N.C. State @ Wake Forest – 8pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation N.C. State @ Wake Forest – 8pm

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Cat is playing fantastic basketball. It proves he has the goods. Why now? No idea. Guess he had enough of the doubters.

But the problem now is chemistry/flow. We are a completely different team. New roles. It doesn’t look good from afar. Gott may be losing them, if he hasn’t already. Really disappointing season thus far.

lawful
    Participant

He’s Gott to go.

TheCOWDOG

A couple of life changing events has a bit to do with Cat showing profound confidence.

Again, so many issues to deal with, Gottfried resembles the Little Dutch Boy.

Ya wanna clue to what’s happening? Stop watching the ball. Take the whole picture in.

If you are inclined to lay it on Gottfried’s feet…so be it, but you’re missing alot.

backthebackagain
    Participant

A couple of life changing events has a bit to do with Cat showing profound confidence.

Ya wanna clue to what’s happening? Stop watching the ball. Take the whole picture in.

If you are inclined to lay it on Gottfried’s feet…so be it, but you’re missing alot.

I read these cryptic posts on both boards, I wish someone would just spell it out for me. I honestly have no clue what you are referring to. Quit being vague and just say it

Since74
    Participant

Maybe if he calls them all Calvin … nah, nevermind.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Agree on all points.

That said, there’s always going to be a tendency for quite a few to be ‘reactionary’ immediately after ‘x’ game/event, etc. Serious question – if you care to answer – because I appreciate your insight and input:

Clearly, the results and responsibility overall are on Gott – but at what point – if ever – would you personally put your last three points down as ‘marks’ going against Gottfried?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Do you think Gott is a coach that can get NC State back to where fans want us to be?

TheCOWDOG

Wufpup, Paki…Fair questions.

Heres what I believe:

Remember, the very best of coaches are skilled in preventative medicine. If Coach is very, very skilled the patients don’t get sick.

Does this coach have what it takes to rescue the sick? I think he does, but I’m not sure the infirmed are willing to be treated.

All things really healthy in BB begin with dedicated defense. I mean mantra D.
    It is not Coach’s mantra, so he ain’t got followers.

It’s really quite common in the basketball world, you know.

Does that answer your questions?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Thanks for your response. Answered fine to me 🙂

Does this coach have what it takes to rescue the sick? I think he does, but I’m not sure the infirmed are willing to be treated.

^With this, we start to get into the semantics and the ‘catch-22’ of “are players coachable” vs. “he brought those un-coachable players in!” which, imo, will always be debatable with no real conclusion (eye of the beholder).

Looks like bottom-line results will rule the day again. On that note, while it’s not over – this season has been a fairly large disappointment to me – unsatisfactory. In fairness though, three results would have shifted my outlook – Notre Dame, Clemson, and @ Wake Forest. I can write off Wofford and Cincinnati (not excuse, but take as is). While I would still have a raised eyebrow at some of the play displayed, change the results of ND, Clemson, and Wake and my outlook changes to ‘satisfactory’ to this point. Bottom line for me is that this team should be in the NCAA Tournament.

I like Gottfried’s overall philosophy and absolutely love his penchant for great scheduling. I don’t like the porous defense that is often displayed. I understand sticking with your bread-and-butter in the high post offense, but it has not worked so well for this particular team. Thankfully we don’t hire/fire after each game though. End of season grades are not in yet.

I don’t look forward to the Virginia game or thread. I hope the players look forward to the game though.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m satisfied with the response, but it’s not the answer I wanted to hear.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mr. Dog posted several weeks back something to the effect that great defensive players are “spiritually equiped” for that particular task.

I leave it to him to elaborate on what exactly that means, if he chooses. For now, let’s just say it’s a “personality” thing.

At it’s core … that’s a given, innate thing that some have and some don’t… so on that level, it’s not really “coachable”.

Now if you have a couple or three of “those guys” on your team, then a good coach can play that so the rest of the squad follows their lead and plays much better defense than they otherwise would elsewhere…. so at this level… good defense is “coachable”.

Good Team Defense takes three things….
    1. The Spiritual Leaders.
    2. Dedication and Hard Work from everybody in doing the things nobody except the “spiritual leaders” really want to do..
    3. Upperclassmen.. . 2-3 years in the system… minimum.

As Mr. Dog pointed out… It’s an area in which we have a lot of room for improvement.

Teams are mirror images of their coaches… most all the time.

Interesting enough… it doesn’t really matter whether we are talking about basketball or football… it could be suggested that the same holds true for both.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

There’s more. A defense has to be choreographed,too.

I’ve seen this very same core group, minus Warren, play some outstanding zone,for instance.

