MBB: Pack In The Final Lists of Two High Profile 2015 Recruits

Home Forums All StateFansNation MBB: Pack In The Final Lists of Two High Profile 2015 Recruits

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Joe Giglio (@jwgiglio) of the Raleigh News & Observer reported today that Mark Gottfried and NC State are in the final mix for two high profile re
    [See the full post at: MBB: Pack In The Final Lists of Two High Profile 2015 Recruits]

burnbarn
    Participant

It seems we are being portrayed a little more positively in the press of late and the holes less so.
    That being said I am not comfortable with articles like this. What if we get neither of these guys?

D Wolf
    Participant

With Bo Ryan announcing his retirement at the end of next season, I would think that Wisconsin likely falls off Rowan’s list, bringing it down to State and St Johns. Although frankly we seem to have a glut of players at that position. (Maybe one of the twins could play some point?) Between State and St Johns, the Pack is the more established team playing in the best conference in college basketball. However, he has some strong ties to St Johns which will be hard to overcome.

A lot of “if’s” with Big Papa. He may decide to stay in Greece next year. It will be interesting to see if the Greek economic situation plays a role in his decision. Assuming he decides to play in college Kentucky has one 7 ft incoming freshman and would become scary again with addition of Papa. I like how the Pack would compare to both St Johns and Oregon as far as opportunity to showcase his talent. The big threat is the Cats, IMHO.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Wow, I’m bit surprised freaking Chris Mullins making waves already for the Red Storm in his first year? That’s impressive I guess. Looks like it may come down to the Pack’s established track record versus a new and apparently charismatic coach.. or more likely Cal gets the 7 footer and makes a last minute pitch to Rowan to snap em both up.

Anybody else take pause when they read the 7 footer is being recruited as a small forward and not a 5? That kid must have a pretty decent game.

rtpack24
    Participant

Rowan’s father played for St Johns.

wolfpackdave13
    Participant

Per Matt Jones, a source with good connections at UK, the Wildcats are out for GP. I’m hearing that he and Rowan are both down to State and St. John’s. Seems to me that between those two schools, for two guys trying to get to the league, State should be the obvious choice. Established coach, playing on Tobacco Road, in the best and most visible conference in America. Mullin’s going to have a very tough couple of years and even if he does well, it’s still the dumpster-fire Big East. Playing in the ACC is the best way to get that draft stock up and both guys would shine in Gottfried’s offense.

And yeah, GP has skills you wouldn’t expect from a 17-year-old seven-footer. He can shoot from distance, including threes, great out of the high post, tenacious defender and rebounder, excellent basketball IQ. He’s definitely got the size for the 5 (and once he fills out he’s going to be a monster), but his skill set comports better with the 4.

wolfpackdave13
    Participant

To clarify, UK is out for GP as in he’s no longer considering them.

D Wolf
    Participant

In this interview today GP mentions 3 teams that he’s considering. NC State popped out of his mouth first, followed by Kentucky, and it seemed like he had to think for a moment to remember St Johns. Who knows how much stock to put in that, but I’d rather be the first one mentioned than the one he’s struggling to remember.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Georgios-Papagiannis-2015-FIBA-U19-World-Championship-Interview-5143

ryebread
    Participant

It would be huge if we could land these two. Both of them can shoot, which is what we really need. I think our offense is a good fit for both and we’ve had to have shown from how we’ve handled other players in their positions that we’re going to let them shoot.

I’m not sure if Papa is going to play ball in the US. If so, then I think it’s Oregon and then NC State. He seemingly is thinking about his “brand” and the Nike connections. I have no clue whether that is remotely realistic, but it might be abroad.

Rowan might end up at SJU because of his dad. You also have to think Mullin is going to value perimeter shooting. I’d really like him because he looks like a 4 year player.

Kentucky has just reloading. I suspect these guys are a little “below” their radar.

I will say this. With Kirk, Dorn (admittedly has to sit) and these two guys, the staff will have done a great job with late recruiting. Of course that’s if we land either……..

MrPlywood
    Participant

What if we get neither of these guys?

And what if Gott lands one or both? The power of positive thinking.

redisgood
    Participant

Rowan seems to be looking for playing time, which would likely make St. John’s the leader. Giorgios could stay in Greece, but his team will probably have to pay him with bitcoins. It would be great to get one of them and fabulous to get both, but I’m not optimistic about either. Nice to be in the running nonetheless.

Wufpacker
    Participant

What if we get neither of these guys?

And what if Gott lands one or both? The power of positive thinking.

I say we kick ass with or without them. Mid-summer optimism at its finest.

On the other hand, the positive football press now has me worried. 😀

newclass
    Participant

Former St John’s player and single game shot block record holder Chris Obekpa To visit NC State. Will have to sit a year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Twin B will be our backup point forward.

If we get the Greek kid, our outlook all of a sudden could be even better than before Lacey’s departure kicked us in the gonads. So many options, top athleticism, and teams will have nightmares trying to deal with our length.

rthomas44
    Participant

Well, gosh and golly be! Could Summer be any more than “ifs and buts were candy and nuts!

redisgood
    Participant

The eight we have are pretty damn good. Either or both of the other two would take it to a whole other level. I would love to see us get Rowan. That would help the floor spacing tremendously.

blpack
    Participant

I think we have a good shot at both. Greece econ is failing again so the big kid probably wants to get out of there and show his skills stateside. I like our chances vs. St Johns with both players. Recruiting is a funny thing though.

MrPlywood
    Participant

More grist for the mill. When interviewed at the U19 tourney, GP mentions State first, didn’t mention Oregon at all. He does mention Kentucky, but as the article notes Kentucky sources say he’s off the table. The article says that State seems to have the inside track and is the best fit.

GP says that he’ll make his decision after the U19 tourney.

Hmmmmm…

article:
    http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/07/03/greek-prospect-georgios-papagiannis-close-to-deciding-future/

interview:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Georgios-Papagiannis-2015-FIBA-U19-World-Championship-Interview-5143/

Texpack
    Participant

If Gott were to pull off both halves of this it would be like drawing to an inside straight. He and his staff work their tails off to the bitter end. I’d especially love to see the Baklava Bomber run with the Pack.

jimi eno47
    Participant

I was hoping that GP was going to make his decision known after the U19 Championship game … which was “yesterday” ( Greece time now 1:12 AM Monday).

PapaJohn
    Participant

Gott to believe that we’d be able to pay better than Greece. LOL

D Wolf
    Participant

I think what we’re dealing with is a language issue. By “after” I’m not sure he meant immediately after. I think he meant that he was concentrating on the tournament and would be thinking about where he wanted to go next after the tournament was over.

redisgood
    Participant

It’s going to be a two part decision. I think we’ll see him decide sometime this week between pro ball in Greece or playing over here. If he decides to go the college route, he will take official visits over the next few weeks. To Oregon and here at a minimum. Probably decide which college end of July, early August.

newclass
    Participant

Keep Hearing the rowan is an almost “lock” for SJU at this point. It’s critical to get him on Campus, which could change his mind, but right now it’s a long shot.

The Greek on the Other hand is deciding his future this week. Its looking like he will be stateside and if that does come to Fruition then we are in great position.

Former SJU Center Chris Obekpa visited Minnesota and removed them from consideration. Right now he is setting up Visits with Arizona State and NC State. Says he will spend the year off working on his offense.

redisgood
    Participant

Papa has decided to stay in Greece. Rowan is pretty much a lock for St. John’s, so in the immortal words of Norman Dale “This is your team”.

And a fine team I think it will be.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.