Playing Swoffball

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Playing Swoffball

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

NCSU finally won a close game last night and I am glad the team has not given up. I wish I could say the same. The ACC was great in the 80s when nearly every team was good. When any team could win on any given night. When the playing field was level. Now that the ACC has vested so much into the Duke/UNC game (you know the oft ballyhooed “greatest rivalry in sports”) it has really hurt the league. Everything is about those two schools and no one wants to watch any other team play (except maybe their own fans). I used to watch every ACC basketball game on TV but this year I have only watched NCSU games and not even all of those. I used to know every player on every team now I only know NCSU, Duke and UNC but only because the announcers talk about the UNC and Duke players during our game. Part of the blame rests on the schools as they have to actually be good but there are other reasons as well. The defensive grabbing and mugging style of play many of the teams have adopted is boring but the obvious ref bias is what really hurts the league. The head of the ACC has publicly admitted to this bias. When the WWE is less predictable than college basketball you have a problem. Call it bias, call it tendencies, call it a conspiracy. Whatever you want to call it, it has to stop. The referees should call the game they are watching not what they expect and they should be held publicly accountable for their performance.

As for the ACC, Swoff added teams to get the league to 15 and it was obviously a basketball move (unless SU is an undiscovered football powerhouse). What are the results of Swofford’s brilliance? Four (out of the 15) ACC teams are a lock for the tournament Duke, UNC, UVA and SU with Pitt fading and no other school appears likely to make it. The move to add more teams is looking pretty sorry right now especially since football drives revenue.

It is time for The Swoff to go. His job should be results driven and his results are poor. Other leagues have passed us both in football and basketball but at least we still have the “greatest rivarly in sports” right?

tjfoose1
    Participant

What he said.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

His job should be results driven and his results are poor.

But which results do you judge him by?

Swoff didn’t make anyone hire Lowe, Bzdelik, Doherty or anyone else. When basketball schools like UMD and NCSU suck, how is that Swoff’s fault?

Swoff’s biggest responsibilities are financial ones. Considering how badly ACC football has always been and how far the basketball programs have fallen, it’s going to be difficult to prove that he left money on the table with ABC/ESPN (or that there were better options).

Swoff cherry-picked the Big East apart and only lost Maryland. By all of the reports that I’ve seen, every expansion has led to bigger TV contracts and more money per school. (Do you really think that the 9-team ACC would be financially viable today? I sure don’t.) The ACC is still here, while the BE has split and become C-USA on steroids.

There have been some rumblings about nepotism with the Raycom contract…but I don’t have any data to say that there were legitimate options other than Raycom for the games that ESPN doesn’t want.

Now that the ACC has vested so much into the Duke/UNC game

Is this Swoff or ESPN/Vitale?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It’s a really simple equation…

E$pin loves Dick because a lot yankees and other people who stay inside all winter and who watch a lot of basketball love Dick..

Dick loves Coach Rat
    because Coach Rat helped out Coach V ( who Dick loved first ) when he was sick…
    and ’cause they’re all yankees..

Now… Boeheim and ‘Cuse have pushed the Holes out of their top spot…
    and next will be Patino and Da’Ville to move in…

’cause those yankees are gonna stick together…

And yes, we might be in better position if we had a yankee coach whose last name ended in a vowel but who really knows for sure… we did the next best thing and GOTT a coach who used to work for E$pin…

Meanwhile everybody from E$pin to the beloved Baptists at little Wake Forest, including us, is crying about how those yankees ruined our basketball, all the way to the bank….

Swofford ain’t stupid, he’s just a TarHole.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Swoff isn’t going anywhere. He is widely respected amongst his peers and member institutions.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It is time for The Swoff to go.

How do you propose making that happen?

The ACC has never been a football conference. Yet FSU just trumped the almighty SEC with a Heisman winning freshman QB and won it all. Clemson is now back to being a top 10 program. It isn’t Swoff’s fault that everyone else can’t get out of their own way. There is zero correlation there. You think he wants everyone else to stink?

And you mention nothing of the addition of Louisville next year. Lest I remind you they cut the nets down last year. And they happen to be pretty good at football too. That was quite the grab, that makes geographical sense, too.

I get that some don’t care for change. But change in this new NCAA landscape is inevitable. In fact, it is necessary for survival.

The ACC was in a perilous position not long ago. But you have to give Swoff credit for changing the tide and ensuring the conference’s survival. We’re all financially better off for it, too. We only lost Maryland. Big deal. We gained a lot.

