Our Event Is About to Begin! Please Stand By!! Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Our Event Is About to Begin! Please Stand By!! Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Yogi – I didn’t notice him. Of course, that doesn’t mean much.

I will say this, I was glad that the ol was able to manhandle a team, because that hasn’t happened consistently for the last 15 years. (One notable exception was not being able to punch it in from 1 yard line. Apparently, we may need to consider McClendon in those situations.)

Greywolf
    Participant

(One notable exception was not being able to punch it in from 1 yard line. Apparently, we may need to consider McClendon in those situations.)

It wasn’t IMO that we weren’t able to, we farted around and blew it. I am curious to know what play was called from the sidelines. Finley ignored the coaches and called his own number in the huddle. When the game was still competitive, Samuels got the call and waltzed in untouched.

Not much interested in the quarterback sneak but I wonder if we have anybody who can go over the top. Moss impressed me on that short pass with his run after the catch. Interesting that he is the HB back up for JaySam.

TheCOWDOG

Regarding the OL:

The blocking scheme was one of the noticeables when watching Drinkwitz films. It is complicated, and it appears that the boys know what they’re doing.

YogiNC
    Participant

That’s one thing that impressed me CD. Usually I don’t notice that much what the line is doing, unless they are porous and killing the QB. Last night I caught myself zoning in on what the line was doing and at times it looked like a chinese fire drill. And then Boom, a gaping hole would appear and somebody with the ball was headed down field and LBs and defensive backs were having to chase. And yes, it looked like EVERYBODY was blocking. The jet sweeps had a blockade in front of them. And if there is even more complexity in what we didn’t see, and if they can pull it off, it will be difficult for defenses to know what’s coming.

With the Canada offense it got to the point where even I could predict what he was going to run. The other night I didn’t have a clue and that’s what got me caught up in the line movements to try and catch where the play was going. At that point though for defenses it is a matter of minimizing the long gainers, and bill & mary didn’t react very well most of the time. Drink is definitely taking advantage of our deep backfield. If we can continue to run the ball like we did then this team is going to be tough to beat. But then that’s just my opinion.

Smarter than the average bear

BJD95
    Keymaster

Drink has the aura of “mad genius” about him. I am excite.

Just need to see Finley toss it downfield. I’ve seen him go through progressions quickly and correctly, and hit the seam route. That’s 2-for-3 checked off.

choppack1
    Participant

The true tests are coming. Overall, I saw good things. I also saw things that concern me. However, objectively, you have to realize that its one game against a vastly inferior opponent. You have to believe that just as you didn’t see every weapon in the arsenal, you didn’t get the resistance you will get against better opponents.

YogiNC
    Participant

I’m not so sure the vastly inferior moniker fits. The Tribe is a pretty darned good team even if they are FCS.

Gowolves
    Participant

I’m not so sure the vastly inferior moniker fits. The Tribe is a pretty darned good team even if they are FCS.

I’m sorry dude but it fits very nicely. I’m going to wait before I start handing them the atta boys. Not saying they didn’t do some good things Thursday night, I’m just not ready make any proclamations about this team.

YogiNC
    Participant

it’s not a matter of atta boys, you can say what you want but the Tribe beat the FCS champion last year in the regular season and just did loose to them in the semifinals. They gave Virginia all they could handle too. The top tier FCS teams can and do beat good FBS teams. Wanna bet how many times DD told the team not to look past that team? W & M are far from vastly inferior. That’s disrespecting the Tribe and in turn disrespecting how good that win was.

Greywolf
    Participant

YogiNC wrote:
    I’m sorry dude but it fits very nicely. I’m going to wait before I start handing them the atta boys. Not saying they didn’t do some good things Thursday night, I’m just not ready make any proclamations about this team.

Gowolves, You just now handed out a very nice “atta boy.” The Pack made the 10th rated team in the FCS look like a “vastly inferior” team.

W&M returned, I believe, 9 starters from a very good offense last year. Their defense wasn’t as experienced and therefore not as much could be said about our offense.

Still, dude, “vastly inferior” does not fit. I’m not about to make proclamations about the Pack but I’m not demeaning what they accomplished Thursday night by referring to W&M as “vastly inferior.

What’s baffling to me is why would any Pack fan want to.

