Louisville Game Thoughts

Home Forums All StateFansNation Louisville Game Thoughts

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Author

It’s been a fun 3 days reveling in the big win Thursday night. The good: our resiliency to keep coming back after our mistakes. The bad: our mistakes. They didn’t cost us this time, but if we keep making them, they WILL cost us at some point.
    What mistakes? Questionable play selection and/or poor execution in the red zone after looking so much better getting there. Giving up big plays – losing contain on several sweeps, broken pass coverage, iirc, on their last touchdown, but could have been a disastrous turning point.

Kudos to our QB and receivers. Best at State since Philip Rivers era! Our RBs. Great stable of HORSES! Our O-line is doing a great job with pass protection but they disappear too often on running plays. Some times I’d just like to see us run, run, and run some more!

Team focus, game to game, has been better than years past, for sure. They cannot let up. Too many smaller, lesser games lost by the red and white throughout our entire history to remind us to not OVERLOOK or LET DOWN against anybody!

Way to go, players and coaches! Keep pounding, Wolfpack!

Texpack
    Participant

The best case for us is to move up 3 spots after this weekend.

Maybe four spots. move past FLA, UL, WVU, AND Utah.

McCallum
    Participant

Great running by backs?

Hines presents significant challenges with his ability to find the edge as well as a match up with linebackers in space. He ran well between the tackles against Louisville but their defensive line is weak.
    I’m not sure if he can handle big hits from the likes of Clempson. RGII will have to up his game and break tackles going forward.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Louisville by at least 20.

State flubs the 1st half, down by 21 at half. Nice 3rd quarter and narrows it to 13 points. Late pick by Louisville seals the deal, 41-20.

All the stars are lining up with “hope” abounding and reports of NC State stupidity and cheapness gaining strength.

Great running by backs?

Hines presents significant challenges with his ability to find the edge as well as a match up with linebackers in space. He ran well between the tackles against Louisville but their defensive line is weak.
    I’m not sure if he can handle big hits from the likes of Clempson. RGII will have to up his game and break tackles going forward.

McCallum,
    L’ville game turned out the opposite of how you said it was going to go. Have a glass of Cool-aid and sit back and relax. If that doesn’t do it, score some Geritol. Meantime try and remember some of the things I wrote this past spring. I’m pretty much right on about how this Pack team was going to do.
    The season is only half over and there are plenty of games for you, Alias and Owen92 to be right about my sanity and failure to grasp reality as Troll sees it.

choppack1
    Participant

Count me in the group who is thrilled and impressed with Nyheim’s improvement – which has been evident if you were paying attention.

He has ran well in 3 straight games. He is getting better as the game goes on, and he is doing well at avoiding negative plays.

The offensive line has been great in these games too…and guess what, we still haven’t played a “perfect” game, enjoying this season.

Quite frankly, seasons like this are why we are fans for a team like NC State.

Greywolf
    Participant

The bad:our mistakes. They didn’t cost us this time, but if we keep making them, they WILL cost us at some point.

nextyearhellwhynotthisyear, I like your user name. 🙂

I agree that if we keep making mistakes they will cost us at some point. Correct our mistakes by making good play calls and good execution. Nothing to it.

State fans see everything as a Wolfpack mistake, hardly ever giving credit to the opponent for good preparation and good play. It’s not as simple as we think it is. Film has been broken down, analytics performed, tendency charts produced etc., etc., etc. Defense slants in the right direction or a run blitz is called and a good play call becomes a blown up play and “a bad play selection or poor execution. The chess match is on.

Coaches are studying to see what defenses are doing to blow up plays, not wringing their hands wondering what play they should have called. Some OCs run the first 15 or so plays from a script to see what defenses do under certain alignments, motions, WR sets. We have coaches, GAs, and Quality control coaches analyzing everything that goes on during the game — charting and comparing to past situations, etc. (I use “etc” a lot because I’m not on the sideline, in the press box or in the meetings to know exactly what IS going on. I only know that there is a lot happening.

