Michigan 66 NC State 59

Home Forums All StateFansNation Michigan 66 NC State 59

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Is it confirmed that the grad transfer rule is changing

I don’t know if it is official (couldn’t find a link) or not but yes this is in the works to be changed.

There will be deviations, but after 14 years of coaching there’s a definite track record and while past performance doesn’t indicate future results, its foolish to expect much different.

That’s exactly right.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

There will be deviations, but after 14 years of coaching there’s a definite track record…

Agree completely and I still have an e-mail that I sent to a couple of people after the Gott hire was announced. But in any event, this reminded me of several famous quotes:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
    Henry Ford

ryebread
    Participant

I think the question is whether NC State’s built in program advantages could push Gott over the top. Will they make his floor higher than the freefall that happened at Alabama? Are they high enough to get the talent to win a talent?

This year is very telling as what I feel like his floor is. If that’s the NCAAs, then we’re not in awful shape.

I question the school’s commitment to actually winning championships — ACC or national. I’m not convinced it is there. If it is not, and NCAAs are kind of the floor, then we’ll see Gott a long, long time.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think the question is whether NC State’s built in program advantages could push Gott over the top. Will they make his floor higher than the freefall that happened at Alabama? Are they high enough to get the talent to win a talent?

This year is very telling as what I feel like his floor is. If that’s the NCAAs, then we’re not in awful shape.

I question the school’s commitment to actually winning championships — ACC or national. I’m not convinced it is there. If it is not, and NCAAs are kind of the floor, then we’ll see Gott a long, long time.

I had hoped during his tenure as an analyst that he learned the importance of sound fundamental defense. I don’t see that realization so yes, we have what we have.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^rye, I tried to answer that question in the recruiting thread. No built in advantages sustain you. Recruiting and winning feed off one another. His recruiting at State has trended downward. It’s not horrible but it’s not excellent either. He’s been able to offset some transfers, even upgrade a few, with incoming players, but I’m not sure I’d say his record in this department is a net positive. He could round out a nice class to go with Dennis Smith, Jr., but I think some of that depends on this season. And that’s not encouraging to me. With a coaching change comes excitement and program rejuvenation. That’s when the major culture change and momentum starts, but it has to be sustained with winning, player development, etc..If not, the recruiting levels off. In Gott’s case, if the recruiting levels off, I don’t think he’s good enough relative to his peers to win big. He needs top recruits. But the shine starts to wear off after 4-5 years. All his players now. Not someone elses. I’ve always thought that he had a talented bunch in Year 1, and a hungry bunch–kids who were highly recruited and talented, along with some role players who worked their tails off and were hungry. That’s his best defensive club. Coming down the home stretch of the ACC and the NCAA, they flat got after it. Even Calvin. Not since have we seen a team play as hard as that team did for the last 10-12 games. That’s telling.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

And I’ll add that what frustrates me most about Gottfried is that he doesn’t play to what he openly admits are his strengths and preferences. His teams generally are among the mores efficient on offense in the conference and NCAA. What does that mean? It means you need more possessions so you can exploit that advantage. How do you get more possessions? You either play better defense, or you speed up the game, try to play faster. He does neither.

I suppose you could make an argument that the offense is generally efficient because they do play methodically. And if they were to speed up, the offense would suffer. I don’t buy it. I think his teams have gone farther astray each season from the UCLA high post. They waste a lot dilly dallying around and put little pressure on defenses off the dribble. And they typically seem uncomfortable against zones.

Classof89
    Participant

Yow has yet to fire a coach she hired, right? After watching this team play, I’m still thinking I must have dozed off and was dreaming when I heard Gott tell the Raleigh Sports Club last month that this team could be the best defensive team he’s had….

tjfoose1
    Participant

Yow has yet to fire a coach she hired, right?

I think that’s right, but she’s only been at NC State for 5 years.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Some of her hires have been great – Swimming, wrestling, softball. Need to get new baseball coach, Avent can do less with more than any one I know. Volleyball looked good for a while but might be time to cut bait there.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Some of her hires have been great – Swimming, wrestling, softball. Need to get new baseball coach, Avent can do less with more than any one I know. Volleyball looked good for a while but might be time to cut bait there.

http://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-non-revenue-sports-news/2015/12/1/9832424/bryan-bunn-steps-down-nc-state-wolfpack-volleyball

Tau837
    Participant

My fear is that we’re looking at HWSNBN v2 with Gott.

I don’t see this.