Greywolf
    Participant

Did anyone see Pharoah McKever last night? If he was on the field he didn’t make a great number of plays.

Glad you asked that. No, I didn’t see him.

What I did see that was very interesting was Cole Cook in the backfield and #41, Clark Eyers, at TE. He’s a 6-5, 252 lb. TE transfer from Western Carolina and he did a super job blocking on the one play I saw. This may have been in the 1st quarter, for sure the 1st half — not mop-up time.

The HB or TE/FB depth chart was Samuels, Cook and Moss. Of course this is just the first game and things have a way of changing.

Drink is going to get the credit but our run-game coordinator, Dwayne Ledford, is the man who is coaching all that blocking and great run game we saw.

Gowolves
    Participant

it’s not a matter of atta boys, you can say what you want but the Tribe beat the FCS champion last year in the regular season and just did loose to them in the semifinals. They gave Virginia all they could handle too. The top tier FCS teams can and do beat good FBS teams. Wanna bet how many times DD told the team not to look past that team? W & M are far from vastly inferior. That’s disrespecting the Tribe and in turn disrespecting how good that win was.

It’s all semantics. I am not putting the Pack down. What I am saying it’s about what we do in the conference. The Pack did what they were expected to do. You and Greywolf have a wealth of football knowledge and even more so the Pack. I feel like I do as well. My point is let’s wait before we make broad statements about how good this team looked. We saw last year how the cupcake schedule played out. I do think this team is better because of experience. At the same token it’s a new offense with a new QB. The tribe is not the same team from last year. They had some injuries coming into this game and had a few more during the game. Cautious optimism is all I am saying.

Greywolf
    Participant

The Pack did what they were expected to do.

The Pack may have done what YOU expected them to do but the Pack exceeded most posters expectations.

The tribe is not the same team from last year.

And neither is the Pack so why are all the references about last season? It is correct that the Tribe was rated 10th in the FCS this year.

Cautious optimism is all I am saying.

Why say W&M is “vastly inferior” when that is not close to what was thought before the game was played? Cautious optimism has nothing to do with what kind of team the Tribe has. If we beat ECU, ODU and WFU we should be cautiously optimistic about ND and the rest of our schedule.

All I am saying, and I’d bet Yogi too, is don’t trivialize the Pack because you are “cautiously optimistic.”

Gowolves
    Participant

You can have the arguement. This is not worth getting into. You are not getting my point.

YogiNC
    Participant

Gowolves, we just expressed joy in what we are seeing this year in the first game over what we saw over the last 3 years. None of us claimed anything other than how the team performed in THIS game. I just took exception to the vastly inferior is all, since I did not feel that was an apt description of W&M. Had we played some lesser team I would have agreed. By the same token anyone who watched that game had to come away with the impression that this Pack team at THIS point in time is much improved over the last 3 iterations. In no way did anything I read imply that anyone feels this season will be easy, the schedule is brutal. BUT my optimism is much higher than I expected it to be. Also considering CowDog went as far as to say in not so many words “you haven’t seen anything yet” gives me even greater hope since I’m sure with his inside connections he knows a great deal more than any of us who are “out in the weeds”.

TheCOWDOG

Hold the phone, Yogi. My inside connections change like the weather, and like California, it’s drought ridden.

No,I have to do my own scouting.
    …And like the climate, is subject to forces that the model might miss.

Gowolves
    Participant

And we all sang the praises of Georgia Soutehrn struggle and ultimate win. How did that season turn out? Look all I am saying is that we can’t read too much into this win. You know that as well. I didn’t say at any point the Pack played bad. What I am saying is it can be fools gold by reading too much into wins like this.

Greywolf seems to know what all the posters are thinking when he says the Pack exceeded all the posters expectations. How do you know that? Did you take a poll? Look we are splitting hairs here. Both of you are not wrong but I am not going to buy in just because you two think everything is rosie because of a win of a top ten FCS team.

YogiNC
    Participant

But CD that’s exactly what I meant. You have infinitely more intimate knowledge than 99% of us. And I’m sure you are doing scouting that none of us are privy too. Also you have connections (networks) inside the program that none of us have. Ergo, you know more about things than WE do.