Way too much “pity NC State” and blame on this blog. Other schools are finding ways to have success. It is possible.

tractor57
    Participant

^ +1

pakfanistan
    Participant

^^+1

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would like to invite John Swofford to have sex with himself. Because, as far as I’m concerned…that’s something he can go do.

Rick
    Keymaster

I would like to invite John Swofford to have sex with himself. Because, as far as I’m concerned…that’s something he can go do.

He has certainly had past sex with the ACC.

budfox88
    Participant

^^If that weren’t so true it would be funny as HE777777!!! Swoffsniff didn’t make the acc expansion decions by himself, as I’m sure they weren’t original ideas either. I’m not saying he’s a dumba$$ either but this is an expand and survive ncaa environment now, so everyone’s doing the same thing. I too have grown tired of getting ripped off in key basketball matchups by the unofficials, and there seems to be no end and no solution in sight, and it wrecks SEASONS for us. As I see it, in the real world, problems like this are never resolved under tyrannical dictatorships until a movement so huge is created that sheds so much light as to confirm any and all bias and suspicions…and someone has to do something about it. There is an opportunity now, coupling the ref bias with academic fraud and AFRAM studies or whatever the he77 at u-n-see, and the subsequent ncaa non-investigation and complimentary chapel he77 “nothing to see here” M.O. Not to incite or provoke, but why couldn’t the fans, in a peaceful display, do something to force the issue? What would the ramifications be for NCSU athletics? How many times have pack fans been screwed out of a SEASON by the unofficials (gonna happen to us this year), think about it!? Then think about how many GAMES the blues got screwed by the refs. I can’t think of one (though I’m SURE I missed IT). Why are we forced to accept this lot? Why can’t we do something about it. I’d like to share some quality wins with my boys before they get old enough to see through the bull$41t and pick another school just to get away from the hex!! And I couldn’t blame them. If a freaking book of pure fiction can bring down the Wolfpack Basketball program, why can’t we find some way to expose the freaking truth about the holes?

SaccoV
    Participant

BJD, the Referee Bill Pittman Show allusion made my day! Even an objective analysis of the league’s position is less than what it was. Regardless of whether it was caused directly or indirectly by his actions, the league is perhaps 4th best of the big-time conferences. If Duke and the Asterisk are getting considerably more positive publicity compared to the other members, including the National Champion Semen-holes in FB, then I conclude his tenure has NOT been a good one. And his head is either full of dog excrement or human excrement!

pakfanistan
    Participant

Since Virginia and Syracuse are the 1 & 2 seeds, Duke and Carolina both have loses to Wake Forest, and the previous two champions were Miami and FSU, I think it’s time we retire the ‘blue bias’ pony.

Ransom
    Participant

Damn the blue orange bias

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^… but at least the ‘color trend’ could be moving in the right direction…

orange is a whole lot closer to red than blue…

Ransom
    Participant

^Suhweet! At long last…Canaan, here we come!

tjfoose1
    Participant

How do you propose making that happen?

Do you mean ‘how’ or do you mean ‘why’? You ask ‘how?’, you answer ‘why?’

If you mean why?, how about corruption, bias, nepotism (don’t forget about Jr, that move cost the conference million$), and failure to perform job duties?

ACC Manual, including bylaws

ACC Manual, Article IX, paragraph 1:

The Commissioner shall ensure adherence to the principles of the Constitution and Bylaws by all members of the Conference.

– Big FAIL. Ensure? Really? More like enable to bypass and provide cover after the fact for certain member(s).

ACC Bylaws, Article III, section c:

c. EQUITY. Implement and advocate the principle of equity

– Big FAIL. Just in the last few years, you think Ga Tech, FSU, and u*nc have all been treated equitably?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Since Virginia and Syracuse are the 1 & 2 seeds, Duke and Carolina both have loses to Wake Forest, and the previous two champions were Miami and FSU, I think it’s time we retire the ‘blue bias’ pony.

Why? We have to go no further than basic logic to dismiss your reasoning. Basic logic tells us that outliers do not belie a trend and an end result does not disprove the existence of efforts against it.

You’re using a logical fallacy to reach a conclusion, at least in that post.

tjfoose1
    Participant

^^ Addendum:

ACC Bylaws, Article III, section b:

… enforce all rules and regulations of the Conference and of the NCAA.

Fail

Article VIII, Section VIII-1. “Alleged Violations” – too much to quote Fail
    Article VIII, Section VIII-2. “Investigations” – too much to quote Fail

TheCOWDOG

In some SFN and other worlds, outliers are to be dispatched before becoming an outlier.