If one has watched our zone of late, you’ll see that a couple guys are out there dancing alone.

redcanine
    Participant

Our guys were on great high school teams and played for excellent coaches. Trevor won a state champilnship, and Lennard and the Martins played for legendary coach Steve Smith at Oak Hill. It’s not like they are from some obscure place like Clayton, NC. Did our guys catch amnesia somewhere along the way? Or am I giving them undue credit for knowing how to play defense before they got here?

Obviously, there’s no synergy on this team. We are so uncoordinated. Perhaps they are, or at least trying, to do what they’re told. Either way, it’s very disappointing because I assumed this young team was full of winners, and that our coaches had enough to work with.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Our guys were on great high school teams and played for excellent coaches.

Those are two totally different things…

For example… I saw Kennedy Meeks play in the State Championship against Tyrone Walker

Walker was a Senior… Meeks was a Soph…

Walker 6’11” did anything he wanted to at NH High School both on and off the court — Meeks who hadn’t got his drivers license yet just had that “look”…

Walker went to Wake Forest and the rest is history..
    Meeks showed up at Carolina 60lbs overweight…

Draw your own conclusions…

Two of mine are …. Stars don’t mean squat…
    the other is … High School Coaches ain’t what they used to be…

—————-

^”Knowing how” and “wanting to”…
    Those are two totally different things too…
    I’m betting our “problems” are 30% = 70% to the later….

redcanine
    Participant

I can accept that, Bill. Thanks.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bottom line, whether your or I like it or not, at this level, it is the coach’s responsibility to get the most out of his players, and to get the team to play as one. Players come and go. Coaches do too and this can be one reason why tenures are cut short.

Gott has had a good first three years, but there are some warning signs this year. And I’m not all to optimistic about next season, either if things don’t change rather quickly.

This new ACC, with the additions of Lville, ND and Cuse, is indeed brutual. We’re now far down the pecking order. When, and how exactly, does that change?

TheCOWDOG

^
    Ask Bennet.

TheCOWDOG

Bennett.

Mike
    Participant

I wonder how Dayton lost the other night at UMass. UMass is not the power they once were, and are actually sitting at just 11-9 with the win over Dayton. Sorry, enough of the snarky comments.

lawful
    Participant

Defense wins championships.

Rick
    Keymaster

Teams are mirror images of their coaches… most all the time.

I feel this team is a mirror image of the coach.
    One thing consistent has been the dysfunction. IMO that is the mirror

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Defense wins championships.

Winning Games wins championships…
    Champions are winners…
    Winners do what it takes…
    and that means playing good defense…

Yes … that’s double tautology…

SFN Coaches… If you can get your kids to play consistent, high quality defense for at least 35 minutes a night…
    they should most always be in a position where they can win the game…
    but you need to make some baskets too..
    and a little bit of luck comes in handy from time to time…

I’ve known of good college coaches who spend 60% of every practice working on defense..
    20% on conditioning, drills and fundamentals (like free throw shooting)…
    leaving only 20% for offense and next game specifics…

FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON from October to March!

tjfoose1
    Participant

I don’t know basketball, but I know coaching and team/player management. I’m not a Gott critic, and appreciate what he’s done for the program. But from what Ive seen, I’d be surprised if he’s around to see all his current players finish their NC State career.

Pack1997
    Participant

The game was the first time I have seen us play this year live. I had a few takeaways. First half, I saw a lot arguing from Gott with a few of the players, but mainly Washington. Washington was missing his defensive assignments. He was cheating to help a lot and losing track of his man. Washington also took some dumb shots during this stretch and Gott didn’t pull him. Consistent mistakes on both end of the floor and the coach should pull them. I believe it is one of the main reasons we lack discipline. There is no high post offense with this team. In the high post the idea is to feed it into the post let the defense collapse opening up the rest of the floor. If they don’t collapse, the player should be able to beat his man one on one. Instead we have 3 players passing the ball around the three point line with 2 players on each side looking to post up. Never at the top of key. It doesn’t seem like we play team ball, just a lot of individuals out there. This team is headed in the wrong direction, and my only hope is that week off allows us an opportunity to get heads straight and salvage the year. In order to do that they have to trust one another and their coaches.

Cat is the best defensive player on this team. I have noticed it a lot over the last few games, but even at the beginning of the year he was playing good D. While he makes a mistake here or there he gives it everything he has got while out on the floor. I am not sure some of the other players do. Abu and Turner continue to foul out of games, make stupid mistakes. They are often in the wrong position defensively to make a play.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

foose… coaching is coaching … same in sports, business, home, everywhere….
    the only difference is in the technical and mechanical details…

Coaching is NOT the same as teaching…

Teaching is 90% information and 10% motivation…
    Coaching is 90% motivation and 10% information…

I’ll take coaching over teaching every day…

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 351 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.