Ncsu leads high point by one

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Ncsu leads high point by one

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Somebody say Cat Power?

xphoenix87

Listening to the last 90 seconds of that on the radio (had to pick the kids up from Beaver Creek) was really depressing. Not only did Twin B’s idiocy in not pulling the ball out for the last shot almost cost us the game, but it may have also cost us Twin B. YEESH.

Plus, you know…our horrible radio guys.

Cody absolutely made the right play there. He had the angle and 99 times out of 100 he’s going to get either a layup or get fouled. I’d absolutely rather be up 1 or 2 without the ball with 13 seconds left than holding for a difficult shot at the end. We had the misfortune of Cody getting injured, but that doesn’t mean that trying to score there was the wrong decision.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Like clockwork

tjfoose1
    Participant

With Henderson out and only one true guard playing, State is trying to figure itself out. Apparently, so are the bigs. In the mean time, the Wolfpack simply is not very good.

But there’s no telling, not yet, how good High Point is. Along with a 3 point loss to the Wolfpack, they’ve got a 4 point loss to Texas Tech and a 3 point loss to UGA. The rest of their games ended in W’s for High Point. Whatever that means.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The way High Point was shooting – they would rather have the ball down 1 or 2 with 13 seconds to play, then us with it tied and shooting to win.

Again, I couldn’t SEE the play, but if he got fouled and could only manage a wild flip of the ball (what the radio idiots said) than it was hardly like he had an uncontested path for a certain score anyway.

tractor57
    Participant

I thought Cody made the right play. An angle, the foul then the flip which is the double bonus case really didn’t matter unless it fell. I don’t thing it was but I have seen lesser fouls called flagrant 1. One thing you cannot do is play to not be hurt – then you are guaranteed to get hurt. Cody did limp through the post game line. His steal was the play of the game. The shot was I though a reasonable choice. HPU seems to be the real deal for a mid-major and no doubt a strong test for the ‘Pack.

FergusWolf
    Participant

What’s scary to me is the rugby scrum after Cat hit the winning 3. The team was celebrating like they just won against UNC or Duke

Rick
    Keymaster

We are not a good team. These are the players Gott has recruited. I don’t see an upward trajectory. And we are left with the argument about whether High Point (yes High Point) is a good team or not. We are what we are.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I was trying to watch on my tiny Nook and not really listening to the audio, but nobody’s asking the question I had at the end of the game. Why sub in Anya to shoot the FTs?!? I understand wanting Anya in for defense, but why not sub in someone who can shoot FTs at a clip better than 1-3 (even if it is a scrub) for Martin and sub in Anya for Rowan? I just didn’t get that.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

^They didn’t sub in Anya, he was already on the floor, Rowan was the sub. The rule is if a player can’t shoot a FT due to an injury the opposing coach can choose from anyone already on the floor to shoot them in the injured players place. So guess who HP’s coach chose?

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

“We are scared of NC State’s defense” …said no one. #GottD?

Look if you’re happy with the results over the last 4 years and don’t expect anything more then you’re more than happy with keeping Gottfried around forever, hoping he’ll trip over himself to a better result.

My bar is not determined by the 3 previous predecessors to Gottfried and their average to epic fail results. Please don’t spout the line about if Henderson was healthy all year we’d be better because Henderson can’t overcome the horrendous defense this team puts on the court. In all likelihood Gottfried has already peaked at State but thanks to Yow’s colossal mistake of giving him an extension before this season started there’s no chance of replacing him anytime soon. My only hope is UCLA or some other program gets really drunk one night and hires him away.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Ah, I see. Thx for the clarification.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Look if you’re happy with the results over the last 4 years and don’t expect anything more then you’re more than happy with keeping Gottfried around forever, hoping he’ll trip over himself to a better result.

My bar is not determined by the 3 previous predecessors to Gottfried and their average to epic fail results. Please don’t spout the line about if Henderson was healthy all year we’d be better because Henderson can’t overcome the horrendous defense this team puts on the court. In all likelihood Gottfried has already peaked at State but thanks to Yow’s colossal mistake of giving him an extension before this season started there’s no chance of replacing him anytime soon. My only hope is UCLA or some other program gets really drunk one night and hires him away.

I still to this day dont understand the rationale for giving him an extension and 20% raise. I asked before and got some vague answer about recruiting, rewarding sweet 16’s and better than our previous coaches. If someone could explain it to me like a third grader I would appreciate it.

packalum44
    Participant

Jiggawatt is too wise for his own good. Don’t you know ignorance is bliss?

Our only hope is Gott gets caught with his pants down again and can be fired with cause. We can pool our Wolfpack Club money and hire a P.I.

Rick
    Keymaster

That extension is what happens when you hire a friend. It was NOT a savvy business move.

Gowolves
    Participant

I think this can be said about every coach/team in the country accept a handful. Do you know who will be the next great coach? Please let me know. Lavin, Pearl, Ollie, Miller,Wright? I mean almost every coach has some down years.

Bo Ryan records in past years
    20-13 (2009)
    23-12 (2013)
    It takes time. Sometimes your hire is lucky and that good and he stays there for years and creates a “program” then at that point it just becomes a matter of not screwing it up. I know this may be a shock to some of you but the Pack is no longer a program. It was too long between getting screwed and the first hire of decent a coach. So if you want to create an atmosphere that we are a destination job and fire someone every three to six years good luck with that. I would rather let Gott stay here and develop something over the long haul.

