Phil Rivers as NC State football head coach

Home Forums StateFans Football Phil Rivers as NC State football head coach

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

A glimpse into the “distant future”?

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/04/09/watch-philip-rivers-fiery-pep-talk-nc-state?sf24056297=1

LOVE this kid! Shoot, Chargers will certainly be terrible again this year with that roster.. go ahead sign him up for a lifetime contract right now!

PackofMac
    Participant

To date that is by far without a doubt the best thing i’ve seen or watched on this site. That guy is a legend, one of a kind with the athletic talent to match his passion for our university. The smile on Coach D’s face throughout the video says it all…he knows. If only all of us here who complain, bitch or educate all things NC State had the athletic talent he had….we wouldn’t lose a game.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Philip will always be my favorite Pack player ( along side Torry Holt) because of his passion and his disgust with losing. You don’t find many guys who have that competitive fire like he has. He always talks a lot of $hit on the field and I admire him for that as well. 🙂

BJD95
    Keymaster

I still prefer RW. PR is too muck like Amato for my tastes!

And nooooooo, I want him nowhere near our coaching job, if his models are his father and Amato (which they almost certainly have to be). I have a good friend who officiates high school football, and has for almost 30 years. Says Papa Rivers is “the biggest jackass I ever dealt with, and it’s not even close.”

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Rivers has one of those love him or hate him kinda personalities so I don’t find it hard to believe someone may have been rubbed the wrong way from his pops as well. That said, I’m fine with whoever his proteges may be so long as his playing success translates over to coaching ability. No way to tell that right now, but he’ll surely be looking to coach after his playing days are over though. There’s nobody with more passion and drive to win than him though… and those qualities can’t hurt.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yeah, I agree with the passion and drive. But I think a head coach also needs diplomacy (agruably) and humility (definitely) in order to really succeed.

Tau837
    Participant

I am surprised to see it implied that Rivers does not have diplomacy or humility.

For the former, just watch any of his press conferences. He has never thrown anyone under the bus, despite playing for lousy coaches and behind a lousy offensive line for the majority of his pro career. He also always praises his opponents.

For the latter, I have never heard him say anything focused on “me” rather than team. I’m sure he is a confident guy, and deservedly so, but I have never heard or observed him to come across as arrogant or cocky or self-centered.

Perhaps his father is a jackass during games (all the ref would know), but it doesn’t seem that he raised a jackass. He has been a team leader for the Chargers for a decade, and he is well respected around the NFL. He is the face of his franchise.

How many jackasses who lack humility and diplomacy can you say that about?

As for talking on the field, there is a difference between talking and talking $hit. He does the former, not the latter. He is well known for never cursing, which I’m sure is rare in his profession.

As for modeling on his father and Amato, while I’m sure they would be big influences on his coaching style, he has also played 12 years in the pros. He has played for Marty Schottenheimer, Norv Turner, and Mike McCoy as head coaches and with many OCs and QB coaches. If he goes into coaching, I would expect his style to be shaped by all of his experiences.

I’m not saying he would be a good head coach, but IMO BJD’s specific criticism here is off base.

BJD95
    Keymaster

He doesn’t curse, but he most definitely DOES talk shit.

That said, the point about his pro coaching mentors is a good one. And he hasn’t ever thrown anyone under the bus in SD, very fair point.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Disclaimer: I love PR. Always will.
    But I do think he possesses a certain megalomaniacal trait which might not serve him well in the coaching ranks.
    Granted, I could be wrong as I am making judgements without full info….admittedly.
    But the prospect would worry me nonetheless.
    That being said, I highly doubt it ever becomes anything more than a hypothetical.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Rivers is a notorious junk talker. Not sure how anyone could see otherwise.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I think his junk talking is just an outworking of his competitiveness. I was always a very different person when playing a competitive sport vs. real life. I had a class with him and he seemed like a nice, normal guy. Of course that was 15 years ago. It was his freshman year when he was starting to get some big publicity. If I saw him around campus, he always said hi. Always seemed different off the field (very limited sample size).

Gowolves
    Participant

Disclaimer: I love PR. Always will.
    But I do think he possesses a certain megalomaniacal trait which might not serve him well in the coaching ranks.
    Granted, I could be wrong as I am making judgements without full info….admittedly.
    But the prospect would worry me nonetheless.
    That being said, I highly doubt it ever becomes anything more than a hypothetical.