2011-12:
    Took over team that was 15-16 (5-11) in 2010-11 and had not made NCAA tournament since 2005-06
    20-11 (9-7) regular season, 4-2 postseason, 24-13 (11-8) overall

2012-13:
    22-9 (11-7) regular season, 2-2 postseason, 24-11 (13-8) overall
    Beat UNC and #1 Duke

2013-14:
    Lost starters Brown, Leslie, Howell, and Wood from previous season
    19-12 (9-9) regular season, 3-2 postseason, 22-14 (11-10) overall

2014-15:
    Lost ACC POY Warren from previous season
    19-12 (10-8) regular season, 3-2 postseason, 22-14 (11-10) overall
    Beat Duke, UNC, Louisville, #1 seed Villanova

Overall entering this season:
    Regular season 80-44 (.645), ACC 46-36 (.561), postseason 12-8 (.600), overall 92-52 (.638)
    4 NCAA bids in 4 seasons, 2 S16s
    Has recruited well
    Teams are typically competitive with the best teams in the country
    Teams and players have typically shown improvement throughout seasons and careers

The 2012-13 season was disappointing, but overall it feels like he has done a good job. He coached the team to wins over 5 HOF coaches, most with better teams, just last season (K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim, Wright). That proves he can coach.

The biggest thing that has hurt the program during his tenure is not transfers, where IMO the guys who have transferred in have more than offset the guys who transferred out. It is not recruiting… notable misses on Jefferson and Bam certainly hurt, but overall Gott has recruited well. What has really hurt are the guys who left early to go pro — Leslie, Brown, Warren, Lacey. All of them would have been difference makers if they stayed longer.

But that is college basketball today. And in each of those cases, I understand their decisions to leave early.

Like others, I would like to see more success. I would like to see better defensive coaching, which at this point suggests turning over some assistant coaches. I would like to see a more extensive use of the available scholarships to provide more depth and potential on the roster. I would like to see fewer players departing the program early.

But in the big picture, I don’t see HWSNBN 2 at all. I see a guy who has elevated and stabilized the program from where it was when he got here. And in a much tougher ACC than it was in HWSNBN’s tenure.

This is a classic be careful what you wish for moment. If Gott leaves, it is much more likely we will end up with a coach that is worse than a coach that is better.

Rick
    Keymaster

But in the big picture, I don’t see HWSNBN 2 at all. I see a guy who has elevated and stabilized the program from where it was when he got here. And in a much tougher ACC than it was in HWSNBN’s tenure.

This is a classic be careful what you wish for moment. If Gott leaves, it is much more likely we will end up with a coach that is worse than a coach that is better.

There are some parallels. They both have flaws that will keep them from winning a title. However Gott is a few steps up from hwsnbn. And unlike hwsnbn I agree that we could take a step back from Gott. Especially since it appears we will not get Archie.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Gott started with a bang, and now it appears to be tapering off (at least as far as this season is concerned). Herb started very slow then became Mr. Consistent as far as NCAA bids go. But, we all knew we weren’t going anywhere with him beyond what we had already reached. Some may be saying the same about Gott now. I don’t know. I do know that if he and/or his staff does not begin to emphasize team defense in a serious way, we’re probably stuck in neutral. It’s really stinkin’ bad now. Part of that is personnel, but I see no evidence of any kind of focus on that end of the floor.

To me, the big wildcard is how long do K, Roy, and Pitino go? Can’t be too much longer. When they bow out, are we prepared to take a major step forward? UVa found their man. I believe Wake has as well (at least until Self retires). We need him to have us exactly in that position to fill the void. But it has got to be on both ends.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Gott started with a bang, and now it appears to be tapering off (at least as far as this season is concerned). Herb started very slow then became Mr. Consistent as far as NCAA bids go. But, we all knew we weren’t going anywhere with him beyond what we had already reached. Some may be saying the same about Gott now. I don’t know. I do know that if he and/or his staff does not begin to emphasize team defense in a serious way, we’re probably stuck in neutral. It’s really stinkin’ bad now. Part of that is personnel, but I see no evidence of any kind of focus on that end of the floor.

To me, the big wildcard is how long do K, Roy, and Pitino go? Can’t be too much longer. When they bow out, are we prepared to take a major step forward? UVa found their man. I believe Wake has as well (at least until Self retires). We need him to have us exactly in that position to fill the void. But it has got to be on both ends.

I wish we would just hire Archie and get it over with. Gotts teams will never play the gritty way to finish in the top tier of the ACC. He is proven to be just what he is. Take away the miracle sweet 16’s and its a pretty crappy run all things considered. Its just a damn shame trying to figure out how teams like Dayton, Xavier and Cincinnati are better and way more prepared in basketball then we are. It just seems like this program has an unlimited resource of excuses.