Yes I do expect more! I am crazy enough to think hiring and firing every few years is the right answer, then no I don’t buy that crap.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

What’s scary to me is the rugby scrum after Cat hit the winning 3. The team was celebrating like they just won against UNC or Duke

I mean, I think it’s reasonable that 18-22 year olds would celebrate a last second victory, regardless of the opponent. That said, I liked that they got their stuff together and shook hands down the line with the appropriate amount of “been there, done that before” decorum.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Gowolves,

I’ll ignore your straw man question on the next great coach. As for giving Gottfried more time please show me where in his career he’s been able to maintain anything over time. He either hasn’t been around long enough and gets out while up or he peaked and declined until fired. Unlike 99% of people I actually HAVE done the research on winning teams and the vast majority have one thing in common…really good defense. No where in Gottfried’s career has he ever shown results of the type of defense it takes to win big. He starts out average and progressively gets worse season after season and thus his W/L record gets worse and worse. The man has a fatal flaw and everyone sees it except him and I’m assuming Yow. If you want to continue the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, then have at it man. I on the other hand have seen enough of Gottfried to know it’s more than likely not going to get better than the last 4 years.

Rick
    Keymaster

At least the students did not rush the court over all the excitement.

pakfanistan
    Participant

As for giving Gottfried more time please show me where in his career he’s been able to maintain anything over time. He either hasn’t been around long enough and gets out while up or he peaked and declined until fired. No where in Gottfried’s career has he ever shown results of the type of defense it takes to win big. He starts out average and progressively gets worse season after season and thus his W/L record gets worse and worse.

Man, you’re inferring an awful lot from two and a half data points.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I’m not ready to see Gott fired just yet. However, the shine has definitely worn off for me. At the end of this season, I think we need to evaluate where we are as a program and Debby should set down some guidelines going forward. If you play crappy ball, eventually there will be a lot of empty seats in the PNC. UVA was no powerhouse either and has suffered through some bad coaches but they didn’t settle. Neither should we.

Gowolves
    Participant

Nobody here can say he has peaked. He is an average to good coach. You can’t ignore the question of who do you hire if you are willing to get rid of what you have. Yeah this year looks like it could be a down year but every year that is said. This year you may be right

Here is what I know. Talent wins games. Most college kids don’t want to play defense. All believe they will be playing in the league one day. I know what we have in Gottfried. Warts and all. He recruits well and his teams don’t play defense on a consistent basis. Do I think he can catch lightning in a bottle just as easy as the next average to good coach they decide to hire? Yes I do.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’ve been happy with Gott’s tenure here to this point with the exception being the seemingly high attrition rate of his teams each year. We’ve got a phenom PG coming in next year. I’d say if you can’t “see an upward trajectory” from this point then that means you’re just not looking for one.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

pakfanistan, actually I have +18 data points to infer from, he’s simply only had 3 jobs. Nice try though.

Gowolves, it’s a strawman question because (a) I’m not able to fire and hire coaches so I don’t have to take the time to figure out who the next great coach is and (b) AD’s hire consultants to do that for them (who have done the research) and they don’t even know. No one has a crystal ball and you know that. Many factors go into being a great coach and while Gottfried has some of those qualities he’s lacking in others.

Talent alone doesn’t win games but let’s go there since you brought it up. How many successes with bringing in talent will it take for Gottfried to win? 3? 5? 10? What level of talent are we talking about here? Immediate impact 5 stars (top 10)? I seriously would like to know because everyone raves about the STAHS he’s brought in but it hasn’t been enough. How many will it take to win and what will it take to bring them in in order to win? He’s not a fresh face anymore, recruits have a recent history on him to make decisions.

“Most college kids don’t want to play defense.”

So now college kids dictate what the coach can and can’t do? Might want to tell Calipari or Bennett this, they’ll be in for a real shock when they hear it. College coaches are paid millions of dollars to win games. If an average coach stresses and teaches great defense and a player doesn’t want to play defense then an average coach would inform that player who is in charge or that player wouldn’t be on the team.

I said more than likely peaked because I don’t have a crystal ball. I only have Gottfried’s previous results and hundreds of other data points from dozens of other coaches results to draw my conclusion from, not Hope.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Nobody here can say he has peaked. He is an average to good coach. You can’t ignore the question of who do you hire if you are willing to get rid of what you have. Yeah this year looks like it could be a down year but every year that is said. This year you may be right

Here is what I know. Talent wins games. Most college kids don’t want to play defense. All believe they will be playing in the league one day. I know what we have in Gottfried. Warts and all. He recruits well and his teams don’t play defense on a consistent basis. Do I think he can catch lightning in a bottle just as easy as the next average to good coach they decide to hire? Yes I do.

Based on his history yeah, we have an excellent idea of what he is. A bubble coach. Nothing more nothing less. I would rather have a team with an above average coach then above average talent on the roster. The NCAA is loaded with teams way less talented than us and way more successful. Its across the board. How can anyone argue that based on talent alone we are in another stratosphere than ASU, Winthrop, WandM, HP etc? Speaking of ASU we out-recruited herbs team by a wide margin in the past three years, they get a gritty new coach and boom look what happens.

Coaching in the NCAA is absolutely everything. Gott is a bubble coach. If you are happy with that then so be it. It sucks as someone mentioned earlier that Yow and Gott are actually ‘friends’. Its not a standard boss/employee relationship and it clouds the vision of the program. The raise and ext are exhibit ‘A’.

I think we are sunk as a program until at least 2019, probably 2020 when a new AD gets in and wants to hire his guys for the revenue sports. That is unless Yow gives us a parting gift of another substantial raise and ext before she leaves.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.