NC State Football By The Numbers – 2014 Final Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – 2014 Final Edition

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Here are the stats and national rankings after the Wolfpack’s bowl win and the national championship game. While Ohio State won the championship on th
    [See the full post at: NC State Football By The Numbers – 2014 Final Edition]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Here’s the season according to Sagarin

Final Ranking – 48
    SOS – 63 (12th in ACC)

Wins
    Presb – 166
    USF – 147
    WF – 125
    ODU – 116
    SYR – 97
    UNC – 77
    Ga South – 63
    UCF – 58

Losses
    BC – 44
    L’ville – 30
    FSU – 16
    Clemson – 13
    GT – 12

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I liked my viewpoint of the past season better before I saw the numbers lol. We don’t look very good on paper but somehow this team eeked out 8 wins. Whatevs I’ll take it.

Am I missing something? I’ve got that puzzled look on my face like I used to when I would look at the box score after Duke or UNC played BC, FSU, GT, Wake, or us and I would see that the blue bloods were destroyed relative to FG%, rebounds, and assists. But there is that one intangible, the foul line and our best players would be in foul trouble while their best are cleaning up at the free throw stripe.

I guess it makes sense, we did barely win versus sub par non conference opponents and we were what, 3-5 in conference? I guess these numbers fill in the gaps where the record 8-5 leaves off. I rather focus on the record and hope our boys pull off 9-10 wins next year.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Looks like we were pretty “average” in most of the categories both in conference and overall.

Generally speaking we beat the lesser teams (<48) and lost to the better teams (>48). With the benefit of hindsight we see just how difficult our ACC schedule was. At the time I was very disappointed in the BC game since I actually watched the game in person (at least until the sky opened up) which is a rarity for me, but as others have pointed out that game was all about us being on the short end of bad matchups. Finishing off the season strong has softened my view of coach Dorean.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Thank you for putting these together. And thank you, VaWolf82 for that last set of information as well. So, we beat who we were supposed to beat and lost to who we were supposed to lose to…I’ll take that for a second year coach.

Would like to see our SOS get better, but that should come as we as a team get better and schedule better opponents along with that progression.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I wish I had the ability to “Like” the posts as well as the majority of the responses to them. VaWolf and WVWolf thank you for compiling. BC was matchups and that Louisville game that QB who fumbled happened to have that knee or elbow down right as the ball came out and that was a 14 point swing. As was our multiple turnovers against Ga Tech.

That game got out of hand but before we lost our friend “Mo” as in momentum that game started out pretty good.

the_phisherman
    Participant

Seems like our offensive efficiency was really good. Too bad our defensive efficiency was so, so bad.

BrickyardMayhem
    Participant

One of the numbers that really stands out to me is the “Interceptions Thrown” (1,9) which also positively impacted the “Turnovers Lost” (2,16). When you consider where we were the year before and how much some of the lesser numbers (Defense Efficiency) seemed to improve later this season, you would really expect overall better things for next year. With a young team, I’m hoping that we can create some momentum for the following years to come….

Wufpacker
    Participant

Am I missing something?

Turnovers Lost: 15 (2, 16)
    Net Punting: 40.45 (3, 14)
    Blocked Punts Allowed – 1st
    Kickoff Return Defense: 18.81 (5, 23)
    Fewest Penalties Per Game: 4.85 (3, 23)

Not beating ourselves with turnovers and penalties, and keeping teams from flipping the field on us on special teams. These stats are foundation type stuff, and are music to my eyes.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for compiling these numbers.

archdalepack
    Participant

Want to be happy about this year! Not satisfied, but happy! Liked 23 nation on fewest penalties. Coaching is about mindset, mental strength, desire. We have shown improvement. Still believe we would have beat GaTech, without the immaculate interception at the goal line.

Believe the five losses where expected, feel Clemson was the worst, but no surprises in the loss column.

Lots of positive over 2013, expectations will be higher for 2015. Beat goats, give Clemson better fame, upset FSU. Will be fun to watch!

Thanks to all for giving us this forum!

choppack1
    Participant

Tob’s teams were strong in this area. What is very impressive to me is that he has done this with a young team. To do the “don’t beat yourself” stuff so well for a young team bodes well for the future.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.