Michigan 66 NC State 59

Home Forums All StateFansNation Michigan 66 NC State 59

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

State drops to 4-3 on the season. Michigan pretty much controlled the entire game. State shot a WOEFUL 33% (23% from three point line) from the field
    [See the full post at: Michigan 66 NC State 59]

Khan
    Participant

Gottfried is a C- coach. But we have a couple of Sweet 16s to show for it, so why complain, amirite?

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Gottfried is a C- coach. But we have a couple of Sweet 16s to show for it, so why complain, amirite?

Is a sweet 16 really that big of an accomplishment to hang your hat on all things considered?

redisgood
    Participant

We lost by 7 points. Mav and Abu were a combined 1 for 17. Virtually every one of those shots were wide open looks, mostly set up by Cat. Freeman was 0-3, all layups. If those three guys shoot a combined 40%, we win by double digits. And I’m talking 40% of easy, wide open shots. I thought our defense played reasonably well though.

TeufelWolf
    Participant

Just a lid on the bucket last night. They got the looks, they took good shots, they hustled, they played D. They just didn’t fall. Abu and Freeman need to go to the rim harder. And they need to get the ball in the hands of the most capable player on the break. I really don’t see us shooting that poorly many nights. We’ll bounce back from this. Go Pack!

PapaJohn
    Participant

Redisgood – you beat me to it. Now we’ll both get flack for defending Gott and the team.

If you watched this game, hardly anything went well. We played terrible. Cat was in foul trouble for much of the game and faced a defense designed to prevent him from driving, Abu seems to have given up the game of basketball altogether, Mav looked like a HS kid … we were awful. Don’t recall seeing the team even trying to run the high post. And other than a few minutes in the second half, the crowd was not into it.

But we were within 4 points late in the game. If we’d just hit some of our point blank shots – I know Mav missed at least one layup, Cody missed one, all of Nard’s shots were in close, Abu missed a couple – just hitting half of those would have won it.

Our defense held one of the best shooting teams in the country to 3 less made 3PT shots than their average, and held them to shooting 35% from three when they average 42%. Of course our interior defense (due to Abu?) was terrible, so that more than made up for our slowing down the three point shooting. And Mav couldn’t keep up with his guy.

And whoever has been criticizing Gott for not playing Kirk – well, that was embarrassing. He looks to have potential, but needs more work.

Hated losing the game, but looking at their strengths versus our weaknesses, I thought we were in trouble.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’d like to know what D you guys saw. I saw easy drives to the rim, no help. And wide open threes.

1manWolfpack
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more with Wulfpack. Our D was decent in the first half but after halftime Beilein made adjustments and attacked us around the soft spot in the middle, near the free throw line, and we couldn’t stop anything. I’ll always be a Gottfried supporter but he got outcoached in the second half. Regardless of Abu’s performance in the past two games he basically gave him zero chances in the second half and that has to kill his confidence (which is already diminished at this point). We started to get something going with the full court press in the second half but had to get away from it because our players were gassed. This whole philosophy of minimal substitutions hurts us when we can’t go back to something that’s working like the press. I’d like to see more substitutions in general, and I’ll take a poor performing Abu in the game over a green player like Kirk any day.

StateRed44
    Participant

Little rose colored analysis here. That game was horrid to watch. Cat cannot pass, is a drive first point guard and couldn’t make a 3 pointer if his life depended on it. Our best player outside of his one dimensional game is twin A, who is too streaky to be dependable. Rowan needs to drive more and more and more. That’s the good news. The inside is an abomination. Abu seems worse than his first game. Other 2 show no improvement. 30% free throws should lose you a scholarship. That makes Shaquille Oneal seem like Terry Gannon. I watch UNC with crisp passes. MOVMENT. Alley Oop dunks off set plays. We can field a team of 4 and 5 star recruits and routinely are getting run off our home court by below average teams. Disgusted.

PackofMac
    Participant

PapaJohn…as you have noticed and at the risk of criticizing a young man, Kirk is far from ACC caliber at this point. Believe me or not I have extensive knowledge of his high school career, he is an athlete and that’s it. Kirk should however grow into a contributing member of our squad given time. We have zero offensive talent down low, period. I for one had zero expectations coming into the season so the loses will not pain me, well, other than a stellar recruiting class in 2016-that expectation is now shot.

Khan
    Participant

Lid on the basket
    Bad luck
    Rebuilding
    The other team was hot
    Refs
    Bad matchups
    Crowd was bad
    Rebuilding
    No leadership
    Too much leadership
    Player transferred
    Player had a bad attitude
    Player suspended
    Player sick
    Rebuilding
    Player hurt
    Player got lost on the way to the game
    The moon was up
    The moon was down
    Rebuilding
    El Nino
    Coriolis force
    A monkey farted in Jamaica
    Rebuilding

NC State Athletics: It’s always something.

mowog67
    Participant

I’m not getting too caught up in this team. They’ve got such a long way to go before being ready for the ACC schedule. My biggest concerns are depth, shot selection and free throw shooting. And that’s just scratching the surface. Lots to work on. Gott is a dang magician if he can get this team in the NCAA.