Our opponents have down and distance tendencies on every thing we do. When you see us run a play you wouldn’t run, think about this: we are trying to run something that will work against the defensive corrections our coaches are confronting. Or we have seen what the defense will do if we run play “X”.

Some of you think our coaches are dumb and dull. We may have some of the smartest coaches in the business. Did anyone see the ND/UNC game. Some brilliant coaching there — in particular by the holes at the end of the first half. Our guys out coached Jimbo and Petrino and they are suppose to be the smartest. If you watched on TV and bothered to listen to the Hasselbacks explain some of the things that went on, you would get just how well we were prepared on defense. I heard “the Buddy Ryan defense” referred to on the YouTube re-run. I know who Buddy Ryan is but have no idea what the Buddy Ryan defense is.

I wrote all this hoping you will see that not everything we see as mistakes are actual mistakes but instead good defense. Try trying to figure out what our coaches have in mind when they make decisions, call plays on both offense and defense. Why that personnel change? Some times the coaches see, “that didn’t work” and make changes.

Enjoy the Pack’s success. Personally I don’t see a game we don’t have a good chance of winning with the possible exception of Clemson. (We are trying to catch up to Clemson.) Clemson will likely be our toughest test. Hopefully we will enjoy some of the turn of luck we are well past due.

Greywolf
    Participant

If you watched on TV and bothered to listen to the Hasselbacks explain some of the things that went on, you would get just how well we were prepared on defense. I heard “the Buddy Ryan defense” referenced on the YouTube re-run.

Watching the game on YouTube I saw our defense aligned a certain way, then at a point in the QB’s cadence, jump into a different alignment. The QB had made his pre-snap read telling him what kind of coverage, etc., we will be in. When we jumped into another alignment and the QB has some doubt, confusion, etc., and our defense has an advantage. It was executed well enough to limit LJ to below 100 yards rushing, I believe.

Hines has said the offensive coaches are all in on the offense together, which he likes. Sounds to me like our defensive coaches are in it together as well. I don’t like hopes but if I may indulge myself in one, I hope our defense continues to plan together and create defensive game plans that get better and more effective as the season progresses.

Greywolf
    Participant

Count me in the group who is thrilled and impressed with Nyheim’s improvement – which has been evident if you were paying attention.

He has ran well in 3 straight games. He is getting better as the game goes on, and he is doing well at avoiding negative plays.

The offensive line has been great in these games too…and guess what, we still haven’t played a “perfect” game, enjoying this season.

Quite frankly, seasons like this are why we are fans for a team like NC State.

^
    This

McCallum
    Participant

McCallum,
    L’ville game turned out the opposite of how you said it was going to go. Have a glass of Cool-aid and sit back and relax. If that doesn’t do it, score some Geritol. Meantime try and remember some of the things I wrote this past spring. I’m pretty much right on about how this Pack team was going to do.
    The season is only half over and there are plenty of games for you, Alias and Owen92 to be right about my sanity and failure to grasp reality as Troll sees it.

1) I never drink the kool-aid(flavor-aid is what they really drank at Jonestown, kudos rthomas)

2) What you wrote is irrelevant to me since you are emotionally attached to a team with a less than .500 lifetime winning percentage. So you WILL hit right once every 25-30 years but year in and year out I’ll clean you clock.

3) I hope you nail it Grey. I hope State wins all their games and all the alumni get laid when we beat Alabama but that would not change a history of very bad coaching hires and sh.itting on the fans.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

I hope State wins all their games and all the alumni get laid when we beat Alabama but that would not change a history of very bad coaching hires and sh.itting on the fans.

You got perfect hindsight, just not so great at predicting how games are going to go.

Greywolf
    Participant

I hope State wins all their games and all the alumni get laid when we beat Alabama but that would not change a history of very bad coaching hires and sh.itting on the fans.

Mac, listening to you is like reading old weather reports. Interesting but not much use in looking towards the future.

McCallum
    Participant

N=1

McCallum

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.