I have never trusted ANYONE with a hairstyle such as his.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Why? We have to go no further than basic logic to dismiss your reasoning. Basic logic tells us that outliers do not belie a trend and an end result does not disprove the existence of efforts against it.

You’re using a logical fallacy to reach a conclusion, at least in that post.

Would you mind detailing the ‘logic’ you used to reach that conclusion?

Would it be the same ‘logic’ you used to conclude that the bible == science?

Also, would you mind listing my ‘logical fallacy’?

Here’s a website you can use to pick one.
    http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/fallacies/fallacies_alpha.htm

Four data points is a trend

Although, you might have an argument if you assume that Swofford thinks his job is to protect the blues. In that case, he would be terrible at his job

By the way, here’s the logical fallacy you used.
    http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/fallacies/appeal_ridicule.htm

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

…fwiw… excepted from E$pin here… a good piece worth reading… regardless of the subject…

-1984–

When Mike Krzyzewski took over at Duke in 1980, he challenged Dean like no one else had. At Duke in ’84, Dean sent a sub to the scorer’s table, but the horn didn’t sound at the next break, and the refs didn’t wave the sub in. Dean ran down to the table and tried to sound the horn himself. Instead he banged the scoring button, and 20 points popped up on the Tar Heels’ side of the scoreboard. The Duke fans went nuts. Dean somehow avoided a technical. Carolina won. Afterward, Krzyzewski complained about “the double standard that exists in this league.”

I guess someone, somewhere, might suggest that Coach Rat showed some people how to fix the problem…even if it took about twenty years…

By the way… ya’ll heard, Coach Rat got a little dizzy on the bench last night watching while those Baptists wrought righteous indignation on his kids… I know everybody at SFN…joins me in hoping whatever caused that was truly the Deacs fault…

At age 67… one never really knows for certain about those kinds of things…

tjfoose1
    Participant

Would you mind detailing the ‘logic’ you used to reach that conclusion?

I already did, in basic terms. You either understand or you don’t. Though in your case, there’s a third option.

I wasn’t even responding to your conclusion, just to the data and method you used to validate it.

Also, would you mind listing my ‘logical fallacy’?

“logical falacy” is known term. Just because it may reside outside your vocabulary does not make it impermissible for the rest of us to use.

By the way, here’s the logical fallacy you used.
    http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/fallacies/appeal_ridicule.htm

No, its not.

Actually, here it is:

The free dictionary:

logical fallacy – a fallacy in logical argumentation
    fallacy, false belief – a misconception resulting from incorrect reasoning

I’d say that’s spot on. Exactly how I used it.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Here are more.

Or try this one:
    About.com:

logical fallacy
    Definition:
    An error in reasoning that renders an argument invalid.

Yep. Spot on again

Here’s another:
    Dictionary.com:

logical fallacy
    noun
    a fallacy in logical argumentation

Yep. Spot on again

and another:
    http://www.fallacyfiles.org/introtof.html

A “fallacy” is a mistake, and a “logical” fallacy is a mistake in reasoning.

Yep. Spot on again

Here’s an entire website on logical fallacies:
    http://www.logicalfallacies.info/

What is a Logical Fallacy?
    A logical fallacy is, roughly speaking, an error of reasoning.

Yep. Spot on again

tjfoose1
    Participant

Four data points is a trend

Sure, to be argumentative, you can break it down to more data points, or constrain it to less. Why not throw in all the fouls called against u*nc and duke? And all the fouls not called against their opponents? That way, you can get your ‘data points’ up into the 1,000s.

One could reasonably argue that since UVA had wrapped up the regular season title and the end result already determined, all subsequent data are irrelevant and therefore disqualified from valid ‘data points.’ Therefore, the Wake victory over Duke has no bearing.

No where, has anyone suggested that Swofford picks the winners. What is claimed by many is that he has a bias. A bias that affects the integrity of his job performance.

Although, you might have an argument if you assume that Swofford thinks his job is to protect the blues. In that case, he would be terrible at his job

I never said I did, never said I did not. I never even broached that subject. I do think Swofford is biased. But if he were trying to protect the blues, I believe it is incorrect to assume he is terrible at his job. A proper analysis would need to consider Swofford as a variable. How the blues fair with Swofford against a projected finish without him. Using an extreme example to make my point, if a projected finish has the blues with only 7 ACC wins, then Swofford was indeed successful.

But we all know this is all simply a waste of time. Trying to have an intellectual discussion of varying opinions with you is like trying to discuss astrophysics with a cinder block. That’s a smilie, not a direct name calling.

Your tactics when someone disagrees with you are really getting tired and predictable. You should probably try to branch out a bit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.