Show me a successful college football coach and I’ll promise you he has a bit of megalomaniac in him. Wants to control Everything. Meyer, Saban, etc. Not saying he will have that kind of success but being a megalomaniac doesn’t necessarily hurt him.

choppack1
    Participant

Megalomaniac? Really? Like every other NFL QB, he is absurdly rich.

I think he absolutely has an ego – but name me a starting NFL QB that does not.

I don’t think he’s the former NC state qb with delusions of grandeur.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I, for one, welcome our new quiverfull overlord.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Show me a successful college football coach and I’ll promise you he has a bit of megalomaniac in him. Wants to control Everything. Meyer, Saban, etc. Not saying he will have that kind of success but being a megalomaniac doesn’t necessarily hurt him.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I suppose. There’s a difference between running a tight ship (or having an ego) and being a micromanaging tool. See: Amato, Chuck.

And as already said, I might be wrong about PR in that respect. But if he weren’t an NCSU legend, would you take the risk before there were ANY meaningful data points proving it one way or another? Exactly.

Motivational speaker does not a coach make.

Settle your panties, people.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Show me a successful college football coach and I’ll promise you he has a bit of megalomaniac in him.

Bobby Bowden?

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Phillip would at least bring back excitement. Everyone knocks Chuck, but he was exciting and the program did improve under Chuck. Whether thats just because of stadium expansion, recruiting is debateable because wins werent there, but it was exciting. We need a coach like that again…not saying Amato, but someone with personality. TOB had none and Dave is goinh down same path.

tractor57
    Participant

As much as I like and admire PR I would never base a coaching choice on a video clip of one motivational speech. No disrespect to PR at all. I think one day he could be an excellent coach (especially as an NFL OC) but to be my choice as a college HC he would have to show me more. I like what I see so far but that’s a long way from making up my mind.

Aeight
    Participant

I’d be willing to bet that PR will go into coaching when his playing career is over. He grew up a coach’s son and he has a passion for the game that will need to be fed, so coaching may become his passion in the future. He is a very detailed, and brilliant X and O guy, he showed that as a player here as a young man. I remember a TV game where the TV analyst did a clip on PR during film study and they were amazed at his knowledge of formations, coverages, etc. That will bode well for him as a coach. He is also very rich and probably won’t need to coach to make a living, so we’ll see, but I bet he does.

As far as Chuck goes, don’t knock him too much. Yes he had his issues but Chuck was loved by the fans, he was responsible for getting the redo started and completed to Carter Finley, and he absolutely brought an excitement to NC State football that has not been seen before or after. At one point we were becoming a football school, no doubt about it. I have never seen passion in our fanbase for football the way it was when Chuck was here, particularly in the early years. He also recruited better than anyone we’ve had and that excited everyone. He loves this school. I miss Chuck. Kind of wished they would have given him another year or two to see if he could fix things.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

No idea if he’s going to excel at coaching or not (if he even chooses that path) but I bet if he was the coach the SFN spring game thread would have more than 3 replies.

BJD95
    Keymaster

A much better career opportunity, and something BJD would rather see:

An Alabammy Gubernatorial showdown against The Round Mound of Rebound! 😀

Wufpacker
    Participant

That would be epic fun.

Pack1997
    Participant

Not sure why you wouldn’t want PR to be our Head Coach. He would have to get into coaching and rise through the ranks. Heck I would love to have him as a QB coach. He is pretty good and identifying coverages and understanding progressions etc. That would be great to have someone teach that to our QBs. The guy has a ton of knowledge that could benefit our players. Plus I have to believe it would help recruiting. I think kids going into college would relate well to him etc. Jim Harbaugh is megalomaniac, and pretty good coach.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sid Lowe was really good at slicing up defenses himself. Not to mention a ton of knowledge.
    Just saying.

Speaking only for myself, I’m not saying I wouldn’t want PR as a coach if it ever becomes apparent that he ACTUALLY CAN COACH.

A fiery motivational speech is NOT the full evidence I’d be looking for, however.

How do you people not understand this simple thing?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just to be clear, the premise for this thread was mostly tongue in cheek. I’ve stated several times I have no idea if he’d be a good coach or if he’ll even go that route. I just thought it was awesome that he came back to talk to the kids.

I don’t think anyone wants us to hire a person because they get fired up when they speak, if so might as well get Al Sharpton to come in here and run the show.

That said, my gut instinct tells me Phil has very good chance to become a successful coach in some capacity.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.