assloads of dark money on each side, no meaningful choice other than generic “Team Red” or “Team Blue.” So you will see Dems do well in Presidential turnout years, get slaughtered otherwise. Lather, rinse, repeat. Works for the consultants and the fundraisers, who get stinking rich.

I will still vote as a civic duty, but I haven’t donated any money since 2008 and pretty sure that’s it until I die.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In fact, there is tons of evidence that once a person votes for a candidate they lose their impartiality regarding the candidate

Begging the question… “Is it possible to be truly impartial regarding political candidates at all… before or after, whether you vote for one or don’t?”

Then it’s generally true that historically… political campaigns have rarely, if ever, encouraged “impartiality”.

I Like Ike!
    Why?
    Idk…
    I just Like Ike.

Ya’ll all know what happens when people try to mix reason and emotion in persuasive arguments.

“Like” and “hate” are two more of those “constructs”… the fundamental element is the specific thing that generates the emotion.. and that’s what we are looking for here is fundamental elements…

Keep on digging…

packplantpath
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>packplantpath wrote:</div>
    In fact, there is tons of evidence that once a person votes for a candidate they lose their impartiality regarding the candidate

Begging the question… “Is it possible to be truly impartial regarding political candidates at all… before or after, whether you vote for one or don’t?”

Something like 60% (this falls into the 99th percentile of statistics that are made up on the spot, regardless it is a high percentage) of those who vote always(or almost always) vote for one party. Impartiality on their part is very rare. The remaining voters are the swing voters. Evidence suggests that these voters can be impartial until they cast their vote. Then it is very hard for them to critically judge the candidate. Oddly enough, these swing voters seem to vote for the person instead of the party and retain the ability to recognize failings of the party of their candidate even when they generally find it very hard to criticise the candidate they voted for and recognize their failings.

Couple this with the fact that we are almost as likely to inherit our families politics as their hair color and it makes me even more skeptical of elections.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I believe that “freshmanin83” solidly drove the nail into the plank.The pummeling of the Democrat candidates by their counterparts was a repudiation of the Obama administration, its policies and its lack of transparency.

The Republicans seized upon the President’s lack of popularity, and his low approval ratings, by aligning Democrat candidates with him, and painting them as the tentacles of the giant cephalopod in Washington. Those that were portrayed as such were summarily dispatched. Hagan in NC, Christ in FL, and Grimes in KY were just a few that were fatally linked to to the political ebola. Very few Democrats wanted, or requested, Obama to stump for them, fearing the potentially fatal contact with the current administration.

From his heavy-handed wealth redistribution, increased taxes, and his belief in “equality of results” to Benghazi, the IRS scam, Operation Fast and Furious, and Obamacare, voters made it very transparent that they no longer wish to tolerate the perceived motives behind Obama’s lies and deviousness. The $2500.00 savings per year under Obamacare and the “if you like your doctor / insurance, you can keep it under Obamacare, were exposed as flagrant outright lies.

The Democrats insouciant attitude towards the elections, as evidenced by their poor turnout at the polls, left the door wide open for the Republicans to walk in and expunge the legislature and numerous state capitols of the political virus that has drawn their ire for six years.

No, this wasn’t so much the rejection of the Democratic Party as it were, but more importantly, it was the rejection of the left wing extremism of the President, his agenda, his administration, and those that would march in step with him. The Republicans were simply more motivated to exercise their civic duty than the Democrats were, and thus, many Democrat candidates were forced to walk the plank.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.