Gott pretty much sucks and his record is proof positive. Same teams year in and year out.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m probably in a very small minority here, but I fully believe Gott could take us to the final four if he can land us a couple of back to back top 10 recruiting years (he’s obviously no Brad Stevens so he NEEDS talent). Get to the F4 and anything can happen. The dude can motivate in the post season no question in my mind. Problem is, as has already been mentioned, the shine after these 5 years may have started to dull. Time will tell. If recruiting continues a slow decline in the next couple years then I’m fully boarding the FIRE GOTT bandwagon, but as of right now, he gets a pass for a sh!!ty season this year.

TheCOWDOG

AT…You most certainly are in the minority.

I figure I’m # 12, so you might be #…Oh, I don’t know. Your call.

Owen92 got a leg up, though. He’s got the front money and young Archie’s ear.

Pack78
    Participant

Holes lose 84-82 on last-second jumper in Austin…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I figure I’m # 12, so you might be #…Oh, I don’t know. Your call.

Put me down for #17… always loved Phil’s number.

Holes lose 84-82 on last-second jumper in Austin…

I must say that brings joy to my heart! Christmas time is here… the holes lose another game. Probably only slip to #4 though.

About to put a chunk of change on Popovich ML in the big boys league tonight. Wish me luck fellers 🙂

Tau837
    Participant

He is proven to be just what he is. Take away the miracle sweet 16’s and its a pretty crappy run all things considered.

So you’re saying if we take away his two best postseasons, his tenure doesn’t look as good? Well, no ****, Sherlock. How about if we take away Valvano’s two best postseasons? How does he look then? The premise is ridiculous.

Tau837
    Participant

I’m probably in a very small minority here, but I fully believe Gott could take us to the final four if he can land us a couple of back to back top 10 recruiting… Get to the F4 and anything can happen. The dude can motivate in the post season no question in my mind.

I’m with you.

If recruiting continues a slow decline in the next couple years…

It is true that recruiting has declined — #4 class in 2012, #15 in 2013, #22 in 2014, not in top 30 in 2015. (Rivals class rankings.)

However, Gott has signed the #1 PG for next year, a top 5 overall recruit, and he is in the hunt for multiple other highly ranked recruits. My guess is that he will have another top 25 class for next year.

As things look today, there is little reason to expect any rotation players to leave other than Cat, but we will gain DSJ, Dorn, and Henderson to go along with matured/better versions of the Martins, Abu, Freeman, and Anya. That looks like a great team, and that doesn’t account for any other signings (Alkins? Azubuike? etc.).

Meanwhile, I think this year’s team will end up better than a lot of fans expect at this point. I expect another NCAA bid, and Gott has proven that he can win games in the postseason. A late season boost from Henderson should help.

TheCOWDOG

Tau is # 8. Yogi Berra, by God.

Rick
    Keymaster

However, Gott has signed the #1 PG for next year, a top 5 overall recruit, and he is in the hunt for multiple other highly ranked recruits. My guess is that he will have another top 25 class for next year.

Losing Bam really hurt. We need some size next year. Even if they all the bigs come back (and that is far from guaranteed) they have not been catching the world on fie this year. And we need some depth.

As things look today, there is little reason to expect any rotation players to leave other than Cat, but we will gain DSJ, Dorn, and Henderson to go along with matured/better versions of the Martins, Abu, Freeman, and Anya. That looks like a great team, and that doesn’t account for any other signings (Alkins? Azubuike? etc.).

The same was said last year and we lost two players. Given we have lost an average of two a year leaving before their eligibility is up I feel very comfortable saying we will lose at least one player to something.

Meanwhile, I think this year’s team will end up better than a lot of fans expect at this point. I expect another NCAA bid, and Gott has proven that he can win games in the postseason. A late season boost from Henderson should help.

I agree that Gott seems to get them ready to play in the tournaments, he is digging himself a very deep hole this year.

choppack1
    Participant

I’m probably in a very small minority here, but I fully believe Gott could take us to the final four if he can land us a couple of back to back top 10 recruiting years

Really? How many other coaches can you say that about? We saw the catch-22 demonstrated perfectly with Bam. In order to have top 10 recruiting classes he needs to get guys like Bam or Amile…but in order to do that he has to prove he can do something better than 12-6 in conference, 7-12 seeds in the NCAA tournament. He hasn’t done that in 4 years at state and didn’t sustain it at Alabama.

He’s done a great job here. He’s proven that we can win and be a consistent player on the national scene, but in order for him to get us to the next level he’s going to have to do something he hasn’t done in 15 years of coaching major college basketball. And I don’t think it matters who laces it up for him

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.