Pack picks up big win in Brooklyn, downs #22 LSU in OT

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pack picks up big win in Brooklyn, downs #22 LSU in OT

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Twin B is the girl with the golden curl. When he’s good, he’s very, very good. When he’s bad…

pakfanistan
    Participant

Let’s never forget how amazing Ben Simmons was. Nobody else in that game was worth watching IMO.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Other than being blindingly white, there’s really not much comparison between Wood and GFK. I think GFK’s release is much, much quicker. Plus he’s already MUCH quicker, has MUCH more upper body definition, etc. Can also create his own shot, and dribble drive if the defender overpursues.

Has the raw materials to be really, really special and not a Wood/BSW-caliber role player.

Since74
    Participant

First off I think Kara WhatserName is a very good color commentator. She did a game of ours last year and I was impressed (probably should learn her name). However, I got pretty damned sick of hearing them talk about Ben Simmons while we were keeping him out of the game.

Secondly wouldn’t mind seeing a line-up of Cat, Mav, Twins, and Abu pushing tempo more. Love Lennard and Beejay but it seems way too often four guys are waiting on one of them to get down court to start the offense. Now, going into the third year, it’s tough to watch either of them catch the ball at the elbow with the deer-in-the-headlights panic expression looking frantically for someone to throw to. Everyone in the building knows there’s no shot or drive coming from that spot and their defenders never even come out to contest them. Would much rather see Cody, Caleb, and Abu take a pass at the same spot and either punish the D for not coming out or open up underneath when they do. Seeing a bit of that from Abu already this year and I like it.

That being said, running more requires more bodies so I’d love to see Gott find some minutes for Kirk. I guess he’s not there yet but last night we looked spent midway through the second half before we caught a second wind.

Don’t get me wrong about Lennard and Beejay. I’m still hoping for Lennard to become the 2nd coming of Rich Howell (sans tendancies) and think that Beejay could be a monster if he’d go strong to the hole immediately when fed in the low post. Seems like he too often gets it there and thinks it over too long before taking action.

Still have high hopes for this group. The chemistry and heart seems bigger than we’ve seen in a while.

Adventuroo
    Participant

FWIW,

Re….Lennard. Right now, the coaches kiddingly say that we have 7 1/2 players. The one half is Lennard since he is so out of condition due to his leg surgery.

Don’t know Kirk’s condition….but he is not 100%…

The Martin Twins sniff PT….and the better they PLAY….the more they get….and the less likely some of the “We are COMING…” guys to get THEIR PT.

Folks have already talked about Maverick. He shoots….he runs….he defends….he REBOUNDS. My GOD….what a concept. Need to keep him healthy.

Abu is looking better….and Anya seems to be getting his mojo back.

If Henderson comes back a little early….we will have some great performances….but think about how Whit came back. He was a step slow and a little off….it will take Henderson some TIME just to get back into shape. Meanwhile, his BB IQ (ability to play) will have taken a harder hit….and he will still be struggling to get back in rhythm….especially….since he sat out a year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Not to get heretical or anything…but based on some of the descriptions I heard coming into the season, I told a friend that it sounded like he was describing elements of Rodney Monroe in GFK’s game.

Now, I’m certainly not saying he’s THAT good, or has THAT high a ceiling, but he does seem to have that “shooter plus scorer” mentality, plus other things in his locker that opponents don’t expect (particularly the nose for the ball). Another thing that IS a strong resemblance is how GFK always gets his shoulders square, regardless of release point.

I’m thinking now of that wild FT miss play that sent us to the first of 4 OTs against Wake Forest many moons ago, the game that V apologized to Bob Staak for winning LMAO.

Tau837
    Participant

Other than being blindingly white, there’s really not much comparison between Wood and GFK. I think GFK’s release is much, much quicker. Plus he’s already MUCH quicker, has MUCH more upper body definition, etc. Can also create his own shot, and dribble drive if the defender overpursues.

Has the raw materials to be really, really special and not a Wood/BSW-caliber role player.

Agree with most of this, but not seeing that Mav’s release is “much, much quicker.” I am very excited about his potential, though. The upside of Henderson’s injury is that the extra minutes Mav is playing now should accelerate his development and make him more effective during ACC play.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It will definitely be easier to tell re the quickness of his release once the conference games begin.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

It seemed like Wood’s quickness was something that developed over time. I don’t remember it being as quick as it was by his senior year where he could turn and flip the ball in the blink of an eye and with relative accuracy. Mav is quick now and can only get better.

Re: the Ben Simmons lovefest video: the only thing against State I saw was the picture before the video plays. I guess that one field goal he scored wasn’t impressive-looking enough.

BJD95
    Keymaster

See, I just never found Wood’s release to be that quick. You are right that it definitely was better his senior year, and that made him a much more dangerous player.

tractor57
    Participant

Comparing Wood to Rowan as freshmen I think Rowan fares well. No disrespect to Wood but I do see more upside here.

RedReid
    Participant

You know we will be fine. It’s year 5 with Gott. Don’t you know the routine by now.

End Season on a Bang
    Get hyped for next season
    Lose a critical player
    Get rid of your problem child
    Lose hopes of top 20 team next season
    Start the season off slow
    Find some answers
    Lose a few head scratchers
    Get a big victory and winning streak going
    Upset dook or cheats
    Nice acc tourney
    Nice NCAA tourney
    Rinse
    Wash
    Repeat

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.