NC State @ BC

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State @ BC

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

But it could be my fault. I didn’t do my reverses mojo Chewbacca defense and bet against the ‘Pack like I did for the VT game.

Sorry fellas.

Rick
    Keymaster

I now understand. Seriously.

Until Gott changes himself (and I’m not talking coaching), his teams will continue to rise to the challenge when facing adversity, but continue to fail miserably in the midst of success. Think about it. If you know Gott’s history, and watched the u*nc post game, you’ll get it.

It won’t change. Accept the roller coaster. Enjoy the highs, expect the lows. Beat’s the helloutta everything we’ve had since V.

Football, on the other hand, is different. DD will quench your thirst for excellence and consistency.

I agree with this 100%. It is why I have little hippie for basketball. We are not that far from being a top team but the left cannot make the changes necessary to go to the top.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

It is why I have little hippie for basketball.

Well, it certainly seemed like State had a lot of ‘little hippies’ on the court attempting to ball today.

Wufpacker
    Participant

That’s a very GOP autocorrect, I must say.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Well, we can look at it this way. NC State made the conscious decision to stay in the low-rent, “good ol’ boy” ACC.

We have a football coach who apparently knows what he’s doing. Luckily for us, it seems like he will stick around, as long as we keep him happy (ie, pay him).

But back to the low rent thingy. We aren’t realistically gonna beat back DD’s gentleman callers AND pay MG a buyout AND lure a medium-to-high profile replacement.

So…a good-not-great, entertaining-but-frustrating basketball coach is likely the best we are going to get for quite some time, provided we want to compete in el futbol de norteamericano.

BassPacker
    Participant

Yea but Bass – how come some 18 year olds give consistent effort and others do not?

I’m not sure chop, maybe its true, Gott’s persona gives an answer to that question. But one can’t continue to blame it on youth. Again, was it the kids or coach?

I’m not saying didn’t hope the Pack won today, just history tells me to expect different. 1-19 after a win over Blues tends to temper ones confidence. I ask this question, did Gott have the same results after a big win at Bama in SEC? Say like an upset over Kentucky or Tenn, followed by a WTF loss? Be interesting to know those stats.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Yea I think it dawned on me watching Gottfried’s post game with Julius the other night. “We’re gonna celebrate tonight”? I’m sorry, but what exactly are we celebrating? 8-7 in the ACC, still on the bubble looking in? Nothing’s gonna change in Raleigh until we stop celebrating victories over Duke and UNC. Maybe if I stop using unflattering nicknames for those teams and start treating them like any other team that we should just BEAT, just maybe we’ll actually start a culture of winning.

Packzingo
    Participant

Did anyone hear Gott say what time they were to arrive back on campus?? LOL

choppack1
    Participant

Bass – I think it’s on the coach (in this case.)

It’s great that we beat UNC-Ch Tuesday, but we had a chance to almost get off the bubble and we blew it. This wasn’t some January meltdown that we could easily recover – this was the easiest remaining game on our schedule.

I suspect Foose is probably onto something here…I mean, again, like TOB – you have a track record. We can sit there and ignore it (“This time it will be different!”) But I think we know what we Gott. I just wish he was 2 games a year better. Unfortunately, I think it’s more likely that pretty soon, he’ll be 2 games worse (as happened at Bama.)

redcanine
    Participant

Boston F’ing College!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Eh, I dunno. We all loved how he was embracing the moment on Tuesday night. And really, that WAS plenty of time to savor things for 24 hours, refocus, and take care of business. There’s a balance to strike, no reason to not be human about such a big win.

Or else you’ns were hiding your lights under a bushel, so to speak.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Eh, I dunno. We all loved how he was embracing the moment on Tuesday night. And really, that WAS plenty of time to savor things for 24 hours, refocus, and take care of business. There’s a balance to strike, no reason to not be human about such a big win.

Or else you’ns were hiding your lights under a bushel, so to speak.

I have no problem celebrating that win … maybe it went overboard, who knows. He said they had good practices coming into today’s game. Bleh. Then again, good practices =/= being mentally prepared to win … Which is why I feel there may be merit to what foose is asserting. Dammit.

redcanine
    Participant

Isn’t this our worst loss of the year? Even worse than Wofford. Bloody awful.

choppack1
    Participant

Yea – BJD – we did. We all enjoyed the hell out of it…but the bottom line is that if you’re say “We’re going to celebrate tonight!” – You damn well better take care of business the next night or people will blame it on that short term thinking.

Mickey Mantle may have had just as many injury problems if he wasn’t hitting the town and raising hell all the time, but he was and when his body broke down, people naturally concluded it was a result of that behavior.