BassPacker
    Participant

I agree, seems like one excuse after another after another bad performance. One could understand it (maybe) if we lost our star and key player at pg early on but it was the other them that had this happen. Michigan coach changed up after the injury and Gott never had an answer. Which is very telling when it should have been an opportunity any good coach takes advantage of on his home court. I like Gott but into year 5 beginning to question his ability to adjust to most in game situations. Just don’t see how the return of Henderson will make that much a difference this season. But I have hope.

brqan925
    Participant

OK, it’s not fair to blame the loss on one player but Maverick was terrible on both ends of the floor.

Too bad Washington was the one who transferred and not Freeman.

JasonP
    Participant

Lid on the basket
    Bad luck
    Rebuilding
    The other team was hot
    Refs
    Bad matchups
    Crowd was bad
    Rebuilding
    No leadership
    Too much leadership
    Player transferred
    Player had a bad attitude
    Player suspended
    Player sick
    Rebuilding
    Player hurt
    Player got lost on the way to the game
    The moon was up
    The moon was down
    Rebuilding
    El Nino
    Coriolis force
    A monkey farted in Jamaica
    Rebuilding

NC State Athletics: It’s always something.

This is t-shirt worthy.

Eli81
    Participant

I just do not get a feel that our guys know what to do on offense. I watch other teams and they play offense with a game plan and a strategy. I hate to admit it but I enjoyed watching the Carolina / Md. game after ours because both teams played offense – they penetrate and dish outside, they work the ball around and find open people. We, on the otherhand, telegraph passes and make weak passes. There is no sense of purpose with our offense. There is nothing amazing or magical about Mark Turgeon, but in his 5th year at Maryland he has developed a very good team with several nice players. I just don’t understand why we cannot get better – we have a great tradition and should be able to attract good players??? At the end of every year we have an exodus of players and we start the next year off as being a young team. Even Danny Manning at Wake has put together some good young players and seems to be improving on the Bzdelik fiasco. What gives????

eas
    Participant

I agree that most teams have a much more efficient offense than we do. Most teams have a “system” other than your basic NBA clear out or the “famous” NCSU Scott Wood sideline to sideline screen.

GOTT has certainly been a positive overall but his Offense has been AAU since day 1. Of course his Defense really never existed in the first place. Other teams just seem to have purpose on Offense and Defense.

I like the T-Shirt idea above….

Rick
    Keymaster

Khan wins this thread. Maybe the whole internet.

TheCOWDOG

ryebread
    Participant

I’m a bit mixed on this. Historically Gott’s teams have struggled early, peaked at the right time and finished strong. With 4 straight post season opinions, and two Sweet 16s, if anyone deserves some patience to let the season play out, it’s this staff. It’s the best staff and coaching we’ve had since V.

Now the flip side is that I’ve not seen a Gott team with this little talent. We’ve got Cat and a bunch of role players. Our second best player is Caleb Martin and he’s the type of guy that needs to be a 4th option on a really good team. Rowan is Adam Harrington V2. The big men have looked rough. I’ve also not seen us look quite this bad at any point during Gott’s tenure.

My fear is that we’re looking at HWSNBN v2 with Gott. We’re already seeing “4 straight NCAAs” trotted out as blind defense points to specific questions about this year’s team. There are some clear lines in our fan base. Yow’s seemingly squarely in Gott’s camp and just extended his contract. Are we also seeing consistent flaws that will hold us back and prevent us from really breaking through?

My strategy at this point is to not really judge until Henderson is back. If we can beat Mizzou and S. Florida, lose no other games, we’re in decent shape to make a 5th tournament. We really can’t take any more non-conference losses though.

Rick
    Keymaster

If Gott can get this team into the tournament, it will be the best coaching job of his career.
    There are just a lot of holes on this team.

TMD11
    Participant

It would be nice to have an NCAA Championship calibre team for once, and see them play/win handily, and know that they were of that calibre w/o the guess work, and the rationalization, etc.
    Don’t see much improvement in certain players on this team.
    Same old marginal stuff, every year.
    We need development, and we need an offense that doesn’t rely on one man having to create a shot or go one-on-one most times down the floor.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… I like animal crackers in my soup….

Mr. Dog …. GOTT any animal crackers ?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I remember being in 2nd grade, and we sang that as “animal crackers in my POOP”

TOPICAL!!!

Is it confirmed that the grad transfer rule is changing? That would really bone us, as we have probably the #1 reputation in the nation for integrating transfer players. And I don’t mean anything snarky by it. This is the kind of “outside the box” thinking we need, and taking it way only serves the entrenched powers.

choppack1
    Participant

Idk bjd – for transfers accused of sexual assault UMd is the place…but I am glad gott isn’t stooping to those levels.

Hey, we know what we gott – I see one of two things happening in Raleigh – 1) he melts down in a similar fashion to Alabama or 2) we continue to get in the tournament as a bubble boy with a seed somewhere between 7-13.

There will be deviations, but after 14 years of coaching there’s a definite track record and while past performance doesn’t indicate future results, its foolish to expect much different.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.