And Go, not once did I say everything was rosie. I did say that I personally was impressed after this game over any time during the last 3 seasons. We struggled to win those games against lessor competitors in the early games the last 3 seasons. I can’t remember after watching any of them that I had hope like I had after this win, only because I did not see an offense that struggled in this game. As good as our QB play was the last two years (at times) the current OC, his play calling and system, and the QB play was as good “in MY estimation” as we’ve see at State in the past 5 years. And I say that is MY opinion. All I said to you was from my perspective “vastly inferior” wasn’t a valid observation, and that was the only thing I said about your opinion. I’m also not naive enough to think we are conference title material yet. But I did like what I saw.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

With all the unknowns entering the season, it goes without saying they exceeded most or all of our expectations,for game one 🙂

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf seems to know what all the posters are thinking when he says the Pack exceeded all the posters expectations. How do you know that? Did you take a poll?

Getting a little snarky aren’t we? All you have to do is read the comments in the threads to determine that the Pack exceeded expectations in this game. I think I see the problem: I say “the Pack exceeded most posters expectations” and you hear “the Pack exceeded all the posters expectations.”

Both of you are not wrong but I am not going to buy in just because you two think everything is rosie because of a win of a top ten FCS team.

Damn Yogi, I didn’t know you think everything is rosie because of a win of a top ten FCS team. Gowolves seems to have a reading disability.

tj foose
    Participant

McKever was on the sidelines, fully dressed in game uniform.

Gowolves
    Participant

Greywolf seems to know what all the posters are thinking when he says the Pack exceeded all the posters expectations. How do you know that? Did you take a poll?

Getting a little snarky aren’t we? All you have to do is read the comments in the threads to determine that the Pack exceeded expectations in this game. I think I see the problem: I say “the Pack exceeded most posters expectations” and you hear “the Pack exceeded all the posters expectations.”

Both of you are not wrong but I am not going to buy in just because you two think everything is rosie because of a win of a top ten FCS team.

Damn Yogi, I didn’t know you think everything is rosie because of a win of a top ten FCS team. Gowolves seems to have a reading disability.

Now you are just being asinine. If you want to be pissy that’s cool we can do that. You buy the company line and that’s fine. I don’t think you have ever been critical of the pack and if you do its with some exception. You two think that because we beat a ranked FCS team this gives some inclination that this team has what it takes to be good. IT MEANS NOTHING! Other than we have more talent than them. Damn have none of you learned anything the last few years. These games mean very little until the conference games begin. I bet you watch the NFL preseason with he thought if your team does well it means the team will have a good season. Look at the Patriots preseason record and tell me how important it is to win those games. And no I am not a Patriots fan.

Keep drinking the kool aid.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Anyways… I think the qb play was much improved from last year and that’s no dig on JB. I think it is coaching. Nice to see Finley actual read the field and not freak out if he doesn’t find someone open in 2-3 seconds and run up the middle for a short run. It was just baffling last year. Next week should be a good test for the team. Hostile environment against ECU which is always pumped up to beat us.

choppack1
    Participant

I guess I am worried that some of our posters don’t think we are vastly superior to William and friggin mary…and it’s not a slam, but let’s not act like we beat a decent 1a team, we didn’t.

We beat a good double a team.Chuck Amato’s lousy team totally dominated app state after they had won that championship.

It was a good game. But again, it was one game. It was a game against a team with less talent.

As for me, I have been much more impressed with other games, south Florida, UCF and UNC. It doesn’t mean that i wasn’t happy with the game – it just means that we should have won and we did. On to ecu and hopefully a domination of the pie rats.

YogiNC
    Participant

Yes, State was supposed to win. Yes they won, but I also remember when one of CTC’s teams lost to the freaking ZIPS. If we had gone out there and lost to the Tribe and had been ugly doing it like that lost to the Zips was then gloom, doom, despair, and the sky is falling is all that would have been heard. The flip side of that is we won a game against a team that is not the typical real cupcake from the FCS. They are a really decent team, even if it is FCS. Should we have won, Yes, but some of us saw things we were pleased about and expressed it. And by the same token this world has become so cynical that a FAN (look up the meaning of the word) cannot be happy about what they feel are improvements over recent past performances without being blasted for their thoughts because someone else thinks they are stupid. And God help us if we take exception to the blast. Rant over.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.