I’ve also seen interviews with Gottfried. He’s huge on “making the tournament”. Making the tournament is a minimum goal. It’s the equivalent of showing up to work sober at a school that’s won national championships.

Again – I have no problem with celebrating. But it’s similar to what I said about Larry Fedora – if you’re going to brag about your six pack of abs, you darn well better produce on the football field. Else, people will think you care more about the results in the gym than you do the results of your team on the field.

I’ll put it this way – if we lose out – which is a damn possibility (but unlikely) – how will his post-game dance look? It will look foolish, and we’ll all rightly point to that as “the Todd Maranovich” moment. “Hey, look what we did – this is good enough!”

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would feel there was more merit to it had the Hole game been on Wed or Thurs. I just have no ‘splanation of what went down today. It is beyond my pea brain, fo sho.

Anyway, basketball is a tournament sport. I think we can get by with a Charlie Kelly (wild card, bitches!!!) identity, it’s not fatal like it is in football. If we can only do ONE THING (and I think that IS the case), I pay DD rather than go fishing in the hoops pool. I think I can live with MG, warts and all.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Isn’t this our worst loss of the year? Even worse than Wofford. Bloody awful.

Wofford’s not even top three. Either this or home to Clemson (Wake being #3). Being uncompetitive at home to an NIT bubble squad is pretty embarrassing.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Chop – VERY fair points.

You can be big on making the dance because you believe once in, anything can happen. But you can’t keep flaming out every year or THAT becomes a trend, too.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I don’t have a problem celebrating a win. What’s troubling is the lack of recognition of what goes right, what goes wrong, win or lose. There’s just a lack of discipline, and little expectation of excellence there. I think most realize it, and that’s the rub. We know this school recruits itself. A mediocre coach can win here, regardless of system, and can be competitive the majority of the time they take the court. After the previous two coaches, a mediocre coach was an improvement.

But as time goes on, that loses its luster. To both fans and recruits. The changing shape of the ACC will have a lot to do with Gottfried’s future success. The top tier coaches are aging. When will they step down? Who will replace them? Ours is lower middle, upper bottom tier, at least imo. Hard to can when you make the tournament, but hard to get excited about also.

Just an embarrassing loss for this staff and team.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I would feel there was more merit to it had the Hole game been on Wed or Thurs.

Not with this coach’s personality type. You want regimented, no time to waste, no room for error.

Anything less leads to a focus and urgency reflective of it.

That’s the cycle. Learn to accept it.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Assholes couldn’t bring in my fridge because of the ice, either. Didn’t ask about that when they told me to stay home all day waiting for them to call, either.

FUCK. EVERYTHING.

choppack1
    Participant

Yep BJD – one of the unique things about basketball is that it gives 3 opportunities for success. The regular season conference slate, the conference tournament and the post-season tournament.

I sometimes think that V’s magic spoiled us. People forgot – he had started to build a pretty consistent winner in Raleigh – and the main reason we weren’t a “consistent winner” in 83 was that we lost our best offensive player for much of the year. As much as V emphasized the tournaments – he had some pretty good results. Even still, it’s a lot easier to build during the regular season – get a good seed and roll through those last 2 tournaments facing worse performing teams than it is to hang banners when you’ve got to go through a gauntlet.

BJD95
    Keymaster

One of the strengths of MG’s personality is that he allows (and actively encourages) players to have their own identities, and to be creative on the court. That is VERY V-like. The key is to balance that with responsibility to the greater good (ie, their teammates). He’s not a drill seargent. That CAN be good.

Gowolves
    Participant

This game had upset written all over it. I mean they have three seniors and two juniors staring. One of the best players in the conference. Pack is coming off three straight wins and feeling good. Being played in cavernous barn where you could hear a spider burp. As someone said earlier we all knew this coming

choppack1
    Participant

And chalk this up to the ying and yang of life. I was planning on vacuuming Tuesday evening to burn off my frustration of another heartbreaking loss. Needless to say, I got that vacuuming in today. (Don’t ask me why, but I typically have to be in a bad mood to vacuum – and I’m usually in a pretty good mood, but a $225 cleaning bill will sour that!)

tjfoose1
    Participant

Look at this way. Think of your top college coaches, any sport.

When is the last time you ever saw one react as Gott did (in actions and words) Tues after a regular season win.

The players absorb that. They adapt it. They’ll occasionally say the right thing, but it’s not a switch that can be flipped.

After the Louisville game, the team knew they were still in the hole and much work left to be done. Not so after Tues.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.